Radiator Caps - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee

Portal Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 56 Times in 24 Posts
Default Radiator Caps

Could anyone please tell me what is the difference between a Tridon Radiator Cap that is stamped 16/110 versus 20/135?

I am currently using a 20/135 on a Mopar radiator [it did not come with this radiator] and I am having all of my coolant and most likely water, spray in the surrounding area of the filler cap. I have only had this cap for about 1 year.

I have recently purchased a 16/110 from Ebay and I am wondering if this is more suitable?

The car is a Pre Update 4.0L I6.

Many thanks to you in advance....

Sponsored Posts
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Rock Munki

Liked 280 Times in 167 Posts

cap pressure in psi/kpa
i belive 16 is stock.
'95 sport,4.6 stroker, 4.5" lift, 32"s, 4:10's, 8.25&SYE, taurus fan
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Full Flexer

Liked 56 Times in 24 Posts

Thanks Rainman ... so if I have a cap that is rated higher, does this mean that the coolant won't go back into the reservoir properly .... i.e. I will have a loss over a period of time?

This is what has happened with the 20/135 ... I have had spluttering over the immediate area.... the Mopar radiator is only about 2 yo, if that...
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Rock Munki

Liked 280 Times in 167 Posts

well regardless of pressure it should go from the radator to the reserve bottle. should not leak. i have a cable tie around where the overflow hose attaches to the nipple on the radator.
'95 sport,4.6 stroker, 4.5" lift, 32"s, 4:10's, 8.25&SYE, taurus fan
Sponsored Posts
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Senior Newbie

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

16psi is the standard recommendation .
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Full Flexer

Liked 227 Times in 150 Posts

I fitted a 16psi Tridon cap, due to slight coolant loss, and evidence of foaming, looked alright, but new one fixed the problem.

The Jeep rad caps seem to be somewhat tight, compared to other vehicles?, maybe the rubber sealing ring can get abraded using so much force?,,, I checked my rad neck for any imperfections
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Full Flexer

Liked 482 Times in 254 Posts

Ive got a 16psi Stant Lever Vent rad cap on my 95 XJ. Never had a problem with it. I use it so i can test the pressure in my system. They are cheap to buy and work well.

At the end of the hose that goes into your overflow bottle, i put in an old bicycle tube valve. I then put a bike pump that has a gauge on it, and pump the system up while the Lever on the rad cap is open. I can then check for leaks by watching to see if the pressure goes down, or using one of those uv blue light torches that are a dollar on ebay. The light makes the coolant glow.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...okee/year/1995

Cheers,
Old 2 Weeks Ago
CrawlerStar

Liked 176 Times in 118 Posts

That's a nifty setup Alex.
Post New Thread  Reply