Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2007
Don't do it. I'm NUTS!

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default REVIEW: Projecta Typhoon 12V Compressor

PROJECTA TYPHOON 12V COMPRESSOR REVIEW

Specifications:

According to the Projecta website the Typhoon has a max flow rate of 150L per min and is capable of pressures up to 150 PSI.

Comparing this to a more popular branded (but also more expensive) Twin Tongue, on paper the Projecta seems to have the upper hand.

Let’s compare the specifications and prices of both.

Projecta Typhooon
Max Flow Rate: 150L per minute
Max Pressure: 150 PSI
Cost: $165 delivered (4WD1.com)

Twin Tongue
Max Flow Rate: 84L per minute
Max Pressure: 100 PSI
Cost: $600 - $700 (Opposite Lock)

As you can see, in theory it looks like the Typhoon is giving the Twin Tongue a run for its money, especially taking cost into consideration. But we all know that theory doesn’t always equate to reality.

Initial impressions:

The Typhoon came adequately packaged in its own plastic carry case which seems durable enough for infrequent use. If you were to use this pump more than 4 times a week I can foresee the lid breaking free of the base. It’s not a well moulded carry case but most drivers would opt to install the pump inside their vehicle anyway.

Hose and pressure gauge is of the usual substandard quality you find in most Chinese made copies of the popular brands, but again, for the weekend 4 wheel driver it will suffice.

The pump itself is made out of lower quality metal and this is quite obvious. Heat-sinks are also made of lower quality aluminium. Although this may deter prospect buyers, the construction itself is adequate for its purposes. Comparing the Typhoon’s construction to say a “Max Air” Chinese copy, I would consider the Typhoon to be of higher standards.

The pump also comes with a little pouch attached to the hose that contains various connectors for your general camping and sporting goods.

Total weight of pump and all of its accessories in the carry case weigh in at about 7.5kg

Performance:

This is the area that I was particularly interested in. I was optimistic that we have finally been rewarded with a quality product which performs as quoted and for a reasonable price. After all, this is the “aussie” culture.

According to online reports on the Twin Tongue, many claim that they are able to pump up their 33” tyres from 15-30 PSI in under 60 seconds. I considered that to be an honourable effort and expected my trusty Typhoon to “blow it away”.

Unfortunately this wasn’t the case. In my real world testing I have found that it takes approximately 1 min 50 seconds to pump up a 32” tyre from 14 – 34 PSI. The last 8 PSI took almost as long to pump up as the first 12 PSI did. What this shows is that the pump is capable of the manufacturer specifications if it is not under load and this makes guess work of what the pumps real world capabilities are.

I also noticed that the pressure gauge did not show the correct pressure while in operation. You had to turn off the pump for an accurate indication. Though the pressure indicated was within 1 PSI which is quite commendable considering the quality.

Regardless of these results, I was still impressed that I could pump up all 4 tyres in under 10 minutes and be on my way without feeling nervous that the pump will break down on me by the time I get on to my 3rd tyre. I am of the opinion that this compressor could effortlessly continue pumping up another 4 tyres after mine.

One aspect I was thoroughly impressed with is the noise levels produced while in operation. With my Dick Smith noise meter positioned directly next to the Typhoon (1cm away), it only produced a barely audible 80dB.

The Typhoon’s cooling abilities were also quite impressive. In an ambient outside temperature of approximately 30 deg Celsius, the heat-sinks recorded an operating temperature of approximately 60 degrees after 5 minutes of use. All other parts of the pump would record no more than body temperature.

Conclusions:

I have seen prices of the Projecta Typhoon advertised as high as $400. I feel sorry for anyone who purchased this pump for anything over $250 delivered as I feel that although I regard this pump to be of the “higher” quality of Chinese copies, it just does not deliver the performance of its common known competitor, the Twin Tongue; and for very valid reasons.

For the weekend warriors this is a perfect compromise between cost and performance, but for the serious 4 wheel driver I recommend they put their money towards a Twin Tongue, or even better an on-board air system.

I would rate the Typhoon as follows:

Performance 3/5 stars
Quality 3.5/5 stars
Price 4/5 stars
Overall 4/5 stars

*Overall rating takes all 3 aspects into consideration but is not an average of the 3 combined.

Final thoughts:

Great performing compressor for the weekend 4 wheel driver and/or camper with the confidence in knowing it will perform satisfactorily for many enjoyable weekends.

Sponsored Posts
Old 12-01-2009
Don't do it. I'm NUTS!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well I've had this pump for over 12 months now and here are my findings.

* Pump still works flawlesly. Still quiet and performance hasn't decreased
* Hose has now streched out and will barely fit in the case
* The hose + fitting gets extreemly hot during operation and this makes detaching the hose a dangerous task (burns etc)
* The case is still in one peice BUT the lock tabs come off too easy meaning the lid opens up all the time.

I have had this pump operating in 38 deg + ambient temps and it has never let me down.

Quite impressed with this pump overall.
Old 12-01-2009
Pollie Waffle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the review mate,

I have a Projecta pump that I got from Jeepology. Whilst it is great for the odd jobs and non-jeep cars I have around the house, I find that it just dosn't have the ability to inflate 33's..

Still, not complaining thought
Old 12-01-2009
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought an unbranded Twin pump called Dual Power off ebay for $75. This is exactly the same pump that was branded Projecta but has now been discontinued. If you are quick you might still get one for this price. Has carry case and all the bits and pieces that have been described in the last few posts.
Sponsored Posts
Old 03-12-2009
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought one from Sprint Auto for $159 works o.k...
Old 14-01-2010
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaby View Post
I bought an unbranded Twin pump called Dual Power off ebay for $75. This is exactly the same pump that was branded Projecta but has now been discontinued. If you are quick you might still get one for this price. Has carry case and all the bits and pieces that have been described in the last few posts.
If you search you'll find a couple of copies like this. I picked up one for $50.

Just do a search for 150L compressor on ebay and you'll find them.
Sponsored Posts
Old 14-01-2010
Banned

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

seriously, its like comparing a tigerz11 winch to a warn winch

ARB compressor all the way..................
Old 14-01-2010
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out my Ride(s)

just bought one four $170 from power 4x4 landsvale.
Post New Thread  Reply