Myths and fairy tails about the VM TD - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM - AJOR

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM - AJOR > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee

Portal Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-06-2010
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,069 Times in 668 Posts

Interesting read, it will be interesting to hear what will be said of the humble 4.0 litre petrol....

Do it once, Do it right!

95/97 hybrid
IRO/OME/JK 2" lift
IRO SYE
ARB bar
Old 01-06-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezelweazel View Post

I use Mobil1 TurboDiesel 0 W40 during the summer and Mobil 1 Delvac 5W40 in the winter, I can afford to buy it, because I got cheaper 60l drums.
Wow, 60 litres of mobil 1? That must cost a fortune!!
Old 01-06-2010
No Winching

Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejuice View Post
Interesting read, it will be interesting to hear what will be said of the humble 4.0 litre petrol....
heh heh ....

I'm thinking the "humble 4.0l petrol" might survive the blitzkrieg but its cooling system might not.

Good stuff deezelweazel .... keep it coming .....
Old 01-06-2010
i am the CIG

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts

i use cat deo in mine

Proud member of the "She'll Be Right" Gang
yes LEZ is my brother
Sponsored Posts
Old 01-06-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts

@davesta:
That's what I thought too, but it's less than 50% (320€ incl. tax)compared with a single liter.
Maybe mil. discount does play a role, too.
Trust me, I couldn't afford it otherwise.
My first thought was it might be to thin- and I expected rattle of the hydraulic valve lifters but after checking clearances it is ok- not more noise than usual.
It does help while starting.

Maybe you are going to ask why is he using a thicker oil during the winter? Simple explanation: I try to avoid use during winter. Salt on the road is to aggressive. So it's parked the most time in a garage.
Just trying to cut the corners with "cheaper" oil during storage.

@murray: Isn't cat deo an ACEA E5 oil? Good stuff, must be horrible expensive as all CAT stuff.

But after all oil is not the problem in this engine. The oil circuit can and must be used as an additional cooling aid take take off the heat load of the coolant cuirciut!
Do not remove the built in water/ oil cooler. It isn't a real help to get heat out of the engine bcause the heat of the oil is transferred back to the poor coolant layout.
It does help to warm up the oil during cold start.

Remember first heat law: Heat is always transferred from the hot medium to the cold, never vice versa.

You must grab for every advantage you get:
most people don't know:
A silver radiator surface has only 90% of the heat transfer capability of a black one.
So which one are you going to choose the next time? An alloy radiator?
You are just wasting 10% heat transfer...

You can't afford waste of heat transfer, if you want to drive that Diesel!

Do not replace the stock water pump with trick or high flow units. Just make sure it is in good working condition.
High flow also means a short heat transfer time in the radiator. That results in higher heat preload as the coolant comes back into the engine.
This rule is also transferrable for the gasser. ( By the way: It also consumes a lot of hp!)
The second dangerous thing about it is cavitation. The coolant pump starts to add air bubbles at high speeds. Here we go again- bubbles are big trouble.

You don't believe that?
Get a water pump for the electric drill and attach some clear plastic hoses and start to pump water- 1.try: low speed, 2.try: high speed
ups, were do those bubbles come from during high speed?
Caviation!

Do not decrease the amount of coolant- it is also lubricant for the waterpump!
The coolant circuit does contain a lot of different materials.Copper, brass, iron and alloy- not really an ideal combination.
So make sure to keep the coolant fresh- it does also contain corrosion inhibitors.
You need them!

Flush your coolant system! You need an aggressive acid to get rid of the dirt! I already mentioned it, I got a tablespoon of dirt out of the heater only!! It does work afterwards! It is also a welcomed aid during high load conditions. If the needle climbs into the red zone, turn on your heater- you need every assistance you can get.
Windows can be pulled down, by the way...

Last edited by Deezelweazel; 01-06-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-06-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts

Do not obsruct airflow to the radiator. I know about the cool bars and aux lights in front of the radiator. They are an absolute nono!
Just have a look at the FSM. It is also mentioned in them.
They do not write it for fun!
Sponsored Posts
Old 01-06-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezelweazel View Post
Flush your coolant system! You need an aggressive acid to get rid of the dirt!
What do you think about using white vinegar as a cooling system flush? I've seen it mentioned a couple of times on naxja... (i don't actually own a diesel, just curious in general...)
Old 01-06-2010
i am the CIG

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts

i also use cat elc top stuff

Proud member of the "She'll Be Right" Gang
yes LEZ is my brother
Post New Thread  Reply