PDA

View Full Version : first car?

Larry_
08-10-2010, 12:49 PM
hi all,
looking for my first car, and seriously considering a jeep.
i want a fairly capable 4x4, but also something good for driving on road.
looking at spending around 4-5k which i know isnt alot but all i can afford for now,
cherokees seem to be the only thing in my pricerange, which i dont mind because i like the look of them and they have decent engine ect, my only problem is i was looking for a manual and the 2.5l diesels appear to be rare at my price.
how do the autos go offroad/onroad, is there a common manual conversion worth doing
any other advice/ info would be much appreciated

Ben73
08-10-2010, 01:39 PM
2.5 Diesel Cherokee's have some problems I am led to beleieve. The 4.0L seams to be a pretty good vehicle.

Richo
08-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Rediculous repair costs on common faults like cylinder head issues would dictate that you should avoid diesel XJ's.

I too was dubious about an auto petrol, but after owning one for a couple of years loved it. Auto makes them a good daily driver and very usable and flexible offroad.
$4-$5k should get you into a reasonable one, maybe even with some minor off road mods. They are bombproof engine wise, but have some common issues regarding crank sensors and other minor things, most of which is an easy fix.

They are fairly capable offroad as standard, and with usual mods can be made even better. They can be thirsty when driven hard though.

Fletch
08-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Having owned both model XJ's the diesel is awsome off road and for touring but as mentioned it can be expensive to fix if something goes wrong.
The Auto Cherokee is a great 4x4 and dont worry about trying to change to manual, the auto is better off road if you learn the correct driving skills, join a jeep club and learn how to use it properly and you will enjoy owning an XJ.

Yom
08-10-2010, 02:24 PM
get one on LPG and don't be too worried by the fuel costs.

they use less fuel than most other petrol 4wds of the same era.

other vehicles in your price range would be GQ patrols (both LWB and SWB). coil sprung and super reliable also better offroad in stock form than an XJ and better as far as mod for mod goes too (in australia at least). but the petrols are super thirsty and DO need gas to be reasonable to run if you're on a lowish budget.

Also, do what fletch said. These vehicles are more than capable to get you into some dangerous situations off road, either join a club or organise yourself to go 4wding with others in your area who are willing to show you the ropes and start you off learning! Have fun!!

Larry_
08-10-2010, 02:36 PM
thanks for the helpful feedback
ill definitely steer clear of the diesel, i really like the cherokees and youve almost won me over to the autos :/ haha
ill probably be looking to put some MT tyres first and then maybe suspension or body lift (or both) down the track, as well as spotties bullbar ect, nothing too crazy
how much would i be looking at for lift kit or whatever you use on jeeps (sorry im pretty noob at this kind of stuff)
thanks

Tassie Jeeper
08-10-2010, 04:17 PM
thanks for the helpful feedback
ill definitely steer clear of the diesel, i really like the cherokees and youve almost won me over to the autos :/ haha
ill probably be looking to put some MT tyres first and then maybe suspension or body lift (or both) down the track, as well as spotties bullbar ect, nothing too crazy
how much would i be looking at for lift kit or whatever you use on jeeps (sorry im pretty noob at this kind of stuff)
thanks

can get a full suspension lift kit fom like 2" - 6" + for 2k or less if u shop around i would suggest lookin on google or 4wd1.com (wooders.com ect)

personal opinion id steer clear of body lift if able and if u must use it than keep it to a minimum

kj69
08-10-2010, 04:22 PM
you cant do a body lift on a xj cherro (unibody )