PDA

View Full Version : Fake Winch Ropes

Black Bull
16-10-2010, 11:48 AM
I've now seen on a few other forums adds for cheap synthetic winch ropes.

They are not Australian made and the cheaper stuff is not even made from Dyneema fibre! :eek:
When it comes to recovery gear, buy the best you can afford. you're better off with steel rope than cheap Chinese synthetic stuff.

The potential for Damage and Injuries in recovery situations is not where you should be taking short cuts.
after all how much is the safety of your family and friends really worth?

flexytj
16-10-2010, 12:55 PM
what makes are the fake ropes and who are the sellers , respond via pm if you dont want to name names in this thread

Jeeps
16-10-2010, 02:52 PM
I know that Tigerz11 supply Dyneema rope for about $300 for 30m and the specs of the their winches say they use dyneema. Which other cheap brands use rope?

chers

Wolfe
16-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Black Bull, you've just registered and your post is about crap quality rope (apparently).
Is you next post going to be about the 'quality' rope you sell?

this smells a bit. Time to come clean? Or is there something else?

I've seen other posts by BB and I don't think he's pushing anything. I could be wrong but I think he's just an enthusiastic newcomer.

Black Bull
16-10-2010, 06:22 PM
I can and do sell Winch ropes and winches amongst other things, But, I have no need to plug my "Products" on every forum I'm a member on.
If you Google a certain brand or Winch rope or various other products you'll find me easy enough:D

My concern here was simply that people would pay good money for an inferior and potentially dangerous winch rope. ;)

MR EXTREME JEEP
16-10-2010, 06:56 PM
WHeres Glossodia?

ASH79
16-10-2010, 07:03 PM
I'd also like to know which rope not to buy. I'm thinking of ditching my cable in favour of some decent plasma rope. I've been in recoveries where a winch cable is all that is keeping you on all fours (or getting you back on all fours ;) ) I'm certainly 1 who is not interested in saving a few dollars for such an important part of the winch

SeaComms
16-10-2010, 07:10 PM
The Dyneema 75 seems to be the most popular one I have seen around, available from Tigerz11 retailers, ie, DBOR :)

Black Bull
16-10-2010, 07:41 PM
WHeres Glossodia?

Base of the Blue mountains
I'd also like to know which rope not to buy. I'm thinking of ditching my cable in favour of some decent plasma rope. I've been in recoveries where a winch cable is all that is keeping you on all fours (or getting you back on all fours ;) ) I'm certainly 1 who is not interested in saving a few dollars for such an important part of the winch

The Dyneema 75 seems to be the most popular one I have seen around, available from Tigerz11 retailers, ie, DBOR :)

As long as you stick to the name brands (Dynamica, Plasma, Tigerz etc ) and make sure it's SK60 or SK75 you'll be ok. if in doubt ask for a QA or test certificate for it

CRUSHU
17-10-2010, 06:18 PM
I am about to list a Smittybilt Winch Rope, it is made from Dyneema SK75, and is 10,000lb rated.
Would that be on the "approved" list?

Black Bull
17-10-2010, 06:37 PM
lol, yeah should be fine mate

Gildo
18-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Smittybuilt source their winch rope in China.
Same as they source their winches and have most of their barwork made there (here for me)

Is that OK or not?

Where in Oz is plasma rope made?

CRUSHU
18-10-2010, 06:44 AM
Most places source their barwork in Asia, ARB, TJM, Ironman to name a few locals.

Black Bull
18-10-2010, 10:05 AM
TJM is made in-house at tier factory in geebung, qld.

Only prototypes and initial production Runs.
The Lion's share of them come from Asia.
I used to manage a TJM store ;)

Rosie
18-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Arb are all built in Australia.

Tonka Jeep
18-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Amsteel Blue is my rope of choice, never had an issue with it, had it now on two different vehicles...

CRUSHU
18-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Arb are all built in Australia.

You should check that, I don't believe that is correct....

SeaComms
18-10-2010, 05:03 PM
They do have a Thailand manufacturing plant to "suplement" the Aussie manufacturing. Read that how you like, but my guess is 99.9% of the gear would come from Thailand now due to the (much) cheaper manufacturing costs.

rainman
18-10-2010, 06:39 PM
I think the fact it is cheaper to import a ARB locker from the states than buy one here. puts paid to the "made in Australia" argument.
Designed & developed probably (hope so) but manufactured? how does that work? Cheaper to ship to USA, then pay retail, then air freight back to Australia. Than to pay retail here in Australia- assuming it has come from the factory on a truck?. - I mean that makes no sense at all economic or otherwise.

Jeeps
18-10-2010, 06:59 PM
I think the fact it is cheaper to import a ARB locker from the states than buy one here. puts paid to the "made in Australia" argument.
Designed & developed probably (hope so) but manufactured? how does that work? Cheaper to ship to USA, then pay retail, then air freight back to Australia. Than to pay retail here in Australia- assuming it has come from the factory on a truck?. - I mean that makes no sense at all economic or otherwise.

Very true but ARB have some of the flashiest showrooms I've ever seen and they have to pay for them somehow ;)

Cheers

Mur
18-10-2010, 08:33 PM
They do have a Thailand manufacturing plant to "suplement" the Aussie manufacturing. Read that how you like, but my guess is 99.9% of the gear would come from Thailand now due to the (much) cheaper manufacturing costs.

Thailand plant does stuff for export markets. And only a very limited amount at that..

All the major stuff in Australian stores is still Australian made. barwork, diff locks canopies.

CRUSHU
18-10-2010, 08:50 PM
ARB moved their production of bar work from China to Thailand when the Chinese were selling to other retailers...
It is cheaper to buy Aussie made Lightforce & ARB in the US mainly due to the tighter competition of the market place, and Export credits from the Government etc etc.

MR EXTREME JEEP
18-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Bigger market gets a better discount too.

Gildo
19-10-2010, 02:38 AM
So does anyone really know where Amsteel and Dynemma ropes are made?

Is there really a factory in Oz that still manufactures anything?

Where do you source your products Black Bull?

BLU-125
19-10-2010, 07:30 PM
I got 27m of 9.5mm Dyneema rope yesterday from Ironman, (I'm a dealer), and it's a light grey colour. Is this typical of the Dyneema from other suppliers?

Black Bull
19-10-2010, 09:11 PM
So does anyone really know where Amsteel and Dynemma ropes are made?

Is there really a factory in Oz that still manufactures anything?

Where do you source your products Black Bull?

I get mine from an Australian supplier, but the actual rope is made in Holland, same manufacture as Amsteel blue I think

I got 27m of 9.5mm Dyneema rope yesterday from Ironman, (I'm a dealer), and it's a light grey colour. Is this typical of the Dyneema from other suppliers?

yeah, most common is blue, but I've seen Orange and Grey too.

From what I understand of the manufacturing process you could have it made in most of the colors you see synthetic fibers made in, obviously though it'd have to be a pretty big order

Gildo
19-10-2010, 11:19 PM
So what is your point?
What is there thats actually AUSTRALIAN MADE about your rope?
This is what you alluded too in your first post.
What is the difference between the imported Chinese and the imported Dutch ropes?
Is there any proof of what you say or just that you believe that your product is better than others?