PDA

View Full Version : Help With XJ Trans

Pre 97 XJ Limited
19-08-2011, 02:06 AM
hi guys i just bought a 97 xj limited 4 litre aw4 auto i think and for the first 2 days it drove perfectly but then suddenly it started to hesitate off the line it would do nothing then smash into gear with a lot of force while moving its perfect but reversing up my driveway it started to hesitate so i gave it a little more gas and suddenly there was a big bang and it just took off and started to spin the wheels i checked the trans fluid and it was fairly low so then i checked the box and there seems to be oil leaking between the trans and TC just wondering what was causing the bang and where the leak my be coming from

TheOoz
19-08-2011, 05:03 AM
Can you share some pics? The trans issue sounds like a symptom and perhaps you have a throttle issue.

ginjaninja
19-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Sounds to me like the transmission needs topping up, the transmission relies on the fluid to lubricate and pressurize the valve body, no fluid means no drive, I would top up the transmission first, see if the problem goes away, if it does then you need to find the cause of the leak

tazwegion
19-08-2011, 11:00 AM
When did the previous owner claim the transmission was last serviced?

dazza96
19-08-2011, 02:18 PM
i went throught this problem a while ago and if its leaking out between the gear box and torque converter you are up for a pump kit for the auto no biggie cost about 500 bucks for the kit to be suplyed and fiited if ya pull the box out ya self and the bang in to gear is normal when auto is low on oil
cheers daz
speak to jj
he may have a spare box or some thing

Pre 97 XJ Limited
19-08-2011, 04:28 PM
When did the previous owner claim the transmission was last serviced?

he said the whole car was serviced 3k ago but when he sold it to me he said it wasnt fit for what he wanted it for but i have a feeling that he may have broken/overheated something because he was using it to tow a 30ish foot fibreglass yacht which by the look of it weighed at least 2.5 ton because the tow bar has been bent downward as for the gear box i dont have any photos but there is oil over the whole pan and it dosent leak unless its moving hope this helps

TheOoz
20-08-2011, 05:58 AM
Wash it down. Find the leak. Fix the leak. Fill it with fresh oil. Let us know if that fixes it.

Oil level is checked at operating temperature (hot) on a flat surface with XJ in neutral or park and engine running. Pull the stick out, clean it, put it back in, pull it out again and see where the oil sits in comparison to the mark.

Don't get any dirt on the dipstick, as you'll be putting it straight into the transmission when you put the dipstick back.