PDA

View Full Version : Who does long range fuel tanks for the XJ?

fieds83
21-08-2011, 01:07 PM
As the title states, looking for a long range tank as i never want to be left short on a long trip. Looking for something solid and/or with some form of protection.

Anyone care to share their experience, will be much appreciated.

Cheers

XJeepers
21-08-2011, 03:10 PM
AFAIK, the only company that does long range tanks for the XJ is LRA. From what I have read they are the goods.

Steve F
21-08-2011, 03:25 PM
I have a 120lt Brown Davis tank in mine. I've backed into a stump with it and ridden up over it taking the weight of the XJ on it, it got a slight dent at the rear edge but you cant even spot it in the pics :)

http://www.longrange.com.au/navtankmodels.html#jeep

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc200/steveff/LEDIndicatorsNoNum.jpg

Cheers
Steve

junglejuice
21-08-2011, 04:24 PM
I also have the Brown Davis unit and am very happy with it....

Deezelweazel
21-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Folks, you make me crazy for wanting these things.

At the moment I'm building a permanent reserve fuel tank like the LRA, but remaining inside the "frame". Of course it will have a much lower capacity- therefore "reserve".
I don't like to carry Jerry cans inside the car.
Never heard about the Brown Davis.:-o

XJeepers
21-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Well there you go, I always though that LRA was the only one :) Always good to have options.

sbadman
21-08-2011, 09:16 PM
I believe 4WD Systems in South Australia (distributor of the Lokka) do a 125L tank as well.

There's also a ~55L aux tank by LRA I think that goes on the passenger side. I fantasize about winning Lotto and combining the two for up to 180L capacity :D

tazwegion
21-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Never heard about the Brown Davis.:-o

Here you go then Brown Davis (http://www.longrange.com.au/) ;)

Well there you go, I always though that LRA was the only one :) Always good to have options.

Well actually seeing as nobody has mentioned them yet there's also a company called The Long Ranger (http://www.thelongranger.com.au/longrangefueltankaccessories.html) that make a 51L auxiliary tank for the XJ Cherokee :mrgreen:

I've owned 2 Cherokees fitted with LRA auxiliary tanks and they worked flawlessly, the only issue I had was when the tanks were almost empty the remaining fuel sloshing about tended to evade the pickup and the engine would stall ;)

Big Dave
21-08-2011, 10:09 PM
LRA, Brown Davis & 4wd systems all do a replacement 125Lish tank & LRA do 50L auxiliary tank for when doing an lpg conversion, which can also be coupled with the replacement tanks for even more range. They all cost about $950 new. I was lucky enough to pick my LRA 125L for $200 second hand :)

Steve F
21-08-2011, 10:16 PM
I got my 120lt Brown Davis tank for $200 second hand as well :)

Cheers
Steve

anthonygubbin
21-08-2011, 10:19 PM
I have an LRA in mine as a aux tank for the LPG. Holds around 50L. I scored mine for $33 bucks from the self service wreckers in Adelaide. Mind you I had to carve it up and sandblast the inside to remove surface rust which I did myself for around 10 bucks of sand. I then had a mate mig it back up in exchange for some work on his yard (2-3hrs).
The hardest part was fitting it that took me 40+hrs. With the LPG and and petrol I get just over 600km range, where as before I had around 470km with just the plastic tank.

Regards A

fieds83
22-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys, might go on the hunt for a used one. My Jeep is a bit of a budget build up and I'm not in a rush. Also on the hunt for an ARB winch bar or similar.

Deezelweazel
22-08-2011, 09:24 PM
125L+ 50L= awesome :shock:

ginjaninja
22-08-2011, 09:30 PM
A question for the guys that have long range tanks? Do they come with bash plates or are they made with thicker metal?

My standard tank hangs quite low as it is but has a factory bash plate to protect it

anthonygubbin
22-08-2011, 10:11 PM
A question for the guys that have long range tanks? Do they come with bash plates or are they made with thicker metal?

My standard tank hangs quite low as it is but has a factory bash plate to protect it

I reckon mine is about 1.6mm which is pretty thick. I can dent it but it would be pretty damn hard to put a hole in it. Also my LRA has internal baffles which second as reinforcing.

regards A

Steve F
22-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Mine is pretty darn thick, with my lift it hasn't really been an issue with it only hitting once when reversing and even then it was a couple of decent hits with very minimal damage.

Cheers
Steve

anthonygubbin
22-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Rust is the biggest issue as it stuffs up the fuel pump.

Regards A

junglejuice
23-08-2011, 01:59 AM
Mine is 2.0mm I reckon and as I don't have as much lift as SteveF that is a good thing as I have hit it a few times since fitting it with no obvious damage apart from the dents that were already in it when I bought it from the wreckers....

Deezelweazel
23-08-2011, 03:51 AM
Thanks for the link taz! :smile:

I'm showing pics when proceeding with my aux tank (model is finished). It's just a tiny one about 20L - I will use primary for engine heater fuel supply. Because i can use legal cheap furnace oil for it.

tazwegion
23-08-2011, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the link taz! :smile:

I'm showing pics when proceeding with my aux tank (model is finished). It's just a tiny one about 20L - I will use primary for engine heater fuel supply. Because i can use legal cheap furnace oil for it.

I will look forward to reading your write up, furnace oil eh? the heating in our new place has an old (distillate) oil heater (circa 1970's) with the local distributor charging $1.80 per litre I'll be using bowser diesel (and shop-a-dockets) instead :lol: mind you from what I've read the only difference between the two is regular diesel is more refined and has lower sulphur content ;)

Deezelweazel
23-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Missing additives- thats it. They don't do 2 different sulfur levels-at least in europe.
They can be easily added if necessary.
Furnance- the red dyed stuff is 89 cent compared to 1.40€ per litre.
So you save a bunch-but only for "heating" purposes.;)

For this reason, also called "to be in line with law" I keep the engine heater.
A second fuel & filter line seperates the two systems. Coincidently the same filter size and layout...

tazwegion
23-08-2011, 07:44 PM
Missing additives- thats it. They don't do 2 different sulfur levels-at least in europe.
They can be easily added if necessary.
Furnance- the red dyed stuff is 89 cent compared to 1.40€ per litre.
So you save a bunch-but only for "heating" purposes.;)

For this reason, also called "to be in line with law" I keep the engine heater.
A second fuel & filter line seperates the two systems. Coincidently the same filter size and layout...

I don't think the sulphur is an additive as such more like there is less present in diesel due to a higher refining process :mrgreen:

Deezelweazel
23-08-2011, 08:47 PM
The reduction of sulfur is done to fullfill emission restrictions with modern commmon rail engines + particle filters.
High sulfur content causes engine wear.

layback40
23-08-2011, 11:15 PM
I will look forward to reading your write up, furnace oil eh? the heating in our new place has an old (distillate) oil heater (circa 1970's) with the local distributor charging $1.80 per litre I'll be using bowser diesel (and shop-a-dockets) instead :lol: mind you from what I've read the only difference between the two is regular diesel is more refined and has lower sulphur content ;)

Many farmers used tractor diesel in their oil heaters in years gone by. Burns about the same.
I am yet to find a good cheaper alt to diesel.
Have been told that used ATF works good provided its filtered well but the problem is finding a supply large enough to make it worth while.

anthonygubbin
24-08-2011, 12:23 AM
I don't think the sulphur is an additive as such more like there is less present in diesel due to a higher refining process :mrgreen:

The reduction of sulfur is done to fullfill emission restrictions with modern commmon rail engines + particle filters.
High sulfur content causes engine wear.

I read somewhere and saw it on TV that they use sulphur to help lubricate, rather than decrease. The problem was like Deezel says they stopped it due to emssions. Apparently they did not want another town like the one south west inland Tassie.
No seriously I heard about it because locals over here on on Kangaroo Island are using home made bio stuff from the fish n chip shops. But they needed to find some solution to not being allowed to add sulphur. Although in saying that they probably do add it. You can get away with pretty much anything on the Island, within reason.

Regards A

two dogs
24-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Browns davis seems great but i dont like that the whole tank must be dropped down to remove the sender unit/pump as its on top, i think the LRA ones access similar to standard tanks and are on the front/side of the tank. Just a thought if you have the option between the two.

Deezelweazel
26-08-2011, 07:12 PM
In fact you have to cut down oil changes into half if you have more sulfur than 1% due to increased engine wear.
Sulfur kills also injectors. Sulfur is a major problem in africa...

Bio adds lubricity, but max. lubricity is reached with only 2% of bio in diesel.
They go with filtered waste veggie oil in old style IDI diesels in germany to save fuel money- damage caused is usually a burned up IP due to suction and plugged filters.

ULSD Ultra low sulfur diesel contains up to 15ppm sulfur in diesel - thats 0,000015L(!) per Liter, compare that with 0.01L per Liter in africa.

I don't know where these TV guys get their infos from, lol. Another reason not to watch TV.

tazwegion
26-08-2011, 07:50 PM
I read somewhere and saw it on TV that they use sulphur to help lubricate, rather than decrease.

You're on the right track but AFAIK it's actually one of the processes (hydrotreating) used to reduce the sulphur content which can lead to a lower lubrication property in diesel fuels...