PDA

View Full Version : error code 27

Sandmann
22-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Hi guys , after tooling around for the last week I have finally gotten the Xj to the point where she will start and run but have noticed cyl 6 isnt firing , ( pulled the plug and there was no difference to the sound ) , did an engine code check via the key method and I got these codes 12,27,22 and 55 .. I suspect that the injector on 6 isnt working but is it worth me replacing this injector and hoping or would it be best if I just went to the dealer and spend a lot of cash hoping to get it fixed?

geroxj
22-08-2011, 01:33 PM
http://xjjeep.com/2007/09/24/obd-codes/

Sandmann
22-08-2011, 06:08 PM
http://youtu.be/i6SS-ZGBJoY

took this video just about 10 minutes ago , yes I am aware of how ugly the mess is around the rockers butr Im trying to pinpoint the source of the noise , I was thinking lifters but they all seem to move freely so maybe exhaust manifold .. Any ideas ????

bruggz351
22-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Is it just my eyes, or is the lifter 4th from the rear (front lifter on pot 5) not rocking through its full motion?
Definitely sounds like lifters though eh.

cheers

anthonygubbin
22-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Hey Sandman it might be worth putting in a $10 bottle of lifter free up and seeing if it fixes the prob. I have used it before and it fixed a sticky lifter.

Regards A

davesta
24-08-2011, 09:26 AM
Sorry for the newb question, but does oil go everywhere when you run the engine with the rocker cover off? That's really cool, i'd like to give that try if i ever need to remove the rocker cover again...

Doctor W
24-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Sorry for the newb question, but does oil go everywhere when you run the engine with the rocker cover off? ...

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, wanted to just say "YES!" but a message came up saying my reply was too short!......that's a new one!........ is this some sorta plot to get more money outta me by making me send more bytes of data ??????........

Who wants ta know if I'm paranoid???? Who?....Which one of you people watchin me?

dazza96
24-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Hey Sandman it might be worth putting in a $10 bottle of lifter free up and seeing if it fixes the prob. I have used it before and it fixed a sticky lifter.

Regards A

whats i called i have a bit of a lifter noise as well
cheers daz

Sandmann
24-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Suspect more then just a normal problem , So far have changed the fuel oil and air filters , new cap and rotor went in today as well as new plugs and leads . Had teh car running and decided to pull the 6 plug , no change .. oh dear looks like its a head gasket gone .. Only decided to do this after driving around teh block and getting a blowback which blew the oil cap off and left a nice bluish smoke behind me

dazza96
24-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Suspect more then just a normal problem , So far have changed the fuel oil and air filters , new cap and rotor went in today as well as new plugs and leads . Had teh car running and decided to pull the 6 plug , no change .. oh dear looks like its a head gasket gone .. Only decided to do this after driving around teh block and getting a blowback which blew the oil cap off and left a nice bluish smoke behind me

do a compresion test first
has oil gone milky in colour or has oil gone in to the radiator
all so start motor with out rad cap on and look for any bubbles on the rad
these are the easyest ways to check a head gasket let me know how ya go
all so i may be easy for people to help if they know what happened just before she broke down
cheers daz

Sandmann
24-08-2011, 08:26 PM
no milky oil , its black as and no loss of water from the radiator . but with the number 6 cylinder plug being pulled making no change to the sound nor running of the engine it was advised that would be the issue , I was thinking injectors to start with but im no longer getting the error codes , Tried doing a compression test but dont think the plug was in teh cylinder correctly . Just so over doing everything I could think of but no change , car shudders and bucks at lower rev 1200-1500 but above that seems to be ok. blue smoke puffing from the engine and car stalling occasionally when this happens is annoying and as my wife is due in the next few weeks I really gotta get this sorted

bruggz351
24-08-2011, 08:54 PM
Leak-down test. Done cold and again at running temp. Mine didn't leak-down till hot.

cheers

Sandmann
25-08-2011, 02:11 PM
its the head :( , took the radiator cap off when motor was running the level was rising under revs , no bubbles but it was steadyly rising and leaking from the cap .. oh well local auto store is ordering the top overhaul kit for me so hopefully by this w/e i should be able to smash through it and have it running next week

Sandmann
27-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Pulled everything apart so far so good , untill I get the head off , no gasket loads of water on all cylinders and bam..... hole right in the middle of piston 6 :( , good thing I have spares but really dont wanna do a rebuild tonight