PDA

View Full Version : diff leak

dazza96
24-08-2011, 04:35 PM
so i got a diff leak from the front dana 30 the drivers side the long side
is it hard to fix do i need any tricky tools cheers dazza

sssadamsss
24-08-2011, 04:40 PM
if its coming out of the tube, then i think you may be able to pull the wheel bearing off, pull the whole long axle out. and there is a little seal on the inside you may be able to replace...

Puk
24-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Yes, but you have to open up the diff to do it.

There is a "how-to" on GoJeeps website, and you can buy the seals from Wooders. I had to get this done about a month or so ago.

I printed out the "how-to" and took it and the seals to my mechanic. (Wimped out on doing it myself) but it is still right as rain and worth doing.

Puk.

TheOoz
27-08-2011, 06:41 AM
The dana 30 uses inboard seals. They are pressed in from the inside of the diff pumkin towards the outside of the vehicle.

The job requires wheels off, brake calipers off, hubs removed (with axles still attached so they slide out at the same time), diff cover off, and diff centre removed. You will then have access to the seals.

Simplest way to knock them out is working down the tube with a long pipe/bar and a hammer and knock them inwards. To press new ones in you can use a special tool (would be the simplest way) available on ebay, make your own, or knock them in using a series of 1/2 in extensions with a big socket on the end.

Have a read of the workshop manual to see the detail. Make sure the surface on the axle where the seal will run is clean and undamaged. You can reposition the seal if you think the current surface isn't useable i.e. set the seal deeper or shallower in the axle tube.

It is a time consuming job, and the main trick is getting the new seals in and square.