PDA

View Full Version : extended shackles

anthonygubbin
09-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Hi anyone know where to get shackles that will only give me 1/2 inch of lift. I know it sounds pointless but I am 2 1/2 at the present and I do not want to look an easy target for the "defectors". Wooders have some but it says 1" lift. Prefer the boomerang type. I checked Quadratec but not enough info or easily understood info re new ride height except on some, again too high. I would make some but again they are not legal in SA regardless of make, so would stand out like a sore thumb if I made them myself.

regards Anthony

The Smiths
10-09-2011, 05:54 AM
Shove some steel under your spring - even include it in the spring pack;)

anthonygubbin
10-09-2011, 09:17 AM
Shove some steel under your spring - even include it in the spring pack;)

I am not interested in blocks if that is what you are suggesting. All I want is a 1/2 lift via a shackle. If it comes to it I may have no choice but to make some.

regards A

ozjeepster
10-09-2011, 09:45 AM
I have a set of these on my XJ & they are awesome for leveling out & lifting the rear end ;) there 2in over standard when fully closed up & can safely extend to nearly 6 inches all the adjustment you will ever need ;) from Iron Man Fab in the USA i also run his front front HD arms , he has an ebay store as well so getting them is a breeze

anthonygubbin
10-09-2011, 09:48 AM
I have a set of these on my XJ & they are awesome for leveling out & lifting the rear end ;)

Where? $?

Regards A

ozjeepster
10-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Where? $?

Regards A

Right hear mate ;)
http://stores.ebay.com.au/IMX-Performance-Fabrication/_i.html?_fsub=2168913014

anthonygubbin
10-09-2011, 09:54 AM
Right hear mate ;)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JEEP-XJ-HEAVY-DUTY-GREASEABLE-ADJUSTABLE-LIFT-SHACKLES-/200544493616?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb1622030#ht_1301wt_1291

Thanks Oz.

regards A

ozjeepster
10-09-2011, 09:57 AM
Thanks Oz.

regards A

No probs he is great to deal with also very quick to send over the pond ;)

Hamsteh
10-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Hey mate, just curious why you wouldnt consider a block for a mere 1/2" of lift?

I only ask because I can't imagine 10mm of solid steel being likely to break on you, and the added leverage on the spring would be pretty darn minimal?

I dont have a block or extended shackles but am considering an extra 1/2-1" of lift in the rear so interesting to get your thoughts. :)

anthonygubbin
10-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Hey mate, just curious why you wouldnt consider a block for a mere 1/2" of lift?

I only ask because I can't imagine 10mm of solid steel being likely to break on you, and the added leverage on the spring would be pretty darn minimal?

I dont have a block or extended shackles but am considering an extra 1/2-1" of lift in the rear so interesting to get your thoughts. :)

With a block you may lose the locating pin on the bottom of the leafs, fitting into the hole on top of the axle housing as it will become too short to reach the extra distance. I mainly want an extra 1/2 inch ( 1 " longer shackle) so that I can make sure I have enough travel for the new rear Rancho's I am getting soon. Although the stops will most likley hit first but there currently is only 10-12mm in it acccording to the Rancho specs page. An extra 1/2 inch should make sure that they will never be able to fully compress. Also with the increase in shackle length the rear pinion angle will be pretty much perfect with the wedge that I currently have.

regards A

fabio
10-09-2011, 11:09 PM
I ran 16mm blocks for years with no problems to level out my ride. I replaced my spring pack bolts to include the new spacers, so there was never any problem with the springs not being located correctly.

anthonygubbin
11-09-2011, 12:58 AM
I ran 16mm blocks for years with no problems to level out my ride. I replaced my spring pack bolts to include the new spacers, so there was never any problem with the springs not being located correctly.

I still think there always the chance the axle could shift even if the ubolts were super tight, eg with a big unintentional impact.

Regards A

The Smiths
11-09-2011, 05:01 AM
I still think there always the chance the axle could shift even if the ubolts were super tight, eg with a big unintentional impact.

Regards A

you replace the spring pack bolt with a longer one and just fix the tiny little 12mm block/strip - the same as an additional leaf - the head still locates in the axle hole:rolleyes:

anthonygubbin
11-09-2011, 05:30 AM
you replace the spring pack bolt with a longer one and just fix the tiny little 12mm block/strip - the same as an additional leaf - the head still locates in the axle hole:rolleyes:

Now understood. But yerr I am not going down that avenue it was a major PITA changing the springs the first and second time when the bushes failed, hence I am not removing them a third time. Hopefully I will work out where to get 1" longer boomerang shackles. Worst come to worst I will get some custom made or just lift the front only another 1/2" to level it up as opposed to 1" as planned.

regards a