PDA

View Full Version : leaking head gasket, how likley?

anthonygubbin
14-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Hey guys I have bypassed my heater but I am still using coolant with no obvious leaks all I can put it down to is a head gasket.
Is this common? And is there any easy test?

regards A

anthonygubbin
14-09-2011, 12:19 PM
Hi just found out it is probably not the head gasket. However the water pump is stuffed and the thermosat housing is leaking. Yeahhh :(

Billnick
14-09-2011, 03:51 PM
I use about a litre a month for no apparent reason. I suspect it's evaporating out of the overflow tank due to the heat of the motor.

jerrythejeep
14-09-2011, 03:57 PM
have a similar issue with mine, check your exhaust pipe, any condensation or water is a tell tale sign the head gasket is gone, also a mechanic or radiator shop could do a leak down test [ pressureize the cooling system and look for leaks]
You mentioned your plugs too, if they were crap it could have been caused by the water/ head gasket. good luck

anthonygubbin
14-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Well the water pump bearing is shot as the belt is not running straight. The thermostat housing is definitly leaking. I recently bypassed the heater and for a while it had pressure. Looks like it has found another weak spot that being the thermostat housing. So now I have to change the pump, fix the gasket, probably change the bottom hose, new belt and then see what starts leaking next. The RAA said welsh plugs are probably next in line, Yeahh :(. Have many people experienced leaking head gaskets in their XJs ? That will really s### me if that goes. I have had six head gaskets go in other cars over the years I will be spewin if this one is gone too.

regards A

Deezelweazel
14-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Welsh plug leak is a sign for not using the proper coolant mixture. It does also contain corrosion preventive chemicals.

If you use the proper mixture the inside will look like new. Do not forget that coolant also acts as a lubricant for the water pump.

Most people do neglect these facts.
In return they have to deal with radiator, thermostat, waterpump and welsh plug issues.

anthonygubbin
14-09-2011, 06:10 PM
Welsh plug leak is a sign for not using the proper coolant mixture. It does also contain corrosion preventive chemicals.

If you use the proper mixture the inside will look like new. Do not forget that coolant also acts as a lubricant for the water pump.

Most people do neglect these facts.
In return they have to deal with radiator, thermostat, waterpump and welsh plug issues.

Well it is hard to know how often the previous owners have serviced the cooling system. I wouldn't have thought the pump bearing would be lubricated with the coolant though. The XJ has done 190k so my guess is this is about the life span of a water pump.
As for the plugs are they on both sides of the engine, if yes I will cross that bridge when I come to it. I don't really want to pull off manifolds anytime soon. I can't actually visually see any of the welsh plugs as there is too much stuff blocking my veiw. So it may be a wait and see if the coolant tank stays full after I do everything else.

Regards A

Deezelweazel
14-09-2011, 06:27 PM
190k? Very good!

I have learned to change parts before they fail (preventive maintenance), because I really hate road side repairs. This is expensive, but very reliable.

Most of us try to squeeze the most out of parts, right? (eg. air filters, belts etc.)

Don't woory about the plugs. If they hold 'til now, they will do further.

anthonygubbin
14-09-2011, 06:40 PM
190k? Very good!

I have learned to change parts before they fail (preventive maintenance), because I really hate road side repairs. This is expensive, but very reliable.

Most of us try to squeeze the most out of parts, right? (eg. air filters, belts etc.)

Don't woory about the plugs. If they hold 'til now, they will do further.

Yerr I am going to do the pump, bottom hose, clamps, thermostat and belt all at the same time. It will be like you say preventitive maintenance. All up it comes in a $200 for parts that is providing the pump comes with a pully, damn well better or I will be in the S###. They want $350 + to fit the parts so I guess I am yet again stuck in the shed working on the XJ. Wish I had the cash to give it to someone else to fix, so I could forget about it. All I hope is that the job is smooth sailing which seems rare these days??

Regards A

Deezelweazel
14-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Soak in the bolts of the pump with penetrant a couple of days ahead and everything will work smooth.
Give the bolt heads a good smack ahead before you try to loosen them- it will help to free them too.
Take your time and go strictly with the manual when in doubt. Don't skip on gaskets or cheap seals.
Don't hope- save that for the church- be confident!;)

I will repeat Murray's tip, try CAT ELC coolant- extremely good stuff!

anthonygubbin
14-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence Deez, I have now got over my depressive state and am ready to tackle the beast tomorrow. I needed some sulk time as I thought everything was sorted apart from minor stuff eg (service & tune)ready for Tasmania but better now than while on the road.

I wish someone could divise a list of every possible XJ Jeep problem that I could refer to and make sure it has been repaired. It is the little/big surprise ones that cause the most hassle, eg (starter motors, alternators, now water pump). If I had a magic ball at least I would know what I need to save up for, would make things a whole lot easier than finding last minute cash to do PITA repairs that mean I am not mobile until it is fixed which is a double wammy as I can't get to work. Also I could then do repairs when the vehicle is not needed that day or the next.

Regards A

Deezelweazel
14-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Hey, I feel your pain- to tell you a secret- I disassembled my complete engine- broken cylinder liner. Way to much hp, so the liner broke and the complete engine must be overhauled now- you are not alone.

It hits everyone!
I know there is somewhere a list of possible faults and damages....

anthonygubbin
14-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Hey Deez sounds like I have nothing to winge about compared to your troubles. I just did some early work and felt the pump no movement and bearing runs as smooth as a babies bum. The problem was a thermostat housing leak. However the real problem with the belt running crooked is a buggerd pully. Looks like I or someone else has dropped a spanner down and it has jammed and put a bend in the pully, much like an outwards notch. Unless someone has tried to lever it off while still on the engine. Bugger; I have ordered and pretty much paid for bits I did not really need :mad:. Now I have to see if I can get the bus 2hrs to a wrecker and pick up a pulley.

regards A

Deezelweazel
15-09-2011, 01:17 AM
Hmm, don't think of them as waisted. It's a cheap insurance that these parts won't fail the next time.

I had the same failure you had with the diesel. Failing pulley killed the belt while pulling a heavy trailer.

2 x 129€ for new pulleys
259€ for a new belt tensioner
50€ for a new belt.
-----------------------------
a screaming wallet= 567€

And now the cylinder liner, which is my own fault as I'm cravin' for power
Btw: I'm waiting for parts since three weeks. since that I'm riding my bicycle....

That's me and the Diesel while huntin' gassers :shock:

http://up.picr.de/8215775ywf.jpg

Billnick
15-09-2011, 07:34 AM
Yerr I am going to do the pump, bottom hose, clamps, thermostat and belt all at the same time. It will be like you say preventitive maintenance. All up it comes in a $200 for parts that is providing the pump comes with a pully, damn well better or I will be in the S###. They want $350 + to fit the parts so I guess I am yet again stuck in the shed working on the XJ. Wish I had the cash to give it to someone else to fix, so I could forget about it. All I hope is that the job is smooth sailing which seems rare these days??

Regards A

A tip is to take the radiator out, it makes working on the pump a lot easier. There is only 4 bolts along the top + 4 nuts on the cowl + 2 nuts on the rad. Put the lower hose on before the rad goes back in. Getting the thermostat to stay where it should while you line up the housing is the tricky part. I was told afterward to put some grease on the thermo to hold it in. Take note where the clamp is for the lower hose, putting it in the easy spot fouls the fan shroud.

Cheers
Bill

anthonygubbin
15-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Got everything off and just found out it looks like the pump has been done before as it has a GMB and it is in very good cond. However I did notice some grit inside the bottom hose end of the pump; any ideas? I reckon I will shelve the old one as an emergency spare, same with the belt. Now to go and some how pick up the parts, damn bus only runs every hour and I have just missed it.

Regards A

anthonygubbin
15-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Bloke has given me the wrong pump. He gave me one to suit a 93 - 98, where I need a late 98. You have got to be kidding me. What is worse I only realised after I bolted it on. It even looked right until I had another good look at it. :(

Regards A

tazwegion
15-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Pays to know your part numbers eh? looks like you'll be catching that bus again...

anthonygubbin
15-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Pays to know your part numbers eh? looks like you'll be catching that bus again...

You bet ya. Just got back, the right pump has been ordered. The rad is in getting back-flushed & pressure tested. Once last trip (4.5hrs return) on the buses tomorrow and I can start putting things back together, yayhh. :rolleyes:

tazwegion
15-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Once last trip (4.5hrs return) on the buses tomorrow and I can start putting things back together, yayhh. :rolleyes:

Getting frequent flyer points? :monkey:

anthonygubbin
15-09-2011, 07:30 PM
Getting frequent flyer points? :monkey:

I wish.......

anthonygubbin
16-09-2011, 09:36 PM
All back together and now the belt is not running straight along the water pump pulley.

YeeY