PDA

View Full Version : serpentine belt not running straight

anthonygubbin
16-09-2011, 09:33 PM
Hi guys my belt is not running straight along the water pump pully, any ideas?

Regards Anthony

tazwegion
16-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Hi guys my belt is not running straight along the water pump pully, any ideas?

Yeah, take a picture so we can see what you're talking about :monkey:

Seriously though it sounds like a pulley alignment issue maybe the crank pulley (harmonic balancer), that was the cause of my problem ;)

anthonygubbin
16-09-2011, 11:10 PM
Yeah, take a picture so we can see what you're talking about :monkey:

Seriously though it sounds like a pulley alignment issue maybe the crank pulley (harmonic balancer), that was the cause of my problem ;)

Hey Tas I have just done an edit. It seems you are right my HB has shifted about 3mm outwards. Great does this mean rad out again; please say no?

regards A

JRJ33P
17-09-2011, 08:54 AM
mines doing the same, i spoke to Paul at Hunter 4wd and he seems to think that there is a rubber bush in the crank pulley thats on its way out, and that is causing the belt to have this slight wave effect when the belts turning.

tazwegion
17-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Hey Tas I have just done an edit. It seems you are right my HB has shifted about 3mm outwards. Great does this mean rad out again; please say no?

Sorry... but radiator must come out to give you even a fighting chance of replacing the crank pulley (harmonic balancer) :hammer:

mines doing the same, i spoke to Paul at Hunter 4wd and he seems to think that there is a rubber bush in the crank pulley thats on its way out, and that is causing the belt to have this slight wave effect when the belts turning.

Absolutely! once the rubber compound starts to deteriorate it's all down hill from there :(

Removal isn't a pig of a job unlike replacing the part is, best solution is the fabio method this should result in least amount of distress (and skun knuckles) :mrgreen:

anthonygubbin
17-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Hey Tas all done. $120 for the HB and $60 labour. My mech did it at last minute (just got back). No rad out but the belly plate which I took off last night, was a good thing I left it off.

Yeyy :):)

tazwegion
17-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Expensive fix (Repco part?) but good outcome, I thought you would of done it yourself though... slacker! LOL :p

anthonygubbin
17-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Part came from Car Parts Plus (Lonsdale SA). Strangely enough they had one in stock.
If I had not just spent the last two days working on the Jeep and travelling on buses, to get parts I might have felt up to doing it myself. But last night after your advice, I realised what the problem was I really did not want to spend the rest of my day in the shed. 60 bucks for labour at the moment that beats me stressing and means I can now go to work this eve and also quote up some other jobs this arvo.

regards A

JRJ33P
17-09-2011, 12:24 PM
how many K's does your XJ have on it anthony??

anthonygubbin
17-09-2011, 01:05 PM
how many K's does your XJ have on it anthony??

Almost 190k

regards Anthony

JRJ33P
17-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Almost 190k

regards Anthony

Hmm. thats a bit premature... mine started moving when my aunty had it, that was at about 285 000kms, then she sold it and the dude who bought it did another 20 000kms with it before i bought it back. its now got 312 000kms and really doesnt look like its gonna fall out any time soon.

anthonygubbin
17-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Hmm. thats a bit premature... mine started moving when my aunty had it, that was at about 285 000kms, then she sold it and the dude who bought it did another 20 000kms with it before i bought it back. its now got 312 000kms and really doesnt look like its gonna fall out any time soon.

The rubber actually looked pretty good. I think what happened (although I am uncertain) is that something has fallen down under the water pump pully causing it to jamb. I suspect that the belt may have stopped momentarly and then cranked still turned thus loosend the vulcenising. I only suspect this as I had a damaged water pump pully.

regards A

JRJ33P
18-09-2011, 05:59 PM
The rubber actually looked pretty good. I think what happened (although I am uncertain) is that something has fallen down under the water pump pully causing it to jamb. I suspect that the belt may have stopped momentarly and then cranked still turned thus loosend the vulcenising. I only suspect this as I had a damaged water pump pully.

regards A

Ahh ok fair enough. I thought it was strange that something like a HB or even the rubber had failed at only 190 000kms, but if it was something else that caused it - then thats different.