PDA

View Full Version : another slight miss on idle thread.

anthonygubbin
17-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Hi guys I have a miss on idle. I tried the code thing with the keys but it seems mine will not show codes. The mech said it is coming somewhere near the distributer and I too heard it with the stethascope. Before I start throwing parts at it does anyone have any ideas?

regards A

tazwegion
18-09-2011, 12:47 AM
Pop the bonnet while it's idling (at night) and you'll see any shorts or arcing that take place :mrgreen:

FWIW I couldn't ever get my XJ's to show those error codes on the dash either :(

anthonygubbin
18-09-2011, 02:23 AM
Pop the bonnet while it's idling (at night) and you'll see any shorts or arcing that take place :mrgreen:

FWIW I couldn't ever get my XJ's to show those error codes on the dash either :(

Yerr I give the night thing a go tomorrow. Failing that I will ask the mech to diagnose it. As for this dash codes thing if it can be done there must be a trick to it cause I tried it four different ways and nothing. All I got was the ODO reading or the trip reading.
Maybe it likes the old rattling ball inside the PCV very few people actually have one if any at all. Unless of course 99.999999% of us Jeep owners have stuffed PCV's, LOL.

Regards A

Doctor W
18-09-2011, 08:06 AM
Maybe it likes the old rattling ball inside the PCV very few people actually have one if any at all. Unless of course 99.999999% of us Jeep owners have stuffed PCV's, LOL.

Regards A

Jeeps don't have PCV's ......they have CCV's - NO ball valve!!......it's a fixed orifice and DOES get clogged up if you don't clean them from near new. ....Spray both fittings thru with carby cleaner before each oil change (so rubbish and spray liquid gets flushed out). ....Also the grommets go hard and fall apart.....best is to get all new and start the new maintenance regime.

anthonygubbin
18-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Jeeps don't have PCV's ......they have CCV's - NO ball valve!!......it's a fixed orifice and DOES get clogged up if you don't clean them from near new. ....Spray both fittings thru with carby cleaner before each oil change (so rubbish and spray liquid gets flushed out). ....Also the grommets go hard and fall apart.....best is to get all new and start the new maintenance regime.

I was being sarcastic. I knew they had no ball. People on her used to say rattle the ball on your PCV and you know it is working. I found that out 18 months ago when I changed mine.
I was alluding to the fact that the "turn the key three times theory" to get codes might be another wives tale like the ball bearing in the PCV that someone has come up with, atleast on the late 98 Sports anyway.

Regards A

tazwegion
18-09-2011, 09:54 PM
I was alluding to the fact that the "turn the key three times theory" to get codes might be another wives tale like the ball bearing in the PCV that someone has come up with, atleast on the late 98 Sports anyway.

I've read of at least 2 ways to get the OBD codes on the Cherokee's & saw pretty much the same success variation on US forums too, there was also a mention about jumpering pins 4 & 9 on the socket to effect a manual code read out... I'll just buy a cheap hand scanner instead I think ;)

Doctor W
19-09-2011, 08:00 AM
I was being sarcastic. I knew they had no ball. People on her used to say rattle the ball on your PCV and you know it is working. I found that out 18 months ago when I changed mine.

Regards A

OK, sorry, I didn't know you knew.....

As for the 3 times On-Off key trick, that definitely works!!!!!

You have to try it at different speeds, but basically 1 second on, 1 sec off, on, off, on and leave on (without starting) and in about 2 seconds on a 98 you'll get the OBD2 self check sequence commencing on the digital odometer as code numbers.

If there's nothing wrong it'll just show up "55" = successful scan and end of self check.

Search on here or Google "jeep OBD codes" or similar.....

It's really NOT an old wives tale!......or are you just kiddin again?????

tazwegion
19-09-2011, 12:17 PM
As for the 3 times On-Off key trick, that definitely works!!!!!

Not on every Cherokee, using your "Google-fu" you can find many examples of vehicles people can't access their ECU codes via the "key trick" ;)

I would have to concede that at least some of those unsuccessful attempts could be due to defective dash indicator lights though :mrgreen:

Steve F
19-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Simple, it wont work on updates/ODBII, just stick a scan gauge or cheap code reader on for those.

Cheers
Steve

anthonygubbin
19-09-2011, 05:18 PM
I tried like four or five different ways without success. I would say Steve is right it just won't work. I went to see the mech today and he said it is most likely the cap and or rotor. I now have both, cost me less than $30 for the two, so I will give it a go. Cap on, mech listened and noticed there was a loose #6 plug. All good now no miss.

Regards A

tazwegion
19-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Simple, it wont work on updates/ODBII, just stick a scan gauge or cheap code reader on for those.

Perhaps a different method is required? I found this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrVFkRAQFpk

anthonygubbin
19-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Well found Taz. Maybe I need the lights on, and rev the S*** out of it, not sure how I can get it to redline though while clocking 100mph. LOL
I think I have worked it out, you need to turn the key off and on three times, then get nude and run around the car three times, then turn the key another three times, keep repeating this process until something happens.

regards A

tazwegion
19-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Well found Taz. Maybe I need the lights on, and rev the S*** out of it, not sure how I can get it to redline though while clocking 100mph. LOL

You'll never get into the diagnostic mode with the engine running :hammer:

From what I've read with "this method" you push the odometer reset (and hold it in) whilst switching the ignition to on (then let the button out) :mrgreen:

anthonygubbin
19-09-2011, 08:57 PM
I think I have worked it out, you need to turn the key off and on three times, then get nude and run around the car three times, then turn the key another three times, keep repeating this process until something happens.

regards A

I was being sarcastic I think Steve is right it can not be done. I tried pressing every button I could with no luck.

regards A

anthonygubbin
19-09-2011, 09:03 PM
I can get it to do the flashy lights and speedo thing, but nothing but the mileage come up on the trip meter.

regards A

tazwegion
19-09-2011, 09:58 PM
I was being sarcastic

Yeah so was I :monkey:

Looks like you'll be investing in a basic OBD2 hand scanner then? :mrgreen:

anthonygubbin
19-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Yeah so was I :monkey:

Cool, no scanner needed just yet. My XJ is running sweet as again now that we tightend the loose plug and changed the dizzy cap & rotor. In that vid did they happen to mention the point of actually pressing the trip button while turning the key. It is a neat trick but once or twice and the novelty wears off.

Regards A

tazwegion
20-09-2011, 11:32 AM
It is a neat trick but once or twice and the novelty wears off.

Already mentioned ;)

From what I've read with "this method" you push the odometer reset (and hold it in) whilst switching the ignition to on (then let the button out) :mrgreen:

Doctor W
20-09-2011, 08:08 PM

.......Or that App for your (Smart)phone and the OBD plug-in.....????......