PDA

View Full Version : Aircon Problem

Jimmyb
19-09-2011, 09:55 AM
With summer coming, started the aircon on the weekend, seems that when the jeep is cold, that the aircon blows pretty good, but once the vehicle temp gets up to operating 98deg the air con just blows air, not cold air. Maybe need a regas?

anthonygubbin
19-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Regas ($120, inc dye) has fixed mine for now. The problem though is a gas leak. Trouble is I suspect it is like a lot of XJs leaking inside the cabin from the evaporator. Massive job that I wont be doing anytime soon. However in saying that Jimmy I got mine done almost 12 months ago and she is still working pretty good and it will see me through this summer. The fan osolates a fair bit more than she did when I first got the regas done but I can live with that for now.
To fix it they will most likely need to regas so they can add the dye. If you do, tell them not to bother with filters etc as it will be a waste just do the gas and dye. That is because once some gas leaks they will be able to tell where the leak is coming from. If you then get it fixed they will replace it anyway.

Regards A

Gildo
19-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Are all the VAC lines hooked up and not blocked?

bruggz351
19-09-2011, 03:58 PM
Mine died just before winter... Funny thing though, when it was working it was beautiful when cruising. But, if I accellerated eg. going up a hill, it blew hot air, then would cool down again when cruising.???

cheers

Mudmonster
19-09-2011, 06:30 PM
i replaced the evaporator in mine about 9months ago, got it from the USA approx $50 posted.

what i did is removed the glove box and air bag, cut a piece out of the dash down the bottom then carefully cut out the back of the air box and pulled it trough fitted the new one up and just siliconed the back of the air box back in and glued the botton of the dash back in, too much work to pull the whole dash out to do it.

only problem with the evapotartor from the USA the pipes are on the opposite side and you cant put the rubber seals back in so i used some of that tar strip to seal it up,
and you need to slightly bend the dryer pipe to fit.

only took about 3 hrs to do it

anthonygubbin
19-09-2011, 06:38 PM
i replaced the evaporator in mine about 9months ago, got it from the USA approx $50 posted.

what i did is removed the glove box and air bag, cut a piece out of the dash down the bottom then carefully cut out the back of the air box and pulled it trough fitted the new one up and just siliconed the back of the air box back in and glued the botton of the dash back in, too much work to pull the whole dash out to do it.

only problem with the evapotartor from the USA the pipes are on the opposite side and you cant put the rubber seals back in so i used some of that tar strip to seal it up,

Jeepers Mudmonster I thought I was rough and I thought my brother was rougher. So what do you reckon Jimmy, will you take to it with a recipricating saw fitted with a steel blade; or just see how long it lasts with a regas?

Regards A

bruggz351
19-09-2011, 07:22 PM

:shock:pics please:D

Jimmyb
19-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Rekon I will get the regas first and see how it lasts haha. Still got plenty to do on the Jeep with my spare time so dont wanna add more jobs to the list right yet.

anthonygubbin
19-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Rekon I will get the regas first and see how it lasts haha. Still got plenty to do on the Jeep with my spare time so dont wanna add more jobs to the list right yet.

You might get lucky like me Jimmy and still be using the same gas 12 months later. And give it some time and the heater should start leaking then you can kill two birds with one stone. Unless of course you got lucky and the evaporator in yours is ok.

Regards A

Mudmonster
19-09-2011, 08:14 PM
:shock:pics please:D

ill take some pics tomorrow hopefully

rainman
19-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Mine died just before winter... Funny thing though, when it was working it was beautiful when cruising. But, if I accellerated eg. going up a hill, it blew hot air, then would cool down again when cruising.???

cheers

I remember reading that the PCM cuts the ac at wide open throttle, it is in the manual.

Mudmonster
20-09-2011, 05:44 PM
here are some pics of the air box after its been cut out to remove the evaporator, you could make it look a lot better but no one ever sees it so i didnt clean it up too well. ill admit it does seem dodgy, but its an quicker way i thought

the second pic shows the pipes on opposite sides, i just bent the dryer hose a tad to get it to the drivers side more to fit up and the other hose has movement in it so it doesnt need to be bent

bruggz351
20-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks Mm. It may be rough, but it shows there is another option to removing the whole dash...

cheers

Mudmonster
20-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Thanks Mm. It may be rough, but it shows there is another option to removing the whole dash...

cheers

first off that bracket between the 2 pipes in the engine bay needs to be removed,
then the top piece of the dash need to be removed just unclips.
the hardest part was to remove the dash piece off the front of the air bag to get to the bolts (its a slight pain to get it back in as well, i didnt realy care if i damaged it at the time as i had a few spare ones but i didnt damage it at all) when you do get it off unbolt the air bag and the matal bracket that the glove box latches to, cut out the back of the air box. right on the edge,
to remove the evaporator it will takes some pulling as you have to pull the pipes trough a small hole.
put one of the rubbers back in the front of the air box where the pipes go trough, clean the dirt out of th air box if any and install the new evaporator, and seal it back up

hope this helps

Doctor W
20-09-2011, 07:36 PM

cheers

Classic case of vacuum leak in control lines or vacuum reservoir tank - not sure where it is in an XJ, under battery tray on a ZJ, behind bumper bar on a TJ ...... XJ experts please?????

Doctor W
20-09-2011, 07:41 PM

That's better than 12-15 hours minimum DIY or / $1200-$1500 labour only if you get it done!!!!!!

Doctor W
20-09-2011, 07:49 PM

cheersIt's meant to cut-out at high power demand situations!......PCM gets a low vacuum signal from MAP sensor and cuts off 12V power to compressor clutch.