PDA

View Full Version : My Cherokee still immobile

Dags
03-10-2011, 08:56 PM
About 4 weeks ago I was on the way home from a day trip to Harvey/Nanga, when the red beastie just cut out.
Cranks over but no intention of firing.
Just before it stopped it was knocking like an american car thats run out of fuel in the movies, you know what I mean.
It cranks no worries, it has fuel to the injector rail, it has spark on the 3 leads I checked, but wont fire.
I have just received the second crank angle sensor that I purchased. The first one from ebay, the 2nd from Automotive EFI in Lismore.
After fitting it nothing has changed.
I have no dashboard diagnostics but have just purchased a Scantool from Wooders, so am hoping that doesn't take long so I can check things out.
Does anyone have any ideas where I can look in the meantime?
It is a 2002 Wrangler 4.0L but I'm sure they still run off the same ECU systems.

TheOoz
04-10-2011, 04:58 AM
What sort of driving were you doing when it started the knocking sound you mention? Can you provide more detail of what happened just before it stopped?

Dags
05-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Was running along the highway at 110kph. All was sweet, then it coughed and missed for a few seconds, and came good, then lost power.
I pulled over to the side of the road and it stalled out before I stopped rolling. I had a look under the bonnet for anything loose, (coil lead, injector wires etc) but found nothing.
I cranked it again and it fired, so I headed off again but only got another k or 2 before it started to miss again so I pulled over.
This time just before I stopped it made that out of fuel knock then stopped.
It hasn't even looked like firing since.

carvesdodo
05-10-2011, 08:31 PM
You could try swapping the AutoShutdownDown relay in the fusebox ...

2002 ... you dont have dizzy with a sensor in it huh ???

Dags
06-10-2011, 10:01 PM
I never knew it had one, but it fits the problem. As for the dizzy it has one, duh, but it has the small coil pack and not the long 3 pack coil that the websites say the 2002 should have.

carvesdodo
06-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Under the dizzy cap is a Cam Position Sensor .... It and the Crank Sensor work together for fuel delivery.

Doesnt play up as often as a Crank Sensor but gives off similiar symptoms ... ScanGauge should give you a code for it.

As with the Crank Sensor ... Also check plugs & connectors/shorted wiring as a code doesnt nescessarily define the component as faulty ... just the circuit its in.

Not saying that its your problem ... but it should be on the check list ... ;)