PDA

View Full Version : wont start after engine swap

Peter and Trent McCormick
09-10-2011, 05:27 PM
just swapped the motor over to a 99 model engine, have put everything back in the right place (i think) also put a new flex plate on, as the holes for the torque converter bolts had wallowed out, but not the damn thing wont start, seems to have no spark but will crank all day long, the battery has good charge and there is fuel pressure, put the scan gauge on it came up with a p0320 no crank angle sensor reference, but the cas is not that old and worked fine before the swap,

any idea guys? would timing possibly being out cause no spark at the coil?

also its a 98 cherokee and i changed over all the old acc to the new motor, so shouldnt be any difference

undecided
09-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Does the flex plate have a reference point for the pickup ?

brenttj
09-10-2011, 06:34 PM
have you got the fsm or a manual when we did my mates same thing was happening had to get the timing right pm geroxj

Easy Rollins 1
09-10-2011, 07:29 PM
also put a new flex plate on

Yep,pickup places on the flex could be diff,or it's out of alignment with the crank.. :confused:

junglejuice
10-10-2011, 05:02 AM
When I put the Zg engine in my Xj I had to swap the flex plates as they are different, I didn't have any trouble with it starting afterwards, maybe I fluked it...
I would try another CPS after double checking that everything is reconnected and the main loom connections are all tight and secure....

10-10-2011, 06:54 PM
i visually check the flex plate, but not till after it was installed but looked to be the same, but i did notice when installing it that you couldnt just line any hole up with the threaded ones on the end of the crank there was a slight difference in distance between them, so my thinking was you couldnt muck it up, but that may not be the case,

i have another CAS i was going to try off another AW4 i have here but the plug was different...

thought it might have been a bad cam anggle sensor/ stator but it didnt bring up a P0340 which it should if it was buggered,

I have made sure all the plugs are plugged in the right places, and all the grounds are connected also changed the coil over off my tj still but made no difference, im out of ideas

BLU-125
10-10-2011, 07:26 PM
Did you change the ECU?

If so, did you change the SKIM module?

This got me for a while.

10-10-2011, 07:54 PM
no didnt change the ECU

dazza96
11-10-2011, 02:06 PM
does it have a alarm or imobliser and does the centrl locking still work with the remote
just that me and a mate have just done what you did put a 97 grand motor in to a 96 grand and it wouldnt fire till we worked out the alarm but the funny part is the 96 remote is no good now have to use 97 remote on the 96 and a cant explain it but works fine
cheers daz

junglejuice
11-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Did you swap the dissy's over? If so is it 100% correct position wise?

11-10-2011, 07:26 PM
yeh i did swap the dizzy over it is quite possible that it not in the right position

Easy Rollins 1
11-10-2011, 07:51 PM
yeh i did swap the dizzy over it is quite possible that it not in the right position

Get number one piston to top dead centre and make sure the dissy rotor is pointing to number one lead on the dissy cap

HTH a little,good luck.

junglejuice
11-10-2011, 07:57 PM
The FSM describes how to position the dissy, I followed this a few years ago after I removed the dissy and it works quite well...

11-10-2011, 08:18 PM
i did this but i will check again to make sure its correct

ozjeepster
11-10-2011, 08:50 PM
If you still have the scantool go into miscellaneous in the engine section , look for CPS RE-LEARN the CPS & THE CAS need to know where each other are in relation to No1 being at TDC otherwise it will never fire ;)

tylerzaath
11-10-2011, 08:59 PM
i put a v8 in my fj40 a few years ago and had the same issue....
Nearly went mental trying to work out why it wouldn't start and eventually realised that the spark plugs were connected in the wrong order. Checked the correct firing order and it started first go.

Sounded bloody nice too as I hadn't put an exhaust on at that stage!

12-10-2011, 05:52 PM
If you still have the scantool go into miscellaneous in the engine section , look for CPS RE-LEARN the CPS & THE CAS need to know where each other are in relation to No1 being at TDC otherwise it will never fire ;)

i dont think this can be done with the 'Scangauge 2'

Nakkas
13-10-2011, 11:00 AM
I know these are rare now, but try and find a timing light. Will answer a lot of questions...

Jimmyb
13-10-2011, 11:07 AM
I bet on the ECU. I have found throughout the years many different part numbers for them. I had issues with a TJ years ago that the battery had leaked onto the ECU. I got another one from Jeeparts from the year model, but wouldnt fire. I checked the model numbers and they didnt match even through the years did. Anyways long and short of it got one from the US on Ebay and worked.

ozjeepster
14-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Scanguage won't cut the mustard with this communication problem you will need a jeep friendly generic scan tool or access to a DRBIII scan tool from a dealership , I had an other one in today at work , the xj had been to 3 other places and they all had no idea that the cps and cas have to know each others position with No1 on TDC even if your dizzy is a hall effect unit it still has a CPS and has to have the re-learn procedure done to it ;)

junglejuice
14-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Scanguage won't cut the mustard with this communication problem you will need a jeep friendly generic scan tool or access to a DRBIII scan tool from a dealership , I had an other one in today at work , the xj had been to 3 other places and they all had no idea that the cps and cas have to know each others position with No1 on TDC even if your dizzy is a hall effect unit it still has a CPS and has to have the re-learn procedure done to it ;)

Oh boy, I am so glad I have OBD1!!!!!

ozjeepster
14-10-2011, 07:49 PM
OBDII is a piece of cake mate , it's these new grands and other Jeeps / Dodges that scare me lol they are still OBDII but every thing you do has the potential to kill it , everything is linked at some point and it all talks to each other , if ur playin with a WK's ass be sure that it's front end is watching hahahaha ;)

junglejuice
14-10-2011, 07:59 PM
lol.... I fitted an OBD2 engine into my OBD1 Xj, works real well and was extremely easy and started first go.....

16-10-2011, 09:46 AM

what about something like the snap on soulos or one of them may be able to get access to one of them

ozjeepster
16-10-2011, 07:20 PM
what about something like the snap on soulos or one of them may be able to get access to one of them

Snap-on one might do it , we trailed one at work for a few weeks & it seemed to go all right as long as you had the the right chip or model specific key for the reader ;)

30-12-2011, 08:44 PM
turns out it was the cas running fine now, ready to go 4wding.... almost...