PDA

View Full Version : New Exhaust system

Intergage
13-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Hey all,

Just picked up my XJ from Rob Bliss Exhaust - Got a complete new sports kit put in with a full flow cat..

HOLY BUM CHEESE DOES IT SOUND GOOD!
I'll post some pictures and videos once I get home.

Jimmyb
13-10-2011, 01:44 PM
How much they sting you for that? I need to do something soon as my OEM muffler is cracked.

Intergage
13-10-2011, 02:10 PM
How much they sting you for that? I need to do something soon as my OEM muffler is cracked.

I pulled some strings and got it for $580.. They originally quoted me around $650. After my string pulling got it cheaper though. I also got the most expensive exhaust system I could get so you could get it cheaper if you sacrifices some stuff.

I highly suggest you do it hey man, they also checked out my extractors and told me they are cracking a tiny bit but should be right for awhile lol.

Macca2801
13-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Wow Rob Bliss is still operating...well he should be he did a fantastic job on three of my vehicles in the late 90s. The VH SLE had extractors and a 2.5" system, the G16B Sierra had Vitara extractors and 2" system and the MU had a 2.5" system. Only lived in Zillmere 5minutes from the shop and it was the loudest 5minutes of my life, driving the Sierra there with just the extractors bolted up before the 2" system went in!!!
Matt.

junglejuice
13-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Just gotta do the extractors now....

Dudzy
13-10-2011, 03:22 PM
I got mine done there last year and I reckon its a great kit, I got the best you can get but my cat isn't a full flow.
Can't wait to hear yours mate!

xjrob
13-10-2011, 03:25 PM
My first trip to Rob Bliss was in 1982 when he did a system for my wife's Gemini, since he has done systems on my sons drift cars both Toyota AE86 and Nissan S15 and S13 Sylvias

Always good work.

Intergage
14-10-2011, 08:56 AM
My first trip to Rob Bliss was in 1982 when he did a system for my wife's Gemini, since he has done systems on my sons drift cars both Toyota AE86 and Nissan S15 and S13 Sylvias

Always good work.

Daddy a 4by driver.
Son a ricer drive.

Father and Son split apart. - Haha, I kid! :P

In 82 that is crazy! Also, your son still have the AE86?

Intergage
16-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Here is a video of the new exhaust. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpYEzcA-SOw&feature=channel_video_title

If you don't want to watch all the other crap, just skip to 00:55.

Steve F
16-10-2011, 06:10 PM
On the overheating problem, might go a bit better with the fan shroud back on it ;)

Cheers
Steve

Kiwi_Jeeper
16-10-2011, 06:40 PM
I just got a set of extractors put on my old girl and man what a difference! feels like i'm driving on small road tyres again it's a must i reckon for anyone looking for more torque

Easy Rollins 1
16-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Love the videos Inter,more please. :D

Intergage
16-10-2011, 09:21 PM
Love the videos Inter,more please. :D

If you like it man, I also have this but this is just for personal use I guess but it's on the youtube channel and everything as well.

http://jeepxjblog.blogspot.com/

Intergage
16-10-2011, 09:28 PM
On the overheating problem, might go a bit better with the fan shroud back on it ;)

Cheers
Steve

Does it have that much influence over the heating does it?
I need to pick one up and someone on here offered me a free one to pick up but I haven't been able to get a hold of him yet so I went to some wreckers today to get some air filter seals and some other stuff.. I might ask around tomorrow.

junglejuice
17-10-2011, 05:02 AM
Does it have that much influence over the heating does it?
I need to pick one up and someone on here offered me a free one to pick up but I haven't been able to get a hold of him yet so I went to some wreckers today to get some air filter seals and some other stuff.. I might ask around tomorrow.

Absolutely does make a difference, I can have a look and see if I have a spare shroud in amongst my plethora of spare bits if you like....

Intergage
17-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Absolutely does make a difference, I can have a look and see if I have a spare shroud in amongst my plethora of spare bits if you like....

If you could mate, that would be great!

Intergage
17-10-2011, 10:46 AM
If you do have one man, message me the details and ill organize it all. :)

disco_nex
19-10-2011, 08:44 AM
Damn, that sounds nice. When my father had his XJ 4.0L, he had a very similar exhaust. The sound was nice, but it was bloody loud.

How loud you finding it in the cabin while at speed? Do you have the 2.5' pipe?

I am considering getting it done, as my catalytic convertor is on its wasy out now likes yours was.

Cheers.

Intergage
20-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Damn, that sounds nice. When my father had his XJ 4.0L, he had a very similar exhaust. The sound was nice, but it was bloody loud.

How loud you finding it in the cabin while at speed? Do you have the 2.5' pipe?

I am considering getting it done, as my catalytic convertor is on its wasy out now likes yours was.

Cheers.

Hey man, thanks.
Yeah fairly loud but I like it! :P
If I'm on the highway going 80+ I can't hear it at all.
If I'm stop start that is when I hear it the most. Hitting in between 2k and 3k is it's best sounding pitch.
Also yeah, 2.5" pipe form extractors all the way back.

My cat was sticking pretty bad that is why it was one of the first things I did when I got the jeep.
I'm currently in the process of getting a new radiator and Dudzy (Ausjeep user) is going to fit it for me hopefully! :)

Hamsteh
20-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Hey man, thanks.
If I'm stop start that is when I hear it the most. Hitting in between 2k and 3k is it's best sounding pitch.

My cat was sticking pretty bad that is why it was one of the first things I did when I got the jeep.
I'm currently in the process of getting a new radiator and Dudzy (Ausjeep user) is going to fit it for me hopefully! :)

Sounds real good mate, all I've changed is my cat to a steel high-flow and even it made a big difference to the note.

As for your radiator, I reckon if you're looking to learn more about the jeep you should have a crack at installing it yourself!

I've had mine all but out when I was replacing the rest of my cooling system and I have a new copper/brass adrad sitting in my shed ready to go - I can't wait till I can find a weekend to hopefully switch the ol' leaky plastic one out!

Intergage
20-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Sounds real good mate, all I've changed is my cat to a steel high-flow and even it made a big difference to the note.

As for your radiator, I reckon if you're looking to learn more about the jeep you should have a crack at installing it yourself!

I've had mine all but out when I was replacing the rest of my cooling system and I have a new copper/brass adrad sitting in my shed ready to go - I can't wait till I can find a weekend to hopefully switch the ol' leaky plastic one out!

Yeah man, I'll def be with him helping but he did his and had a few problems so I'll need someone there that has done it before. I'm trying to get my hands on a water pump and maybe a power steering pump so I can do it all at the same time lol.
All in the same area and I have take them all out to get to the radiator anyway.

Hamsteh
20-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Ah yup, I did my waterpump before central trip, only issue I had was getting the copper tube out of the old water pump. It's a real bitch - make sure you get it in the right position before installing the new water pump - you can't really turn it once its installed for fear of cracking the waterpump itself.

Intergage
20-10-2011, 12:12 PM
Ah yup, I did my waterpump before central trip, only issue I had was getting the copper tube out of the old water pump. It's a real bitch - make sure you get it in the right position before installing the new water pump - you can't really turn it once its installed for fear of cracking the waterpump itself.

Ahh yeah true, thanks for the tip will keep that in mind. Need to get a fan shroud as well missing that.. I just want to get everything to do with heating out of the way ASAP so I can focus on lifts, flares, snorkels, wheels, etc...

Hamsteh
20-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Ahh yeah true, thanks for the tip will keep that in mind. Need to get a fan shroud as well missing that.. I just want to get everything to do with heating out of the way ASAP so I can focus on lifts, flares, snorkels, wheels, etc...

Yeah I hear you, never had any real serious overheating problems myself but it sure does get toasty offroad on a long hill climb! Hoping the new adrad plus a b&m auto cooler from summitracing will keep things a lil cooler.

Then time for an 'tiny' bit more lift I reckon (it never stops haha)

Dudzy
20-10-2011, 12:36 PM
Hamsteh I know what you mean about that tube, it is an absolute nightmare! I snapped the bracket that holds my vice down when trying to unscrew it haha

Hamsteh
20-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Hamsteh I know what you mean about that tube, it is an absolute nightmare! I snapped the bracket that holds my vice down when trying to unscrew it haha

Haha yup i think i broke about two toes trying to use my foot as a vice ;) hahaha

disco_nex
20-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Hey man, thanks.

Thanks for the response. I will certainly be looking at one soon!

Intergage
20-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Haha yup i think i broke about two toes trying to use my foot as a vice ;) hahaha

Please do tell! :P

Intergage
20-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the response. I will certainly be looking at one soon!

I would highly recommend it man! :P

http://jeepxjblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/matts-new-exhaust-system.html

Give that a read, basically everything I did is in there.

disco_nex
22-10-2011, 05:39 PM
I would highly recommend it man! :P

http://jeepxjblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/matts-new-exhaust-system.html

Give that a read, basically everything I did is in there.

Cheers, appreciate that

Antiferret
24-10-2011, 09:10 PM
does anyone do an entire "kit" from headers to tip?

my system is mostly shot

just curious..

Dudzy
25-10-2011, 12:57 PM
I'm sure any exhaust place would do a full kit including extractors, but you are probs looking at over 1k for it.
You can purchase extractors off the net and take them into an exhaust place to be fitted but I dunno if it would work out cheaper or not.

disco_nex
25-10-2011, 08:57 PM
does anyone do an entire "kit" from headers to tip?

my system is mostly shot

just curious..

I'll know by the weekend. My XJ had the extractors fitted about 70 000 km ago by the previous owner, and will have the rest of the system fitted this Friday.

When my father had his XJ, it had the full system, 2.5 pipe, with extractors. The difference is acceleration was noticeable, pulling faster than mine. The downside was the noise accelerating at lower speeds. It was a fair bit louder than usual.

When I have my new pipe fitted, I will post.

Antiferret
25-10-2011, 09:05 PM
looking at extractors myself, "hitech" as recommended by gojeep.
2 1/4 system - looking for low down grunt, not power.

will do cat next, sounds like a marble in tin can (no leak however) at idle.

"cherrybomb" glasspack last..

lookin for 1 stop shop for convenience