View Full Version : Hello form the UK

robxj
14-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Yeah i know a bloody pom! lol any way im over here on a 12 mth working visa and have bought my first Jeep, a 1999 cherokee xj 2.5 td. was cheap when i bought it but seems to be costing me a small fortune to bring it up to scatch for a possible 6 month trip around Oz just after xmas. If any 1 has any help full info about the jeep or about anywhere you can get them repaird at a at a reasonable price that would be helpfull, iam a amechanic but i fer that while im on the road in going to end up pay for repairs!

layback40
14-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Yeah i know a bloody pom! lol any way im over here on a 12 mth working visa and have bought my first Jeep, a 1999 cherokee xj 2.5 td. was cheap when i bought it but seems to be costing me a small fortune to bring it up to scatch for a possible 6 month trip around Oz just after xmas. If any 1 has any help full info about the jeep or about anywhere you can get them repaird at a at a reasonable price that would be helpfull, iam a amechanic but i fer that while im on the road in going to end up pay for repairs!

Hi & welcome!!!

Maybe you could give us some details of what is wrong with it.
Our site expert on them is in Germany.

robxj
14-10-2011, 09:20 PM
well to be honest i have sorted most things now, just have a left hand rear axel/ drive shaft seal to do, how does the drive shaft come out? also it is a bit sluggish to fire up? also quit sluggish on pull away, it that normal? and the clutch is on its way out is there anywhere you can get a cheap clutch in australia? think thats about all thats remaining to do.....:!:

layback40
14-10-2011, 11:34 PM
well to be honest i have sorted most things now, just have a left hand rear axel/ drive shaft seal to do, how does the drive shaft come out? also it is a bit sluggish to fire up? also quit sluggish on pull away, it that normal? and the clutch is on its way out is there anywhere you can get a cheap clutch in australia? think thats about all thats remaining to do.....:!:

You should be able to find out how to do the axle seal on here

http://www.naxja.org/forum/index.php

There is a ton of info there.

mine used to be sluggish to fire up. The cause was a air leak into the fuel system on the hand pump or the plastic screw on top of the filter. Sealed it all up & it starts quick. You could have a bad GP or 2. Mine is not that sluggish when cold. I dont try to hard when cold though so as to make sure the head gasket is not blown.

Not sure on the clutch. as you only want it for 6 months, if it was me, I would probably try & get away with just replacing the clutch plate. It may be a reasonably standard plate from a clutch place.