PDA

View Full Version : Boost!

robxj
27-10-2011, 06:40 PM
is there any quick cheap way of turning up the boost on a 2.5 turbo diesel?

Deezelweazel
27-10-2011, 11:13 PM
It is the easiest and quickest way to destroy it. Which model year?

Don't touch the engine without overhauling and modifying the coolant system.
You have to do way more than just turning up boost. The engine is already running at its thermal limit.
I'm running at 160 hp- but with heavy modification( to read as expensive!). It will cost you an arm and an leg. Don't even think about running without it.
Your headgasket will fail first- then the heads, after that bearings. You will constantly overheat. Overheat is head fail-again.
You will need a new HD clutch

Look into the VBGarage...
(or buy a gasser)

Mudmonster
28-10-2011, 07:57 PM
what sort of boost is normal? mine is running 15psi

Deezelweazel
28-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Depends on model, turbo and IP.
If you have an electronic IP- boost is limited, due to the boost failure recognition.
15psi+/- 2psi is normal.

Pressure is not the only factor, boost rise or lag does play a big part.

layback40
28-10-2011, 10:23 PM
It is the easiest and quickest way to destroy it. Which model year?

Don't touch the engine without overhauling and modifying the coolant system.
You have to do way more than just turning up boost. The engine is already running at its thermal limit.
I'm running at 160 hp- but with heavy modification( to read as expensive!). It will cost you an arm and an leg. Don't even think about running without it.
Your headgasket will fail first- then the heads, after that bearings. You will constantly overheat. Overheat is head fail-again.
You will need a new HD clutch

Look into the VBGarage...
(or buy a gasser)

I think its a problem with all people interested in cars.
They just want more!!
People dont realize that if it was easy to increase the output, the motor manufacturer would have done it in the first place.
The VM motor appears to have been designed so that there is no or little excess any where.
If in design, it was found a certain diameter head bolt was needed then they used it, not the next size bigger.

i guess the best way to upgrade would be to fit a 2.8 or 3.0 motor.

Deezelweazel
28-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Just an example:
a single HD head bolt is as expensive as a complete head bolt set...

there are some hp left and some improvements can be done, difficulty is to find them and to decide if they are worth it..