PDA

View Full Version : Pack rear wheel bearings with grease

Cypher
29-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Can anyone tell me if the rear wheel bearings need to be packed with grease before putting them in? I did some googling and some people say pack them and others say not to just apply some gear oil...

rodxj
29-10-2011, 11:28 AM
No mate, they get lubricated by the diff oil.........

Cypher
29-10-2011, 11:56 AM
No mate, they get lubricated by the diff oil.........

I thought that was the case, I'll coat them in some clean diff oil after I put them in

cheers! :)

anthonygubbin
29-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Hey Cyhper, a little trick I learned when refilling the diff which helps to give the bearings a little extra oil; is when you fill it up cover the hole half way with your finger and you can get a few mls extra oil in the diff. Like the bloke said to me the only time the wheel bearings get any decent lubing is when you go around a corner.

Regards A

kj69
29-10-2011, 03:09 PM
according to that theory if you drive down a straight road long enough bearings will cook

Steve F
29-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Cant see any harm in packing them with grease, better to be safe after the effort of replacing them. I packed the last set of mine as a precaution.

Cheers
Steve

sssadamsss
29-10-2011, 04:05 PM
if you pack them with grease, the grease will get into the diff???
thats not a good idea, gear lube only...

Steve F
29-10-2011, 04:19 PM
The amount of grease in a set of wheel bearings isn't going to make any difference to the oil in the diff. Whenever I drain my diff oil and replace it looks exactly like diff oil :) In saying that I dont pack them fully with grease.

Cheers
Steve

Deezelweazel
29-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Grease will be washed out-no worry. Ever looked into a diffcase while driving- I didn't.
But I know the gooey stuff is splashing everywhere...

anthonygubbin
29-10-2011, 06:39 PM
according to that theory if you drive down a straight road long enough bearings will cook

Theorecticaly but I guess it would have to be a bloody long road. I imagine that the thick oil would not fling off like engine oil. But hey I was only told this by a diff builder and I assume he would not be pulling my leg. But in saying that next time I see him I will suggest that to him KJ and see what he comes back with.

Regards A

Cypher
29-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Didn't end up packing with grease, mostly because I'm too lazy, but I did coat them liberally with diff oil after putting them in.

rodxj
29-10-2011, 06:53 PM
If the oil (in the Diff) doesn't reach the wheel bearings, why do wheel seals leak oil when their rooted, think about it dudes.....:hammer:

anthonygubbin
29-10-2011, 07:08 PM
If the oil (in the Diff) doesn't reach the wheel bearings, why do wheel seals leak oil when their rooted, think about it dudes.....:hammer:

Hey like I said I am only offering up what someone else told me, I made that pretty clear. BTW my diff was buggard and I mean buggard it was ready to have a major failure and it leaked no oil.

regards A

rodxj
29-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Hey like I said I am only offering up what someone else told me, I made that pretty clear. BTW my diff was buggard and I mean buggard it was ready to have a major failure and it leaked no oil.

regards A

A, I was pointing out the obvious to all, so don't take offence mate. Should have I added a lol to my post?.............
As for your diff, wasn't the pinion bearing buggered??

anthonygubbin
29-10-2011, 09:48 PM
A, I was pointing out the obvious to all, so don't take offence mate. Should have I added a lol to my post?.............
As for your diff, wasn't the pinion bearing buggered??

Cool, I offend people all the time maybe I should add LOL too.;) As for mine yerr it was but every other bearing was buggard as well in both diffs. Plus in mine one of the carrier bearing races on the rear had also spun and wore the shaft where it presses on to. :(

Regards A

fil
29-10-2011, 10:06 PM
The rear wheel bearings I just bought for my tj came packed with grease.
If they were not I would have packed them so they had some lube for the initial period until the diff oil reaches them.

janddbone
30-10-2011, 07:27 PM
+1 for adding grease...