PDA

View Full Version : No dash lights?

Easy Rollins 1
01-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Anyone have some tips? I might be alright at mechanical but am a numpty with elect stuff.
Where would I start?Would all the dash lights be blown? Fuse looks fine.

Only noticed when moving the Jeep around the yard on Sunday night.Never used it at night since I've owned it.lol

Hamsteh
01-11-2011, 05:02 PM
I think a common culprit is a dry solder for the earth behind the dash, no idea where though unfortunately but im sure someone here can point ya in the right direction

PTSCJ
01-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Turning the light switch clockwise or anticlockwise ( gentlly ) turns dash lights on or off.

Easy Rollins 1
01-11-2011, 06:20 PM
Thanks,but turning switch makes no diff.:confused:

Jaymz
01-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Easy Rollins once you figure it out, let me know...

I been using my GPS at night for my speedo for the last month... Thought my LED's were cheap, nasty ones, but changed em out for good ones and still have no dash lights...

Might drop it into an auto elecy one day for em to have a look...

Easy Rollins 1
01-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Will do.I was hoping it was a common/easy fix.

I'm thinking maybe the headlight switch.Should be no probs to bypass and install a seperate switch on the dash.:confused:

Mitch
01-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Do the lights in your t-bar work?I lost dash and t-bar lights at same time,turned out to be a wire had it,s insulation stripped by the t-bar moving back n forth under the console,bugged me for ages.

Easy Rollins 1
01-11-2011, 09:42 PM
No t-bar light either....that's a start anyway,thank mate.

Jaymz
01-11-2011, 09:47 PM
My T-bar lights out too... Might pull out the console this weekend and have a look...

junglejuice
01-11-2011, 10:36 PM
My T-bar did the same thing, if you need a new switch Easy R let me know as I have some....

Negdriver
01-11-2011, 10:52 PM
Easy Rollins once you figure it out, let me know...

I been using my GPS at night for my speedo for the last month... Thought my LED's were cheap, nasty ones, but changed em out for good ones and still have no dash lights...

Might drop it into an auto elecy one day for em to have a look...

No dash lights but headlights work?

I had this problem before with my previous xj. turns out the actual light switch is busted. Maybe the same for you and the others?

My 2cents for you.

eksjay
01-11-2011, 11:03 PM
I have been suffering in silence too... or in darkness.... [XJ95 Sport]

I still have my speedo lights [maybe some of them], T bar and T case lights, but have lost my radio [Philips] light, and the aircon light[s].

Also, I have been slowly cannibalising my RHS cluster lamps that show FT4WD, PT 4WD, fluid washer, hand brake blah blah...

Would a standard auto electrician know their way around/behind an XJ dash facia? Do I need to source these lamps myself before I take it to auto-elec?

Jeep stealers stopped stocking these lamps LONGGGGGGGGGG ago. When I first bought the car as new, I was impressed with how lit up the dash was at nite.

My cabin light plastic covers [middle and aft ceiling] have turned yellow over time - but I guess that is a plus in that flying insects are not as attracted at nite.

puzzell
02-11-2011, 12:37 AM
I lost my lights in a disco once and just got some led ones that point in a straight line and run of cig socket got me out of trouble until i could fix was a fuse so maybe check all of them first if you have not and check them with a multi meter because they can look fine but can be blown hope this helps mabey just even get you out of trouble till you can fix

hillsjeep
03-12-2011, 10:01 AM
I know this is an old thread, but I found it when I experienced the same problems, no dash lights, heater-A/C lights or drive select lights. For me it turned out to be the 5amp fuse in slot 25 in the foot well above my right leg as circled in this picture. I've just had a new stereo installed so if it blows again I'm going to have to check they terminated the old radio light power cables properly, otherwise it might be shorting and causing the fuse to blow. :(

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w12/vk3220/SN152410.jpg

Easy Rollins 1
04-12-2011, 08:45 AM
Been enjoying my XJ too much to resolve this issue but it's a PITA on a night drive.

Got a free day today so,will look at the fuse(again) and maybe a trip to JJ's Superspares(tm) before the day is over.LOL

hillsjeep
04-12-2011, 04:51 PM
I think I must have had a short somewhere as I ended up blowing fuse 9 as well. I ended up removing my new radio and tested it with that out and it was fine, so I reinstalled the radio and it has been good ever since - touch wood.

Cypher
04-12-2011, 04:56 PM
I think I must have had a short somewhere as I ended up blowing fuse 9 as well. I ended up removing my new radio and tested it with that out and it was fine, so I reinstalled the radio and it has been good ever since - touch wood.

I have seen this problem before where the headunit was wired incorrectly, the headunit ground was wired to the illumination wire (because when the headlights were off it appeared to be at 0v), worked fine but when the headlights came on the fuse blew and thus no dash lights.

Pandave
04-12-2011, 06:27 PM
i had this problem a few years ago. turned out to be a small hole in the headlight caused by a rock. water got in and shorted out the parkers, which in turn blew the dash fuses. check the parkers for signs of rust.

Easy Rollins 1
05-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Fixed!!

It was the fuse(only 5amp)....:rolleyes:

Thought I'd checked it before,sent my young bloke in with better eyes.

Jaymz
21-05-2012, 09:56 PM
Well mine got worse before it got better... But I'm slowly getting there...

Have been driving around all this time with no dash lights what-so-ever, and the final straw was on the weekend when my tail lights failed to work aswell...

So I finally fitted another headlight switch and checked all fuses. I had a blown 20amp under the bonnet and a blown 5amp in the foot well... Replaced both and got my dash lights and tail lights back. Only problem now is that I only have one illumination bulb on the cluster working... The one bulb that works, seems to work in all 5 illumination spots so I'm thinking the little brown carrier things for the bulbs are cactus. Either way I'm on the hunt for a spare 97/98 update dash cluster now to eliminate that as the problem..