PDA

View Full Version : Rust and Corrosion

eksjay
01-11-2011, 11:09 PM
At age 16, my XJ is starting to develop some corrosion and rust in the door hinges. Cracks have started to appear in a couple of hinges. This is as a result of the car not being garaged in the last 6 months.

What would be an approx cost to get this rust dealt with at a panel shop?

Say 4 hinges plus looking at mild superficial corrosion at the top welds of the B pillar.

Other than that, the car looks pristine and I am not prepared to give up this car, or let the rust spread.

dazza96
02-11-2011, 01:06 PM
same as mine mate just pull hood lining off and spray inside roof cavity with fish oil and call it a day and yes i know it smells but smell goes away in a few days
cheers dazza

glend
02-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Scrap as much off as you can with a wire brush and hit it with some Rust Converter

eksjay
02-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the advice. I recall seeing the same in other threads, and I remember there was one in particular about hinges.

The worst hinge is on the front pax side which is a result of people leaning on the f door handle as they enter and exit. Being the common occupant, I would have thought my driver's side door would have packed it in, but it hasn't.

Inside the door frames/pillars, I sense that the corrosion is setting in because the layers of paint and enamel have gone or thinned out, leaving the primer.

Fortunately for me, I have Pw7 white paint which is handy at patching up stuff that is beginning to emerge.

Hopefully, I will be able to regarage my car when I buy a second car for the daily drive before the rot sets in...

I really love my car!