PDA

View Full Version : Leaking radiator

Evert
05-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Well, as always, I fix one thing on this car and before I can drive it something else breaks.

I just finished fixing the EGR valve and now all of a sudden I have a coolant leak. It seems to come from the top corner (poassenger side) of the radiator. The radiator on these diesels are aluminium with plastic sides.
It's a bit hard to see where exaclty this leak is coming from, since it is tucked away nicely, but it looks to be coming from the plastic side part.

Has anyone have problems with aleaking radiators on the dielsels? Any specific spots where they usually start leaking?

And most important, anyone know of a place that sells cheap XJ radiators?

Hamsteh
05-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Hey mate a common spot for leaks on the plastic tank radiators is splitting where the tank meets the metal - prob not worth repairing unfortunately.

I got myself an Adrad for <$300 (for inline 6 mind you) and there are a few cheaper ones on Ebay. Not sure on quality but might be a good start.

Good luck mate,
Hamsteh

anthonygubbin
05-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Hey evert the plastic ones have two problems, like hamsteh said they split after a while. But they also leak at the seal some plastic ones are clamped together and under pressure the clamps/tabs can lose their tension. If the tank is fairly new it may just be the tension on the tabs a radiator place can clamp it back down for about 30 bucks and while they are there they can back flush it in the tank. If the plastic tank has split it will really be beyond repair because unless they are lucky the aliminium tabs will snap off once they opened up and reclamped.

Copper brass is the go.

regards A

Evert
05-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Cheapest radiator on ebay is just over 400 bucks and it looks like it's an arse of a job to get them in and out of the engine bay. I think I'll try a bit of chemi weld first....

I know it's not a good long term solution, but this bastard car doesn't deserve any more time and money spent on it.

Anyone want to buy a diesel cherokee?

anthonygubbin
05-11-2011, 08:44 PM
Cheapest radiator on ebay is just over 400 bucks and it looks like it's an arse of a job to get them in and out of the engine bay. I think I'll try a bit of chemi weld first....

I know it's not a good long term solution, but this bastard car doesn't deserve any more time and money spent on it.

Anyone want to buy a diesel cherokee?

Chemiweld will most likley not fix the problem and you will create other problems. Stay away from ebay no bargains there, it is an overpriced place to look for Jeep parts. Get friendly with a radiator shop you will get a copper and brass unit cheaper than $400.

Regards A

frog53
06-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Hi Evert,
I can recommend a place in Victoria - it is at 80 Railway Rd, Blackburn, VIc - 03) 8848 7010. I have a 2000 XJ 2.5 Diesel cherokee. I did a lot of research before buying mine and went to there factory and purchased it. For mine it was a heavy duty 2 row with a 2 year warranty, when I purchased it 18 months ago it was just over $300 now they are just over $400 - putting in the new radiator I also replaced the thermostat, top and bottom hoses, heater hoses, water pump and coolant - preventitive maintenance I believe is the key, good luck.

David