PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Engine Reconditioner?

Minnow
08-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Hi All,

My '00 XJ VM Motori 2.5TD has low compression, around 220psi... Therefore will never start. Does anyone recommend a diesel engine rebuilder in Western Australia that knows these VM motors?

Thanks for any advice.

murray
08-11-2011, 09:34 PM
there is a place near south freo tha does them as they are used in marine aplications
they are a freinds bro in law i will find out for yuo

Deezelweazel
09-11-2011, 03:21 AM
Describe your problem a bit more detailed.

Low compression on all cylinders?
mileage?
drop some oil into the cylinder via the glow plugs. Does the compression raise?
If so worn piston rings.
if not- leaky valves.
Which oil did you use? viscosity and ACEA class?

layback40
09-11-2011, 07:12 AM
there is a place near south freo tha does them as they are used in marine aplications
they are a freinds bro in law i will find out for yuo

Good advice !!
You need a place that does industrial/ marine diesels. The automotive places generally have no idea when it comes to these types of motors.

murray
09-11-2011, 11:25 AM
place is called ches marine

Minnow
10-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Thanks Murray, I'll check them out.

Deezel,
I'm not sure if the rings are gummed up or if the valves are leaking (i am leaning towards leaking valve seats). Yes all 4 have similar low compression.

I didn't think of that, dropping some oil in. I'll give that a shot this weekend.

I used Penrite HPR Diesel 5. ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/motor-oil/hpr/hpr_diesel_5

Minnow
10-11-2011, 11:15 PM
Describe your problem a bit more detailed.

Low compression on all cylinders?
mileage?
drop some oil into the cylinder via the glow plugs. Does the compression raise?
If so worn piston rings.
if not- leaky valves.
Which oil did you use? viscosity and ACEA class?

Its done just over 117,000km

Auberon
10-11-2011, 11:42 PM
Mate, with so little information I go into a tailspin.

How far has she travelled and what has her maintenance scheduling been like?
IS it all cylinders down - that would be odd.
You posted as I composed this.
Please ignore the parts of my post you just answered - oils should be OK and distance travelled should not be an issue.

Burning oil?
Smoke? - what colour black blue or white (all -ishes).
Blow-by? (see note re filter)
Rattle?
Does the air filter come out clean on the engine side or is it caked with oil film?
Does a heavier oil settle it down? Again as Deezelweazel asked what viscosities and class did you use? His suggestion of a squirt doon the plughole is a standard diagnostics tool....well worth a try.

Light running could've caused bore glazing rather than gummed rings. You need to do some old style diagnostics to establish what is wrong.
Even that is not such an issue - a deglaze isn't too hard - even using a hone properly.......but before that....

This answer IS in the little details.

The valves are not likely to wear equally either, nor the seats. Diesel is an intrinsic lube for valve seats unless it did lots and lots of cold short trips?
and also does a treat as a UCL.

If it comes down to gummed rings there are some products to try before you reco a motor like Cost Effective Maintenance have:
www.costeffective.com.au They have flushing oils and all sorts of other products are floating around out there once you have an idea of what is less responsive. Other manufacturers too.

Oil change intervals?

Has an engine oil flush been used each time the oil had been changed?

I could go on but we need some crumbs to help ya mate. Sorry this is long but these are the places I would start at were this my issue and then ...........