PDA

View Full Version : XJ engine noise.

PhantomBA
12-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Hi guys,
Last week I took my XJ weekend warrior out on a mud run with a bunch of other lads. All went great. I cleaned all the mud and crap off her when we got back then parked her in the garage. I started it this morning to go for a run but the engines making a noise that is similiar to a supercharger, it doesn't get louder with revs. I'm leaning towards it being the alternator. I used a garden hose to pin point the noise and it's coming from the right hand side pulleys under the airbox.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Some pics:

rastus2571
12-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Seems like you got a dry bearing in one of the pulleys mate.

Take the belt off (I know that is easier said than done. I got mine off ok by removing the A/C fan unit. 2 bolts at the top and loosen off the alternator to remove and re-adjust the belt))and spin each pulley by hand and see which one is making the noise.

Or put that garden hose on it or if you can al ong handle screwie onto the pulley mount whilst the enigne is running to find it with belt on of course.

Don't put it on the pulley as you will end up with an earfull of screwdriver.

On my Patrol and Range Rover I used to run the hose to the back of the pulleys whilst the motor was running to clean the crud out. It may or may not work for you.

Sounds like nothing serious mate. Bearings hate grit. See how you go it won't be too hard to fix.

loggy1968
12-11-2011, 02:26 PM
listen if the noise changes with a/con on when the compressor cuts in and out, if so prob ac clutch bearing. did mine myself but it is a PITA

Butch in a Jeep
12-11-2011, 02:47 PM
have a look at your pulley bearings my xj did a pulley bearing and the noise it made is like the noise you said you have
if it is a vs comdore will fit

PhantomBA
12-11-2011, 02:50 PM
listen if the noise changes with a/con on when the compressor cuts in and out, if so prob ac clutch bearing. did mine myself but it is a PITA

Just tried turning the ac on. The noise changes completely when the ac is on. Can you give me any advice on what I should do?

rastus2571
13-11-2011, 10:26 AM
As loggy1968 just posted Phantom. Sounds like the A/C then. The A/C unit is in just the right place to pick up crud.