PDA

View Full Version : Help needed 98XJ Cherokee

98XJ_Limited
23-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Hey guys,

Had a bit of a problem late today. I went for quite a long drive about 2.5 hour round trip and on the way back noticed the car sticking in the lower gears. If you put you foot down the revs go up but the car doesn't get anywhere just slowly goes along at same speed til it hits 3rd gear i think. its not putting along but quite a significant difference.

Also it was quite warm in Perth around 34 degrees but it was late afternoon evening when i was driving. the car wasn't over heating but seemed like a lot of heat was coming from under the car a lot more than normal and you can kinda smell that is hot if that makes sense?

Any ideas what it could be? I have a scan gauge that i have never used if that helps with diagnosing anything.

Thanks guys much appreciated..

junglejuice
24-11-2011, 06:30 AM
Have you checked the trans cooler lines along the side of the engine, they can get squashed restricting the oil flow to the cooler, may not be the problem but it is easy to check and is common.....

98XJ_Limited
24-11-2011, 07:08 AM
Yea the lines arent quashed there is a leak tho from the auto cooler lines not sure if that would contribute.

Driving to work this morning there was no problem tho seemed fine...

dazza96
24-11-2011, 07:43 AM
Yea the lines arent quashed there is a leak tho from the auto cooler lines not sure if that would contribute.

check oil level

junglejuice
24-11-2011, 09:13 AM
The trans cooler isn't full of mud or bugs is it?

98XJ_Limited
24-11-2011, 09:26 AM
It doesnt go offroad or anything so shouldnt be but ill check. If not should i just keep an eye on it see if it happens again?

There is a fair few things that need fixing on it, engine mount maybe transfer case mount as it hits bash plate when i go over bumps in the road, rocker cover gasket and various other oil seals, might just be getting old haha it has done 320,000km.

Easy Rollins 1
24-11-2011, 09:30 AM
Jet take off the bashplate,1/2" spanner and three bolts

anthonygubbin
24-11-2011, 12:56 PM

x2 on checking the levels, with the car in park and running. The trans cooler lines sound like they need cutting off at the join and rejoined using clamps and maybe some extra trans cooler hose. Mech did mine when I first got the XJ and he said that is one of the most common repairs he does on them.

regards A

98XJ_Limited
24-11-2011, 07:55 PM
I connected the scan gauge to my XJ after work today and got 2 codes come up

P0753

P0000

Any one know what these are?

rastus2571
24-11-2011, 08:04 PM
This is a problem I have been trying to find out and fix on the forum. Seperate post to yours but it may be a help to you.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110013

98XJ_Limited
24-11-2011, 08:37 PM
I clicked clear codes and scanned it again and now get P0700.

Look forward to any advice thanks guys..

rastus2571
24-11-2011, 08:44 PM
Ok looking for you.

rastus2571
24-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Ok that code is throwing PO-700 that states that there is a problem in the PCM ( Powertrain Control Module, Vehicle computer) related to the transmission. You said you had second code thrown apart from PO-700. Searching PO-000 and PO-753 from your posts.

PO-000 does not exist not a valid code. I think you typed it wrong in your post.

PO-753 is the 1-2 shift solenoid (malfunction) in the auto transmisson. This is what is throwing the PO-700 fault to the PCM. The PCM is reading a shift solenoid fault which is manifesting as a first malfunction for the PO-700 and the PO-753 is a secondary malfunction reading on back code to the original PO-700 in the PCM. This is a common problem in Aisin Warner boxes. This comes from heat related problems. The solenoids just die. This is why Jeeps need good auto cooling. They do not have them here in Australia. Heat kills autos. And from being on here, Jeeps I see have crap cooling on anything.

I believe that when the solenoid is replaced (Replace both and get a full auto service) it will be with one that has been upgraded. Toyota and Jeep have been in bed for along time and the upgraded one should be fitted. Get a Toyota one not Jeep. You'll be amazed at the price difference.

Don't ask me how much as I do not know. I just know Jeep original is unreal in pricing. Take out a second mortgage.

You can do it at home if you know what to do. If not take it to your mechanic. tell him to source Toyota. You'll be surprised how Toyota is on some prices of parts.

From what I have been reading and delving into Jeeps (from being a new owner and a long time mechanic) this seems to be a problem with the auto.

This is a Toyota auto. Aisin Warner.

I hope I have helped you. Rang a few mates tonight and they all say the same thing.

98XJ_Limited
24-11-2011, 09:31 PM
Thanks mate really appreciate you taking the time to find that info.

That explains the problem i had yesterday with the transmission then. would there be a reason why i don't seem to be seeing the symptoms at the moment. Is it something that just happens now and then and will gradually get worse?

thanks again..

rastus2571
24-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Mate, I hop on here when I get home at night and go thru the forums trying to help as much as I can and whoever to get you guys on the road. Long time mechanic and I do my best to help as I have a lot of computerised vehicle experience. As I say I may be right or wrong. I mainly worked on BMW,SAAB,LANDROVER and the few Mercs and Rolls and Bentleys. However mainly on 4wd after the Euros.

I don't want any guys being left stranded if I can help out mate. Only new on here but I am all over the forums trying to help.

And I have had some awesome weapon 4wd's over the years I built up.

My XJ is about to become another.
Mild first then go from there.

Yes the solenoids will start getting worse until they lock. Bit like a council worker. Work when they want. Drive it with a very light feather foot and no problem. Drive it normal and then same as what you have.

Comes down to keeping the box serviced and scan done at service to check codes.

With your tool of course.

As I say to my guys at work. The best diagnostic tool that god gave you is between you ears. Any strange noise or anything out of the ordinary let me know.

When your running 3/4 million coaches don't take chances.

And you did that mate. Catch it before it craps itself.