PDA

View Full Version : Leaking windscreen?

banky
24-11-2011, 04:48 PM
Rain in Brisbane today and sitting in the traffic I had water dripping from the headlining in front of the sun visors left and right side.
Is this common and would it be windscreen or maybe from the roof rack runners?

rastus2571
24-11-2011, 06:24 PM
Was it running out of the rubber where the headlining meets the rubber Banky?

Seems to me by the sound of it it is.

The Jeep is a monocoque chassis and since the body is not sitting on a seperate chassis on rubber mounts to take flex and vibration the whole vehicle flexes and twists.

I know you play with yours off road.

Nothing major to stress about mate. I have had XJ Jeep customers with the same thing before.

Get the windscreen popped out and resealed mate. Make sure no rust around the screen surround.

If it is the racks it would be coming up as blotches on the headlining if it was the racks leaking. The XJ does not have a double roof skin so water would drip on the headlining.

In some of the weather we get here mate I have told a lot of people that a submarine would leak in weather we get and they laugh.:p

Get the screen popped, run the Sikaflex and you'll be good to go again

banky
24-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Sounds easy, any idea how much it would cost?, do the screens pop easy? I have done a few before but none that are glued

rhysTJ
24-11-2011, 07:31 PM
word of warning when getting a screen removed be carefull of who'm does it there are alot of cowboys out there (specailly in city's) who just do it in a mad rush for money, my advice would be to ask questions about what they do when the old windscreen bead is cut off are the scratche's blacked with a sike prep primer? i work at a windscreen shop in a country town and we see so many F*&* ups cars rusted out to the point of holes and windscreen that aren't even gripped by the by the sika due to a lack of care and glass preperation.

my advice stay away from big city companies try find some one who cars about it. cheapest isnt always the best.

rastus2571
24-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Since the screen is an integral part of the vehicle from what I know. Due to no seperate chassis.

Monocoque chassis.

Glued in not just jammed in as not having a chassis. (and this is what I have been told by screen guys, I am open to correcting if I am wrong) it has to have a different bonding process to normal slap in screens. Vehicle that has a chassis.

I'll ring my boss at my old workshop t/m and PM you the number of who we used. He takes great care and cleans and primes it and fixes any rust if it is there.
However on the XJ as they are galvanised I don' think you'll find any rust there in QLD. He gives a guarantee.

I don't have his number anymore since I have been out of the trade for over 3 years now but still have heaps of contacts for anything and everything all over Aussie.

Brissy guy and he does a great job.

banky
24-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Excellent, thanks mate. I would like to get this fixed properly.

rastus2571
24-11-2011, 08:08 PM
PM you t/m mate.

sturz_00
25-11-2011, 08:58 AM
u will certainly find rust! had a 96 that was leaking from the headlining and when they popped the windscreen it bought half the rusted windsreen surround with it, had to have pieces welded back in and painted before putting windscreen back in. good luck hopefully not the case but be prepared with a few extra $$$ in case

rhysTJ
25-11-2011, 06:41 PM
u will certainly find rust! had a 96 that was leaking from the headlining and when they popped the windscreen it bought half the rusted windsreen surround with it, had to have pieces welded back in and painted before putting windscreen back in. good luck hopefully not the case but be prepared with a few extra $$$ in case

correctomundo!! hence the caution of who fits your cars windscreen! but i suppose its the same as everything on your car hey.. i hate people touching mine but mine was at the auto sparky's today i'm happy so far but we'll see what happens:)

Easy Rollins 1
25-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Howzit Banky,

I used this bloke a few weeks back,mobile comes to you.He did my ute for $170 and I asked him about my XJ while he was here,same price-$170 and you're away,resealed with a new screen.Makes a hell of a diff,will do the XJ down the road as it's starting to shit me with the scratches.He used good quality Sikaflex also.

Platinum Windscreens-0450 425 816 Alex

banky
25-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Guess that means no Tyres for Christmas then, wasn't expecting to hear about possible rust. Thanks for all the replies

rastus2571
25-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Banky, I could not get hold of my old mate today at the workshop I worked at. He was off sick. I rang his mobile and he was at home and did not have the number at home.

Don't stress you may not have rust.............

Then If you do .....Well we just have to deal with it.

I'll ring him again Monday and get the number mate.

rhysTJ
25-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Guess that means no Tyres for Christmas then, wasn't expecting to hear about possible rust. Thanks for all the replies

Your not definitely going to find rust there lets hope that you dont it's quite likely the glass was not prep'd properly that also is very common.

just make sure you get a good job and don't get it done at your house. your job won't be as good there's too many things that cant be controlled there. just take it into the work shop Rastus recommended and you should be fine. ;)