PDA

View Full Version : Fitting recovery points; Update Cherokee with ARB Bar

jeepbloke2
30-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Has anyone fitted recovery points with the ARB bar? Looking at it u could mount some where the bar uses 2 bolts under the 'chassis' but would it be better to brace then further up aswell? My rugged ridge ones did this and were very solid just they don't fit with my new bar!! I think it's gonna have to be a custom bracket job...

Cheers, Dean

XJKEE
30-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Just modify your bar and incorpate the recovery points

rastus2571
30-11-2011, 05:50 PM
My son in law has an ARB front bar on his GQ Patrol.

He has twin hooks mounted in the direction of pull each side of the uprights.

I mounted them for him on the inside of the uprights low down above the front main bumper channel on the uprights. Easy enough job to do.

They lie horizontal to the main bumper channel.

Get the drill out and go for it.

jeepbloke2
30-11-2011, 08:39 PM
I'm just concerned about the strength of the whole front end without bracing further back. Having said that though it is secured with 10 big bolts and any cross forces are braced with the Bullbar.. Screw it I'll knock something up haha

junglejuice
01-12-2011, 05:27 AM
ARB have always claimed that the loops on the front of their bullbars are rated recovery points which means you already have two recovery points on the front...

Hunno
01-12-2011, 06:02 AM
ARB have always claimed that the loops on the front of their bullbars are rated recovery points which means you already have two recovery points on the front...

I use these holes all the time.
However I use an equalizing strap & 2 shackles to spread the load, also allows to be recovered from any direction as well.

rastus2571
01-12-2011, 04:52 PM
I'm just concerned about the strength of the whole front end without bracing further back. Having said that though it is secured with 10 big bolts and any cross forces are braced with the Bullbar.. Screw it I'll knock something up haha

Mate,

ARB products are superbly engineered. Trust me.

You will not pull you front end off.

Go Knock something and see which comes off second best it wont be your bar.:D

jeepbloke2
01-12-2011, 05:22 PM
Its not a question of the bar itself being strong enough more to do with the huge forces that can be applied to the front of the unibody when being snatched or winched. I have seen bullbars ripped off, although I'm not overly concerned that it will happen in this case because it is secured so well... In addition to this I've read that the front rings on the bar are for a highlift jack fitting actually on this forum. I've also read about a GQ Patrol that had the plate at the front of the bar ripped out during a recovery. I'm gonna go and ask ARB whether or not it is a recovery point. I think correctly setup (tree winch strap) it should be fine...

Thanks for the replies

junglejuice
01-12-2011, 06:42 PM
I would just add the side plates that go further up the chassis like the factory bars do, that way it will be plenty strong enough and won't change your approach angle any either....

vk2icj
02-12-2011, 11:32 AM

ARB is no longer incorporating those loops or holes for recovery points. No ARB bar will have any recovery points.

Ask them your self. I was looking for a new ARB bar for my jeep 2 years ago and was advised that ARB no longer wanted to accept the liability with recovery points. Look at any NEW ARB bar and you will find they have nothing for use in recovery.

Every recovery point from now on will be custom. :confused:

Chris

sime
02-12-2011, 04:22 PM
this could be to do with the way the bars are designed? they would be designed to be pushed against not pulled?

I use the C-ROK steering box plate which provides extra strength on that side. Another option is the JKS plates or the JCR plates which add more bolts and steel to the front end to provide more points of contact and strength

XJKEE
02-12-2011, 06:41 PM
This is what we did with two dogs front bar
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92088&highlight=two+dogs