View Full Version : Rear wheel bearing

mylilTJ
26-05-2012, 07:25 PM
I had the axles out of my tj yesterday in perfect condition, put the axles back in yesterday, then drove approximately 30klms and in that time the passengers side rear wheel bearing collapsed,

Does anyone have any ideas on why this happened or what could cause it?

Cheers :D

sssadamsss
26-05-2012, 07:30 PM
maybe they werent perfect ;)

lifted TJ
26-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Have u put another bearing on the axle and driven it? Is there any shims etc that could of been left out?

Jonny Jeep
28-05-2012, 08:10 AM
Did you pack the bearings with grease before refitting them? If not they may not have got enough lube from the diff oil.

mylilTJ
28-05-2012, 08:53 AM
yep did that....

bonza
28-05-2012, 12:01 PM
bit odd, unless you stuffed up somehow but hard to see how

there is no preload to set, and as long as the retainer collar was hard up against the inner race, which should have remained in place on the axle as it is a shrink fit, every thing should have been sweet.

Kiwi Jeeper
28-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Have u put another bearing on the axle and driven it? Is there any shims etc that could of been left out?

Both of these are not practical on Dana 44 axle just to test. Bearing is press fit.

mylilTJ
28-05-2012, 06:36 PM
Both of these are not practical on Dana 44 axle just to test. Bearing is press fit.

I put a new bearing on the axle later on in the day when it happened joys of having mates with engineering shops.

I just thought it was strange for the bearing to let go just after I put the diff centre in, it was a mega pain in the ass.

Kiwi Jeeper
28-05-2012, 07:33 PM
I put a new bearing on the axle later on in the day when it happened joys of having mates with engineering shops.

I just thought it was strange for the bearing to let go just after I put the diff centre in, it was a mega pain in the ass.

It is very handy.

I was just saying to the other poster, its not a simple on/off with bearings, once you have put a new one to test you are done anyway.

You should have just changed the seal too for preventatitive maintenance.

itchy
29-05-2012, 07:21 PM
What brand bearing was it?

mylilTJ
30-05-2012, 08:47 AM
timken bearing was the replacement.

itchy
31-05-2012, 10:08 PM
Did you pack the bearings with grease before refitting them? If not they may not have got enough lube from the diff oil.

If there is oil in the diff, pretty sure the bearings ar swimmin in it?

bonza
31-05-2012, 11:02 PM
If there is oil in the diff, pretty sure the bearings ar swimmin in it?
thats right, but the FSM says to pack with grease on install. probably to protect the bearing until oil flows there and once the vehicle is stopped remaining residual oil is left there for next use

if a bearing fails soon after install it's usually caused by an install induced fault

Timken bearings are as good as they get

mylilTJ
02-06-2012, 06:43 AM
they'd wanna be good just about had to sell a kidney to get em.

bonza
02-06-2012, 11:39 AM
they'd wanna be good just about had to sell a kidney to get em.

where did you get them from? I usually get bearings from CBC, much the same price as any other brand like Koyo etc etc

mylilTJ
13-06-2012, 08:57 PM
it was in a cbc box, but I got it from beenliegh bearings. I have bought other stuff from there before and its been pretty cheap. but not this time.