View Full Version : road manner advice

rhysTJ
18-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Hey guys

My TJ has been pulling to the left for the past 3 months i know i should've fixed it earlier :hammer: . anyway after two wheel alignments and 2 tyre rotations it's still pulling left.

The car has 40mm spring and shock lift.
32 inch tyres
umm bull bar whinch all that crap...

Anyway i've done wheel rotation with no fix wheel alignment with no fix, i have checked changed tyre pressures with no fix..

So i decided to change tyre shop just to see if my tyre shop was at fault..
The owner of the tyres store said after looking under the jeep that he may be able to alter the lower left castor or along those lines..
He qouted $70 dollars and so i booked in on for wednesday.

After telling a mate i had it book it he then told me that castor can not be alter on my Jeep as its solid front axe...

Which of course leaves me Absolutely lost , as i really no nothing about wheel alignments

does the tyre shop idea seem like the right way to go about it or can castor not be altered?

cheers for the help

sossi
18-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Hehe, Did you consider the fact that all Australian roads have a Camber on them for Water Run off. and the fact that it only pulls to the left and not the Right supports this.

Maybe you could try drive on the other side of the road on a quite semi rural road and see if it pulls to the right then?

It happens to me.

My alignment is perfect on a perfectly flat surface, but as soon as I drive on the roads the car pulls to the left ever so slightly when I take my hand off the wheel.

Just a thought :)

sossi
18-06-2012, 09:54 PM
this is also just assuming that your car isn't pulling violently to the left when you let go of the wheel

wes
18-06-2012, 10:22 PM
My '97 TJ does a slight wander to the left when I let go of the steering wheel.

On my last trip up to the North West of WA, I tried what sossi suggested and drove on the other side of the road. (L-O-N-G, long stretches of open road up there).
Driving on the right hand side of the road, the Jeep was much less inclined to wander to the left but eventually did. Once the Jeep had wandered over the 'crown' of the road the left veer became more pronounced.

The Jeep wandered to the right occasionally - but not often.

Travelling right on the crown of the road and letting the steering go also lessened the wandering to the left - but it did eventually wander left.

I tried those tests at about 90 - 100 kph.

So, we have to be slightly turning right all the time just to go straight.
I don't know what the fix is (if indeed there is one) but I'm interested to find out as well.

Rosie
18-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Have you put an adjustable Panhard on?

Does yours have Castor bolts or aftermarket Arms? Castor cannot be adjusted left to right either. The diff is fixed.

rhysTJ
18-06-2012, 10:58 PM
@ rosie
no at the moment it's just springs and shockies
so no lower or upper arms or adjustable phanard rod
they are on the plan though hopefully soon
I had suspected they'd play a part

@ wes yeh my TJ has been doing it for ages... it's not a voilent pull to the left just like you described it sort of drifts/wanders left.
Do you have adjustable trackbar/control arms?

@sossi
I will try this hopefully tomorrow, and yeah the pull isn't violent just constantly wanders.
i'd hate to try explain wrong lane driving to the po po lol i'll make sure its outa town.

Wooders
19-06-2012, 10:33 AM
The owner of the tyres store said after looking under the jeep that he may be able to alter the lower left castor or along those lines..
After telling a mate i had it book it he then told me that castor can not be alter on my Jeep as its solid front axe...

If you have castor that would be part of your problem ;)
Some TJ's (early) got bolt cams in the front lower arms - which would allow slight adjustment in caster.

Tassie Jeeper
22-06-2012, 10:39 AM
if u dive on the brakes and it goes straight i wouldnt complain its not uncommon for my jeep to change lanes on its own in an emergency stop:rolleyes:

mylilTJ
22-06-2012, 09:02 PM
mines nearly always pulles to the left. sometimes it bump steers like a bitch, makes me think im driving a tractor at 80kmh sometimes.

rhysTJ
22-06-2012, 09:55 PM
sounds like a few people have a problem similar...
wes and mylil TJ
what sort of suspension systems are you running?

wes
22-06-2012, 10:26 PM
sounds like a few people have a problem similar...
wes and mylil TJ
what sort of suspension systems are you running?

Old Man Emu springs and shocks - adjustable track bar, ACAs all round.

When I was running the stock control arms, had the bolt cams on the front lower arms that Wooders mentioned - but have now taken them off.

mylilTJ
23-06-2012, 11:39 AM
2in OME, all round springs and shocks, stock control arms, panhard drop bracket in the rear. other wise stock.

killa
23-06-2012, 11:46 AM
TJ stock control arms are prone to being bent as they are made from left over tin foil.

Tassie Jeeper
23-06-2012, 12:16 PM
TJ stock control arms are prone to being bent as they are made from left over tin foil.

thats what iv always said (LIKE)