View Full Version : Regearing Checklist

khalak
27-06-2012, 05:28 PM
I've searched the forum, I've googled the interwebs. Now I need to make sure I have all the correct info to get this done.

I have an 06 TJ, with 6 speed manual, 2.5" lift, 33" muddies, SYE, yada yada. I believe that my stock ratios are 3.07, I am going to regear to 4.56 as I am going to want to move to 35s at some point and I'd rather just get this done once.

My shopping list so far is:
4.56 thick cut D44 R&P (http://www.quadratec.com/products/52419_931X_PG.htm)
4.56 D30 R&P (http://www.quadratec.com/products/52419_91X_B_PG.htm)
New carrier for D30, for 3.73 and up (http://www.wooders.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=17526&zenid=6d588385c952d2e038fc2c41e8f24f4d)
D44 Master Installation kit
D30 Master Installation kit
Speedo Gear

Have I missed anything on this list?
No I don't have lockers, nor can I afford to get them as well as the regear.

skwake
27-06-2012, 05:59 PM
seems about right, I'm doing the same thing at the moment. I also bought new bushings, hub bearings and ball joints but I am putting a HP dana 30 back under mine so they aren't strictly necessary for you. Make sure the master rebuild kit comes with the axle seals I have seen some that dont. If not they are cheap anyways, just a bitch if you have to get them ordered in after you start the job..

Are you doing the install or getting it done in a shop?

rhysTJ
27-06-2012, 06:07 PM
i'm interested in this too
i'll be getting mine done hopefully with 1 locker late early august

Tallpieman
27-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Make sure your factory LSD is working properly as it goes back in(notoriously unreliable), consider a truetrak($600) if it isnt..... After you have regeared your options will be limited to "lunch box" lockers so as not to disturb the gears.... Power trax no slip seems to be the best option..... Aussie also popular.

khalak
27-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Are you doing the install or getting it done in a shop?

I don't have the garage, tools or time to DIY, so I will be getting a shop to do it.

Make sure your factory LSD is working properly as it goes back in(notoriously unreliable), consider a truetrak($600) if it isnt.....

I'll get the shop to check it out while they have it's insides on the outside.

Rosie
27-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Other things to consider while you're at it:

Upgrade to HP D30 out of XJ - $100 extra
Sleeve the front - about $220 extra (Will pay for itself)
Rear wheel bearings and axel seals - about $200 extra
Re-enforce front upper and lower control arm mounts - Free if you can weld (If not learn)
Ball Joints - $160 for the set plus fitting

You don't have to do any of these things, but worth thinking about depending on milage etc

skwake
27-06-2012, 08:42 PM
I don't have the garage, tools or time to DIY, so I will be getting a shop to do it.

Yeah fair call. I thought I would have a crack at it only because I had access to a pretty well equipped garage and had a weeks spare time. Also because I said to myself if I'm buying this jeep, I am going to do as much myself as I can.

I would have had it done by now but got stuck waiting for tools to be delivered to Tasmania that dont seem to exist in the state... You would think rebuilding an axle was a standard mechanics job? too bad you can't buy the tools to do it :o

Goodluck with it though, I cant wait to see how much difference it makes over the stock gears

mylilTJ
28-06-2012, 10:25 AM
personally, I'd be considering putting lockers in it at the same time, its not often you have both diffs apart.