View Full Version : Front ARB Locker

Scottr
29-06-2012, 08:37 AM
Hi Guys,

Having lots of problems with the front ARB locker on my TJ leaking! Air is coming out the diff breather hose, so its obviously leaking from inside the diff (not an airline or compressor leak).

It was leaking a few months ago, so I pulled it apart to find that tone of the thrush washers was pretty badly damaged. Replaced, pressure tested and all was ok so I reinstalled and it was working perfectly. After a few months it started leaking again, so pulled apart again and this time one of the o-rings was a bit out of place. Replaced, pressure tested and back in again where it was working for a few more months up until now!

It is now leaking again, but I havent pulled it apart again yet. Any advice on what could be causing this to happen?

Thanks!!

yetiboy01
29-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Most likely the preload on the carrier is insufficient, when under load the carrier is pushed to one side in a slight angle causing the seals to leak, when preloading the air leakers you need to use a diff housing spreading tool otherwise you won't be able to get enough shims in to preload correctly

Sent from
yetiboy01's iPhone using Tapatalk

Scottr
29-06-2012, 09:13 AM
I had the diff serviced at a diff shop about 6 months ago and asked them to check preload, backlash, etc. They said that they did install new shims to change it slightly. Maybe it's still not quite right though. Thanks for the quick response!!

mylilTJ
29-06-2012, 12:24 PM
i'd call arb and ask them, might just the locker that was made 4:45pm friday arvo.

yetiboy01
29-06-2012, 05:13 PM
I had the diff serviced at a diff shop about 6 months ago and asked them to check preload, backlash, etc. They said that they did install new shims to change it slightly. Maybe it's still not quite right though. Thanks for the quick response!!

Ask them how they installed the shims & set the preload, did they use a case spreader, if not that's most likely your problem,

Clockwork Orange 1983 CJ8 work in progress,

Red 2009 JKU Auto V6
Sprintex Super Charger from JeepFord

markg
29-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Most likely the preload on the carrier is insufficient, when under load the carrier is pushed to one side in a slight angle causing the seals to leak, when preloading the air leakers you need to use a diff housing spreading tool otherwise you won't be able to get enough shims in to preload correctly

Sent from
yetiboy01's iPhone using Tapatalk

yep x 2 on the insufficant preload