View Full Version : Third 4wd, first JEEP

kingofsideways
09-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Howdy all,

Brought my first Jeep last week a 2002 TJ Wrangler 5spd manual 48,000kms mods 33" BFG muddies, SYE, 5.5" RE long arm kit, front swaybar disconnects and a throttle body spacer.

I took her out yesterday to "Pinecreek" local 4wd spot, the lift that is under it is way to stiff and high it was picking up wheel more then my IFS Pajero used to up to :( so that has gotta change and idea's as to what i should do?

The only other complaint i have is the throttle is very stiff and jerky every little bump made the car jerk and lunge forward ive had a pajero and a hilux before the jeep and ive never run into this problem is it common? and does anyone have any suggestions on how i can overcome this i tried all different foot placements and nothing seem to help i had a look at the throttle spring on the throttle body and was thinking about making it a tat shorter to put more tension on it, but i dunno

The truck needs regearing i know that but if you guys know of other things that i should be doing straight up please list them below as this is going to be a truck in progress and im all ears for help and suggestions :)

http://i47.tinypic.com/25txgmo.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/o512cx.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/o1077m.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/vzg9bp.jpg

lockdup
09-07-2012, 09:16 AM
Nice looking TJ mate. The suspension lift the car has should enable it to Flex great. A long are kit is one of the best mods you can do to a TJ and 5.5" springs should flex very very well. I'm guessing that you didn't disconnect your Sway Bars and/ or your Shocks are limiting flex. I wouldn't change a thing on the lift, maybe smaller springs but this shouldn't affect your flex.

kingofsideways
09-07-2012, 09:36 AM
Thanks mate, she is pretty mint inside and out, having such low km's is nice haha, the thing i noticed was the flex is there but it picks wheels up first like 1.5m in the air and then other times it flexs okay, i left swaybars in as it was my first drive and wanted to see how it went but also i would like to be a little closer to the ground as i do alot of rockcrawling/hill climbs and it got abit tippy yesterday lol.

The thing i was thinking of doing was just lowering the coils a little, i dont know what shocks are in it as everything has been painted black to keep it neat, i would like the best coils for flex as its not my daily drive so i dont mind if its a hand full to drive as long as it flexs nice in the bush.

AussieCJ7
09-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Sway bars left connected def would not have helped you, short wheel base jeeps need to be disconnected or have a antirock style swaybar system.

Shocks need to be checked out for length but given the rest of the gear being RE longarm etc it would be fair to assume there is a good change the previous owner put on decent length shocks

I would run it up on a ramp for a bit of diagnostics to check out where it is binding, as with the kit listed it should flex and ride very well and be pretty stable

AussieCJ7
09-07-2012, 10:05 AM
oh yeah throttle is normal lock your boot against the side of the tub or put a sponge under the throttle when off road

Tassie Jeeper
09-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Nice looking TJ mate. you didn't disconnect your Sway Bars and/ or your Shocks are limiting flex. I wouldn't change a thing on the lift, maybe smaller springs but this shouldn't affect your flex.

5" is too high imo for 33"s anyway id personally drop it down to 4.5" coils and that will help with the stiff ride u are complaining of. also if u haven't driven a lifted shorty before u need to take some obstacles alot slower intill u relearn how the car drives and disconnect the front swaybar offroad.

oh yeah throttle is normal lock your boot against the side of the tub or put a sponge under the throttle when off road

x's 2 on this very common (u do get used to that)

kingofsideways
09-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Thanks for all the input guys this is an awesome forum.

I will try the sponge trick for sure next weekend, has anyone played with the spring on the throttle body? With the suspension i am going to put some 2" coils under it that came with the car as long as the shocks dont bottom out to see if that helps at all, i didnt know that the front sway bar played such a big roll in the way these jeeps behave off road so ill have to disconnect them next time also.

I would like to keep is as low as possiable with lots of travel so what coils do you guys think would suit best ie. size and brand?

Cheers Longy

Tassie Jeeper
09-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Thanks for all the input guys this is an awesome forum.

I will try the sponge trick for sure next weekend, has anyone played with the spring on the throttle body? With the suspension i am going to put some 2" coils under it that came with the car as long as the shocks dont bottom out to see if that helps at all, i didnt know that the front sway bar played such a big roll in the way these jeeps behave off road so ill have to disconnect them next time also.

I would like to keep is as low as possiable with lots of travel so what coils do you guys think would suit best ie. size and brand?

Cheers Longy

i run Rubicon Express 3.5" coils and alot of others do also its a nice height but seeings as u got long arms id go 4.5" and 35" tyres:hump:

lockdup
09-07-2012, 04:16 PM
I say go either the 4.5'' RE like Tassie suggested or the 3.5" RE. Have a look on wooders.com.au. you will find most things there and great service