PDA

View Full Version : Speed related squeak/rattle/grinding sound

Whitestripe99
09-07-2012, 06:04 PM
I have a 99 jeep wrangler, and I've noticed a sound coming from what sounds like just in front of the transmission, it's extremely loud and VERY annoying! Taking the fun out of driving my much loved first car!! So I'm very eager to fix it. Now I've found a clip on YouTube of the sound, it's not very loud on the video, but it should give an idea of what it sounds like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwvSQQ2JSS8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thank you:-)

justjeeps
09-07-2012, 06:43 PM
sounds like front drive shaft cardan joint

Whitestripe99
09-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Thank you for taking the time to reply. How can I make sure that it is? What do I need to look for? Is it easy to replace?

Whitestripe99
09-07-2012, 07:57 PM
and also the noise happens when its in 2wd and 4wd, i dont know if that will make a difference

Kiwi Jeeper
09-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Easiest check is to take the front driveshaft off and then drive to see if the noise is gone now. If gone, its the driveshaft as suggested. Otherwise, front axle u-joint or even the bearing. Driveshaft is the likely target though.

justjeeps
09-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Thank you for taking the time to reply. How can I make sure that it is? What do I need to look for? Is it easy to replace?

Remove front drive shaft there is 4 bolts at each end of drive shaft if noise is gone thats your problem you can buy the parts needed to fix at wooders or usa4x4

rhysTJ
10-07-2012, 02:15 PM
have been driving in mud or grity water or anything like that lately? or even pressure cleaned the underbody of the car?

As suggested either remove the drive shaft and test or alternatively jack the front of the jeep up and support it, then climb under and listen CAREFULLY for a squeaky sound as you turn the driveshaft manually.
The noise will not be loud at all when turning the shaft manually so be sure to listen well.

Also when this happened to me i had only driven the jeep probably a total of 5 mins with the noise so i just stripped and regreased everything and have done over 4000 kms on it now and still fine.

Also a good thing to do is to get hose clamps to suit the rubber boot on the front driveshaft soo you can remove it at any point and grease it.

JonoWard
26-07-2020, 10:19 AM
So I have a similar problem.
Speed related clunk grind coming from passenger left mid to front of the car.
Thought it was axle uni but I’ve changed them. Done front prop shaft uni but not the rear double one yet.
I’ve had the left front up and spun the wheel. No noise. When driving LOTS of noise that increases with speed, fades at 70kph.
Really weird thing is it stops if I put it in H4.
I’ve also changed the trans oil, no change in oil.
It’s all std apart from 30mm spring spacers but they went in long before this.

bonza
26-07-2020, 07:16 PM
So I have a similar problem.
Speed related clunk grind coming from passenger left mid to front of the car.
Thought it was axle uni but I’ve changed them. Done front prop shaft uni but not the rear double one yet.
I’ve had the left front up and spun the wheel. No noise. When driving LOTS of noise that increases with speed, fades at 70kph.
Really weird thing is it stops if I put it in H4.
I’ve also changed the trans oil, no change in oil.
It’s all std apart from 30mm spring spacers but they went in long before this.

does sound like it maybe the front prop shaft centering yoke, but odd noise goes awy in H4.

take out the front propellor shaft and drive around to see if the noise goes away.
if this is the problem a new centering yoke assy spicer 211355x https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/dana,211355X,universal+joint+yoke,2408

driving around with a centering yoke that on its way out will eventually seize and wreck your transfer

I replaced mine along with all uni joints during the first lockdown. mine was dry as a bone and on its way out