PDA

View Full Version : tj lift kit???

fyffy
11-07-2012, 08:00 PM
hey all havent yet got a tj but am getting one very soon so looking into mods already with the lift kits i see on lots of sites there just springs and shocks and this looks to simple to be right for a 3 inch lift is it as simple as to swap out the springs and add new shocks? or should i be looking at dif kits?
and would a 33inch tire be ok on the auto trasmition? or should i stick to 31s?
any help would be good thanks also what are some good sites to buy gear for jeeps in aus like bull bars and side steps and other accesories cheers

Army Barbie
11-07-2012, 09:47 PM
Hey fyffy,
33s should be fine with the auto. Bit more in fuel obviously. Id suggest lifting your truck first then deciding if you need bigger rubber.:)
Lift wise.. General rule of thumb is anything over 2" suspension lift needs a slip yoke eliminator and HD rear driveshaft to improve the pinion angle aaaand extended brake lines.
Check out the vendors on here for aftermarket parts and you've got the states to look too. Don't just limit yourself to ARB/TJM etc.

fyffy
11-07-2012, 10:14 PM
yeah ive found that arb and tjm dont have much and if anythink its expencive cant wait to get into a jeep
and start havin fun

rhysTJ
11-07-2012, 10:46 PM
I'd really suggest doing some research on here and other forums from the states so much information is needed to lift a Jeep properly... and there's so many different kits out there look into SYE control arms and just try to gain as much knowledge as possible and then look into what kit your buying... ARB is okay but you want to get a really well decked out kit look at the vendors on here..

Also lift kits from the states alot of parts won't work with bot LHD and RHD jeeps....

slayer
11-07-2012, 11:09 PM
I'd really suggest doing some research on here and other forums from the states so much information is needed to lift a Jeep properly... and there's so many different kits out there look into SYE control arms and just try to gain as much knowledge as possible and then look into what kit your buying... ARB is okay but you want to get a really well decked out kit look at the vendors on here..

Also lift kits from the states alot of parts won't work with bot LHD and RHD jeeps....

Can't agree enough!!do your research!!IMHO this site is prob the best place to get the info you seek!!

slayer
11-07-2012, 11:13 PM
One thing you will want in the future is diff covers and I'd defo be looking to ARB then!!
But for 33's go wooders for a 3.5" and Adams driveshafts on eBay for SYE.

slayer
11-07-2012, 11:15 PM
Oh and as AB said try vendors on here!!!

fyffy
12-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Also guys what are good power mods can u get performance chips?

Lieutenant
12-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Also guys what are good power mods can u get performance chips?

Assuming you don't do anything drastic (read as change the engine to a V8 ) there is really nothing that's going to give you major improvements. Throttle body spacer, open air intake, better exhaust system may all help...but the gains will be minimal (some will even say you'll get no gains).

Cornelius
12-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Yes research and then some .........lifting it properly takes more than springs and shocks, like the others said got to have that SYE. I have also found that a 3.5 lift requires adjustable control arms , shock relocation brackets , adjustable track bars ........and I did not know this up front ............so plan carefully .........and do not forget the swaybar disconnects else you will just lift wheels everywhere .........
It gets expensive if you get it wrong .............so make sure first time round ........

fyffy
12-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Yeah ok will prob just get an exhauste for a nice sound. Thanks will sway bar disconnects help out even with out the lift ?

rhysTJ
12-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Yeah ok will prob just get an exhauste for a nice sound. Thanks will sway bar disconnects help out even with out the lift ?

sure will..Although the better lift kits are more complete and generally come with disconnects but i think JKS are the most popular disconnect.

i am in the process of gathering coins for a decent lift for the jeep it's dear but it is worth while trust me i have a bad lift combination at the moment and EVERYTHING bar price is better with a complete set up

Cornelius
12-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Mate I have been having issues with getting my lift right ( only a mild 3" ) and I can tell you if there is anything you want to know about getting it right first time phone Wooders Garage ( vendor on here). They are super helpful and they seem to know Jeeps inside out. You will get the right advice first time round so you can make the right choices first time round. I'm sure that sooner rather than later we will see you out there in a tuff looking Jeep ......