View Full Version : Roof racks on hard top??

fyffy
19-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Has any one installed roof racks to a hard top?? Can ya just get a set of the rhino racks and bolt them to it in the corners would be strong I recon it would obly be to hold a tent and some fishing rods any ideas??

Tassie Jeeper
19-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Has any one installed roof racks to a hard top?? Can ya just get a set of the rhino racks and bolt them to it in the corners would be strong I recon it would obly be to hold a tent and some fishing rods any ideas??

can get a rack that bolts through hard top and onto internal roll bar or can get one like mine wich is attached via winscreen bracket and chassis

KentM
22-07-2012, 09:19 PM

This is the one I've got.

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Images/23661/23661-lg.jpg

Although the rack that came with it leaves a lot to be desired so I had Tradesman custom make an alloy one that bolts onto the Olympic uprights.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-K2nFTk96weE/T4Ta_ka2ZSI/AAAAAAAADFM/PEYQryMlbzU/s400/P1020457.JPG

rhysTJ
22-07-2012, 09:54 PM

victor at Black Jack Welding makes a rack that goes through the hard top and connects to the roll bar structure. I imagine it would support alot of weight or other brands like

Gobi
Garvin
Warrior
and there are brands out there but all relatively similar design.
These racks generally mount at the windsheild brackets which is quite a structural part of the TJ and the supports either tie in with the rear of the tub or down to the chasis rails.

Tassie Jeeper
23-07-2012, 10:46 AM
victor at Black Jack Welding makes a rack that goes through the hard top and connects to the roll bar structure. I imagine it would support alot of weight or other brands like

Gobi
Garvin
Warrior
and there are brands out there but all relatively similar design.
These racks generally mount at the windsheild brackets which is quite a structural part of the TJ and the supports either tie in with the rear of the tub or down to the chasis rails.

i have the garvin rack and it is secured to all 3 points mentioned has been great but i will probably put some alloy mesh in it at a later date

anotherblacktj
23-07-2012, 03:13 PM
I have the Gobi rack which is really solid and would carry more weight than I would care to put up there

Sontssonts
23-07-2012, 04:01 PM
i had rhino racks on my hard top before i sold it. can take a fair bit of weight but i wouldnt push it too much. perfect for rods, tent, surfboards and a 33" spare.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff473/SontsSonts/f89258e8.jpg

rhysTJ
24-07-2012, 12:13 AM
Wild boar products do an AWESOME looking rack AND the design looks like it actually going to be simple to remove the top with the rack still installed.

It's the same style as gravin and gobi by the looks of it... no idea on the prive but i expect it to be expensive..

fyffy
24-07-2012, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the info guys think il go for the rhino rack will only be putting a tent and fishing rods up there most of the time

Tassie Jeeper
24-07-2012, 08:01 PM
I have the Gobi rack which is really solid and would carry more weight than I would care to put up there

just be warned although u can physically load the rack up i beleive it is only rated to 100kg or less

rhysTJ
24-07-2012, 08:45 PM
just be warned although u can physically load the rack up i beleive it is only rated to 100kg or less

the gobis are rated too close to 300kg the points that it mounts to are very structural probably only of the best roof rack system available all vehicles racks shopuld be like this... none of that patrol gutters and the cruiser ones that bolt throught the roof :wall:

a quick google shows the gobi hold 272kg

jeep_bne
24-07-2012, 09:19 PM
I've just installed the MBRP rack and believe it can easily hold a couple hundred kilos, I've seen pictures with 5 or 6 guys standing on it. Does require drilling through the hardtop but I found the installation quite easy.

http://i.imgur.com/D4byg.jpg

Tassie Jeeper
25-07-2012, 11:22 AM
the gobis are rated too close to 300kg the points that it mounts to are very structural probably only of the best roof rack system available all vehicles racks shopuld be like this... none of that patrol gutters and the cruiser ones that bolt throught the roof :wall:

a quick google shows the gobi hold 272kg

as long as its rated to that it should be fine id be quite comfortable putting that much on mine too but its still only rated to 300 pounds approximately 100kg which i think is more about the center of gravity than structural integrity.

Tassie Jeeper
25-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Our Garvin Wilderness Expedition Racks are designed to carry your gear wherever your trail takes you. The rack is designed to work with either hard or soft tops. The racks mount securely to the front windshield brackets and to the rear body of the Jeep in two locations. Drilling required for installation. The Expedition Rack can hold up to 300 lbs off-road or on road. Our specially engineered tilting feature allows you to raise the unloaded rack for lowering or raising the soft top. Rack is 54"W by 72"L and has 4"H sides. Fits 1997-2006 Jeep TJ/Rubicon Wrangler

300lbs=136.078

anotherblacktj
25-07-2012, 01:14 PM
The Gobi's rated at 600lbs/270 kg but I wouldn't want drive the jeep with half that weight up there.

timbotrog
25-07-2012, 01:56 PM

There are some roof racks that can mount into channel. The channel mounts to the hard top then the roof racks mount to it. The added benefit of this is to spread the weight out accross more surface area of the hard top making far more stable, secure and a greater weight/load bearing.

These Prorack Whispbar HD units have a load bearing weight of 100kg. Have a look at their "Track mounting" towards the bottom of the page. This stuff is available at Ray's outdoors, SuperCheap etc

http://www.whispbar.co.nz/roofracks/whispbar-hd

Cheers
Tim

The Buzzcutter
25-07-2012, 05:13 PM
There are some roof racks that can mount into channel. The channel mounts to the hard top then the roof racks mount to it. The added benefit of this is to spread the weight out accross more surface area of the hard top making far more stable, secure and a greater weight/load bearing.

These Prorack Whispbar HD units have a load bearing weight of 100kg. Have a look at their "Track mounting" towards the bottom of the page. This stuff is available at Ray's outdoors, SuperCheap etc

http://www.whispbar.co.nz/roofracks/whispbar-hd

Cheers
Tim

What about the wind loading? for example if you mounted say a surfboard at 80-110k's on the freeway would'nt this provide a considerable extra 'load' due to downforce?