View Full Version : Best lift for 31's

fyffy
23-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Hey all
I'm fitting sum 31 x10.5 BFG km2s to the Tj soon and want a lift to help out off road just a basic 2 inch lift I'd be happy with just wondering were I should get it from and how much it should cost.

sssadamsss
23-07-2012, 07:13 PM
you can fit 31s with no lift on the TJs.

you should put a 1" body lift on and get some front disconnects.

then save your coin to get a real lift thats not going to do more harm than good.

rhysTJ
23-07-2012, 07:41 PM
you can fit 31s with no lift on the TJs.

you should put a 1" body lift on and get some front disconnects.

then save your coin to get a real lift thats not going to do more harm than good.

^ sounds like a good idea although chuck in some decent shocks i hated the the stock ones... maybe some bilstein 5100 there what i'll be getting

Also alot of basic cheap 2" lifts are bad IMO but if you do go down that patch stick to a decent company like rubicon express, OME teraflex or better yet purchase from a Vendor on the forum and they'll help you with the whole setup

fyffy
23-07-2012, 08:22 PM
Yeah it's stock as ATM hasn't been changed since 96 so it's a bit rough I don't wanna go two high as its my girlfriends daily driver and not going to hit to much hard core stuff just some weekend fun. And want to get a reasonably cheep set up

Bogged
24-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Cheap way to get the lift would be a budget boost system, teamed with the Rubicon Express Mono Tube shocks (Rebadged Bilstein)
http://www.wooders.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=370_40_168_414&products_id=524http://www.wooders.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=370_40_168_414&products_id=524

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/RE7030RXJ%20%09Rubicon%20Express%20TJ%202%C3%A2%C2 %80%C2%9D%20Spacer%20System%20%28W/%20Monotube%20Shocks%29

Army Barbie
24-07-2012, 04:04 PM
I ran a 2" old man emu suspension lift for a few years and loved it. Nice and smooth. I've now put procomp shocks in and still running the old man emu springs.
Doing a body lift will make the ride stiffer because your messing about with the spring rates.
You won't need a lift on 31s (I ran 31s on road and offroad for a while without any problems) but if you want it to be better offroad and smoother on road, a 2" lift will be fine :)

Moses
24-07-2012, 04:28 PM
[QUOTE=Army Barbie;1302617]Doing a body lift will make the ride stiffer because your messing about with the spring rates.[QUOTE]

pardon my ignorance but how does lifting the body affect the spring rate ??

rhysTJ
24-07-2012, 07:32 PM
[QUOTE=Army Barbie;1302617]Doing a body lift will make the ride stiffer because your messing about with the spring rates.QUOTE]

pardon my ignorance but how does lifting the body affect the spring rate ??

It doesn't.... shouldn't affect the coils springs in anyway at all..

Please explain more Army barbie... :-?

Army Barbie
25-07-2012, 11:12 AM
[quote=Moses;1302628]

It doesn't.... shouldn't affect the coils springs in anyway at all..

Please explain more Army barbie... :-?

Ha. Sorry! Turns out I can't multi task. I was thinking coil spacers not body lift. Haha

Moses
25-07-2012, 01:12 PM
i still don't see how that will affect the spring rate

Army Barbie
25-07-2012, 04:02 PM
I was under the impression that coil spacers change the spring rate because more pressure is being put on the spring therefore increasing the sprung force of the spring itself.

Happy to be proven wrong though.. :)

Moses
25-07-2012, 05:41 PM
i don't think it works quite that way Barbie

the spacer simply lifts everything that little bit higher above the spring, there is no pressure to speak of, the only pressure is the weight of the car sitting on the coils, and the weight is the same just that little bit higher

rhysTJ
25-07-2012, 08:54 PM
a spring rate is the amount of which a spring "suspends" to the amount of force applied

so no.. coil spacers are not going to affect the spring rate at all.. ;)

fyffy
26-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Has any one used or herd of the kit from 4wd1 website it's the stage 4 rancho Moab kit gives 2.5 lift for 1500 bucks I think it looks like good value can anyone give me any feed back on it? And would it be easie to install. Cheers

rhysTJ
26-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Has any one used or herd of the kit from 4wd1 website it's the stage 4 rancho Moab kit gives 2.5 lift for 1500 bucks I think it looks like good value can anyone give me any feed back on it? And would it be easie to install. Cheers

that would be the 2nd best kit they offer for the TJ first being the crawler rancho kit which is a very impressive kit although very over priced IMO.And yeah there all fairly simple to install just take a weekend and read the insturctions and take your time.

The moab kit would be okay but have you tried wooders garage? i suggest you give them a call and tell them what you want out of the kit and your budget and they'll recommend a kit.. they sell rubicon express which is a GREAT jeep suspension company

Also stay away from the iron man and EFS kit that 4wd1 stock... i have it and it is a horrible lift.

fyffy
26-07-2012, 09:16 PM
Cheers il give them a call Tomro what's wrong with the efs lift I have one in me rodeo and it's ok. Also if I put a gearbox spacer in will that mate needing the sye adaptor?

rhysTJ
26-07-2012, 09:39 PM
I'm not sure about the EFS, the iron man coils are average but the shocks is what really lets it down, there just not suited to a wrangler and for the money you'd be better off saving up and buying a more complete kit.

rhysTJ
26-07-2012, 09:40 PM
maybe try fitting up the kit without the transmission spacers and if you get driveline vibrations you'll have to add the transmission spacers.

Army Barbie
27-07-2012, 07:41 AM
Cheers il give them a call Tomro what's wrong with the efs lift I have one in me rodeo and it's ok. Also if I put a gearbox spacer in will that mate needing the sye adaptor?

Install the suspension lift first and go for a drive.. If you get vibrations, then spend the money on the tcase drop kit. If you put it in without needing it then your 2" lift turns into a 1" lift cos your belly is back down to standard height from the ground. It's surprising how much difference it makes. I installed the spacer kit at the same time as the lift and was getting hung up on the belly. Someone told me to pull the spacers out and see if I'd get any vibes and I did t and now don't get hung up on the belly.:)