PDA

View Full Version : Jeep won't start, check gauges light and battery says no charge

motas
08-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Hey. Just put my 98 tj back together because I had the fenders etc off. Dad drove it back from the farm and halfway down the driveway the check gauges light came on and it stalled and refused to start. We towed it home and hes gone to work so im stuck here with no tools and no license trying to get it to work because I need to move it. I charged the battery up because it was flat and now it is fully charged, everything lights up and the stereo works but it refuses to start and still says check gauges and the voltage gauge says dead flat. There are no error codes.
Any idea what it could be?
Thanks.

motas
08-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Gauges also die when I brake and then light back up. They cut in and out when ignition is on but stereo works flawless.

motas
08-08-2012, 12:35 PM
And now everything has cut out except a dim parking brake light

motas
08-08-2012, 12:39 PM
And the fuse box has a quiet but continues clicking.

bonza
08-08-2012, 03:37 PM
probably battery connections. try giving them a jiggle or a light tap with a hammer.

your on a farm, there must be a hammer there somewhere

motas
08-08-2012, 04:40 PM
No we brought it from the farm to home. Not a single tool here. Its stopped raining so ill go for a ride and get one.

motas
08-08-2012, 05:07 PM
Cleaned up the terminals and it just turned over enough to start. It wouldn't idle and since I've kept it going for a while it has a very low idle. Is this normal?
Thanks.

rhysTJ
08-08-2012, 07:43 PM
could be a shot battery...
Also check for corrosion up your battery lines... and around terminals

motas
08-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Yer ended up scrubbing the terminals with some steel wool and that's what got it to start. Seems to be running fine now.
Thanks for your help.