View Full Version : Ignition Switch Actuator Pin - TJ

Fat Chili
13-08-2012, 12:15 AM
Has anyone had to replace their TJ's ignition switch actuator pin? Have a feeling that mine is capput; turn the key and she starts, release the key (take my hand of it) and the key won't stay in the start position and the engine dies, if I hold it in the right position it stays running until I let go. Other times it will just stay running.....pain the ass! If I drive it for about 10 -20 metres holding the key in place it tend to stay running; but not always?

After a bit of research it appears to be reasonably common on Chrysler's, all brands generally use the same ignition switch actuator pin.

If anyone has replaced there's how much did it cost, as this is the best I have found so far - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Jeep-Chrysler-Dodge-Ignition-Switch-Actuator-Pin-NEW-/350585912548?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51a08c7ce4

Here is an instructional video on how to remove and install the ignition switch actuator pin - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SKQpbn9Zjo

Jonny Jeep
13-08-2012, 01:47 AM
Never had to do it but that looks a good price. I think rockauto are similar price wise but their shipping would be more. Much cheaper than a breakers in the UK selling used ones on ebay for £144! (AU$ 213)

This ones a couple of dollars cheaper but states reconditioned so I'd stick with the one you found.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251043073467?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%3A80% 2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3907.m57 0.l1313%26_nkw%3D251043073467%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Id remove the ignition switch and see if it's broken and make sure the switch works off the column too before ordering but that's just me.

bonza
13-08-2012, 09:32 AM
dont know much about Jeep ignition switches as never have had to work on mine, but do you have many trinkets hanging off your key?

I know of one case where a certain female had a bunch of stuff on the key ring weighing a ton and it was distorting the switch and cutting out ignition.
dropped the vehicle off the garage to have it looked at and left the mecho a solitary ignition key it worked fine and couldnt be faulted. it was only determined when she went to start it at the garage with a pile of trinkets, good luck charms and general useless crap back on the keyring. it wouldnt start as it was then weighed it down enough to not make contact

Sontssonts
13-08-2012, 07:06 PM
Mine went randomly once and I was buggered to find what it was. I spent a week checking everything before taking it to get someone to look at it. Once I'd rattled off the list of what I'd checked they knew exactly what it was and it cost me 300 for the part and fitted.

Must have been all the hello kitty and butterfly key chains.....

Fat Chili
13-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Thanks for comparisons Jonny; yeah was going to pull it apart and check prior to ordering....You'd be due for a trip to AU by now wouldn't you? http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo198/Fat_Chili/Emoticons/boat.gif

dont know much about Jeep ignition switches as never have had to work on mine, but do you have many trinkets hanging off your key?

No trinkets, just the fuel key, an alloy house key and the key to the padlock that secures my boat....shouldn't be the issue in this case.

That said; ever since I bought the TJ new back in 2000 I have been able to remove the ignition key by pulling it straight out and the motor keeps running....no effort was ever required, have shown heaps of people in the past and none have been able to do it to theirs.....must be special TJ :wall:

rhysTJ
13-08-2012, 08:18 PM
No trinkets, just the fuel key, an alloy house key and the key to the padlock that secures my boat....shouldn't be the issue in this case.

That said; ever since I bought the TJ new back in 2000 I have been able to remove the ignition key by pulling it straight out and the motor keeps running....no effort was ever required, have shown heaps of people in the past and none have been able to do it to theirs.....must be special TJ :WALL:

MINE DOES IT TOO! :confused:

barknmad
14-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Hi. Replaced mine (2005 TJ) two weeks ago after several times not being able to start but no codes etc. Found a new aftermarket actuator from US on Amazon delivered for $60 with express post (3 days). I used the video as shown for guidance and it was pretty straightforward, (easier with a second pair of hands). Found the old one had not broken but showed some wear and replaced anyhow. So far no starting issues.

Tijno
05-01-2013, 07:14 PM
Hi. The same happened to me today I tried to start my TJ wrangler but nothing happened. Dash lights went on and everything but the starter motor did not turn. I called the NRMA (I thought I better put my member ship to good use) and they narrowed it down to the ignition switch. They gave me a card of an auto locksmith who I called then quoted me $650!!!!. After a bit of research I have found this thread and disassembled the ignition switch myself with the help of the instruction video. When I took out the actuator pin it came out in 2 pieces so I am now in the process of ordering a new actuator pin.

Thanks for this post and the link to the instruction video Fat Chilli. It saved me a lot of money.