View Full Version : Ironman 4x4, thoughts?

nath545
13-08-2012, 03:03 PM
I am looking at getting a 2" lift from the ironman 4x4 in strathpine (brissy) for the TJ.

Just wondering what opinions people had on their gear. (coils and shockies are my main concern at the moment)

Works out to be around $1000 with them doing the install. I would go bigger and better but like always...comes down to the monies.

Yay or nay?

brenttj
13-08-2012, 03:06 PM
dont!!!!!11

nath545
13-08-2012, 03:41 PM
lol that bad huh?

Suggestions good sir? :D

timbotrog
13-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Have a look for Dobinson's coils. You shouold be able to get a set for under $300 and they are great quality.
Then have a chat with Nick, (kolak@aol.com you will find him on jeepforum.com very highly respected.) about a set of Bilstein 5100 shocks to suit. Mine cost $340usd for the shocks plus $130usds freight. All up inclusding the exchange rate it was about $450aud for the shocks. The best quote I got in Australia for the 5100 shocks was $299 each plus freight of around $65aud.

So thats around $750aud at the most. Any 1/2 decent mechanic will do the install in under 2 hours. Most Bob Jane type places will do the install and an alignment for $250 easy. That's all quality parts at great prices that won't fail or sag after time. the shocks have a lifetime guarantee on them.
Then again if you have chassis stand and a trolley jack do it yourself in around 3 hours.

drover
13-08-2012, 04:20 PM
The shocks are hopeless, I had 4 failures in a couple of weeks so went back to OMEmu, Dobinson coils are good, I have always shied away from getting shocks from OS just in case I have to return a dud, makes for an expensive shocky.

C0xy
13-08-2012, 07:01 PM
I have the ironman kit in mine and honestly havent had a problem with it, but in saying that it is also incomplete you need to add a transfer case drop, rear trackarm bracket, bumpstops if your increasing tyre size and swaybar link extensions or disconnects for the front at least. dont bother with the ironman steering damper go for a better one i went through two before changing to a new one. and installing the shocks and springs is easy save your self the money for the rest.

rhysTJ
13-08-2012, 07:16 PM
mate i have this kit atm it's not a good option, the shocks are just not suited to a wranlger in any way thats just the beggining mate too.

i'll send you a PM with more info if you need it mate just let me know! :)

nath545
13-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Okie dokie. Thanks alot for the info/inputs.

Guess i will look into abit more and steer away from my usual impulse buying haha.

rhysTJ
13-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Okie dokie. Thanks alot for the info/inputs.

Guess i will look into abit more and steer away from my usual impulse buying haha.

your best bet is to stay with more "jeep specific company's" like RE and teraflex to name a couple... most of the vendors on here sell good gear, it is definitely worth giving them a call and seeing what they offer..