PDA

View Full Version : TJ gearbox

garth
21-09-2012, 09:34 PM
well, the unthinkable has happend, i have broken my jeep :(

had this anoying clicking sound everytime i would use the clutch, was told it was the throw out bearing, so imported a new one, and a new clutch pressure plate ect while at it, and swaped it all out. put back together, and bam, sound still there

the symptoms i have are:
hard to change gear from 1st to 2nd, i can go 1st to 3rd fine
has got some serious clunking noises comming from underneath region.
every time you push foot onto the clutch, it clicks on both in and out actions.

changed the oil, and it wasnt pretty, there were metal filings on the little magnet, and the oil was realy realy nasty.

so i got a feeling it is dead, so the question i have is.
roughly how much for a rebuild would i expect to pay for this gearbox
and can anyone recomend a good place in brisbane?

rhysTJ
21-09-2012, 09:57 PM
well, the unthinkable has happend, i have broken my jeep :(

had this anoying clicking sound everytime i would use the clutch, was told it was the throw out bearing, so imported a new one, and a new clutch pressure plate ect while at it, and swaped it all out. put back together, and bam, sound still there

the symptoms i have are:
hard to change gear from 1st to 2nd, i can go 1st to 3rd fine
has got some serious clunking noises comming from underneath region.
every time you push foot onto the clutch, it clicks on both in and out actions.

changed the oil, and it wasnt pretty, there were metal filings on the little magnet, and the oil was realy realy nasty.

so i got a feeling it is dead, so the question i have is.
roughly how much for a rebuild would i expect to pay for this gearbox
and can anyone recomend a good place in brisbane?

what year jeep?
or if you know what box you have even betteR?

garth
21-09-2012, 09:59 PM
what year jeep?
or if you know what box you have even betteR?

my bad, sorry, it's a 2005 tj jeep, 6sp manual, i would tell you what type of box i have, but i dont know, i assume they would all be the same type (dont shoot me, i come from a commodore back ground) and oh yes, the car has done a grand total of 85000 km,it's hardly been used.

rhysTJ
21-09-2012, 10:21 PM
my bad, sorry, it's a 2005 tj jeep, 6sp manual, i would tell you what type of box i have, but i dont know, i assume they would all be the same type (dont shoot me, i come from a commodore back ground) and oh yes, the car has done a grand total of 85000 km,it's hardly been used.

they are prone to failure the six speed box...

try to shop locally and you'll receive parts quicker and get better advice IMO
i used to import stuff alot but i just recently purchased from SBR offroad and will never import again.. Vic was just great!!

nope jeeps had three different box's in aus

best being the NV3550 which is a 5 speed which ran from roughly 00-04
2nd best but still a really solid platform was the ax-15 which ran up to 00
and then the six speed the worst unfortunately of the lot was the last couple of years!!

the transfer case was the same in all aus TJ's.

garth
22-09-2012, 07:55 AM
will the nv3550 bolt into the 05 tj? ill be buggered if im gonna put in a crappy 6 sp again.

Tallpieman
22-09-2012, 09:38 AM
Pull your 6 spd apart.... might be easy to fix, nothing to lose.... what oil were you running?

Wooders
22-09-2012, 10:14 AM
will the nv3550 bolt into the 05 tj? ill be buggered if im gonna put in a crappy 6 sp again.

Yes it will bolt up - we've had a few customers go from 6spd to 5spd.

bonza
22-09-2012, 12:52 PM
they are prone to failure the six speed box...

try to shop locally and you'll receive parts quicker and get better advice IMO
i used to import stuff alot but i just recently purchased from SBR offroad and will never import again.. Vic was just great!!

nope jeeps had three different box's in aus

best being the NV3550 which is a 5 speed which ran from roughly 00-04
2nd best but still a really solid platform was the ax-15 which ran up to 00
and then the six speed the worst unfortunately of the lot was the last couple of years!!

the transfer case was the same in all aus TJ's.

the six speed is used in the JK wranglers and some Mecedes commercial vehicles. they are mainly prone to failure for two reasons

a/ low on oil
b/ wrong oil

usually the wrong oil being most common. and that also goes with the ax-15. because the owner doesnt check to find out what type of oil should really go in there and rely on some marketing spin and tosh

rhysTJ
22-09-2012, 06:06 PM
the six speed is used in the JK wranglers and some Mecedes commercial vehicles. they are mainly prone to failure for two reasons

a/ low on oil
b/ wrong oil

usually the wrong oil being most common. and that also goes with the ax-15. because the owner doesnt check to find out what type of oil should really go in there and rely on some marketing spin and tosh

thats correct but they also dont have the reputation to hold to extreme offroading as well as the ax-15 or the new venture box...although the 6speed does have better ratios it would hold up to most with correct oil as bonza pointed out i beleive genuine oil is the go..?

i would think about bolting up a ax-15 before the new venture for the reason that new venture are now out of business as far as i know...

so parts are most probably easier to get for the ax-15, where as new venture parts may become hard to get...

wooders might chime and let you know if parts are easy to come by for the new venture box...??

Wooders
22-09-2012, 06:35 PM
AX-15 is easier for parts - and would be my pick.

garth
22-09-2012, 06:51 PM
it's due into a shop on either wensday or thursday, depending on my ability to get it there, once there ill know more, but im not a fan of the 6 sp, i mean it's only got 85000km on it, it's a baby, in gearbox terms it's not even broken in yet, so im just so surprised it's died so early.

as for the oil im not sure what type is in it, but i did replace it with a penrite oil, was the one that autobarn told me i needed, the oil change was only done on Thursday just past so it's not the wrong oil issue, thats when i saw the metal shavings on the little sump magnet. realized it wasnt just normal wear and tear, something has failed inside.

ive been looking threw the wooders website a little bit today, sure did see some cool little gadgets there, gonna see what they can do in regards to a new 5sp nv3550 or a good reconditioned one.

bonza
22-09-2012, 09:17 PM
fine metal shavings like iron filings on the magnetic plug is normal

and autobarn suggested Penrite. whacko

Tassie Jeeper
22-09-2012, 11:33 PM
gonna see what they can do in regards to a new 5sp nv3550 or a good reconditioned one.

let me know what u find out my nv3550 is trashed i know a bloke (skwake) on the forum got his ax15 rebuilt it cost him $3K

fine metal shavings like iron filings on the magnetic plug is normal

and autobarn suggested Penrite. whacko

penrite is one of their better oils they dont have a big range (specially in tassie)

rhysTJ
23-09-2012, 01:26 AM
penrite are generally good with their oils and if they dont have one to suit they will simply state refer to owners manual...

bonza
23-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Penrite is a marketing and label company.

they do not employ lube engineers, have test labs or manufacture oils. that is all outsourced. they design labels targeting a certain clientele to build up customer relationships with retailers like autobarn and have the oils made to recognised specs

thats not to say there is anything wrong with their oil, but they certainly do not have the tech resources like Fuchs or Mobil

TassieTJ
24-09-2012, 05:46 AM
AX-15 is easier for parts - and would be my pick.

and a bit stronger according to the novak site

Tassie Jeeper
24-09-2012, 02:19 PM
and a bit stronger according to the novak site

iv heard the opposite but heard the nv3550 synchros are not great

rhysTJ
24-09-2012, 02:27 PM
iv heard the opposite but heard the nv3550 synchros are not great

NV3550 being the best of the lot from all the research i done.
It has always been hard to shift from 1st to 2nd in even when they where new... gets easier as it warms up..

TassieTJ
24-09-2012, 02:54 PM
NV3550 being the best of the lot from all the research i done.
It has always been hard to shift from 1st to 2nd in even when they where new... gets easier as it warms up..

More info from http://www.novak-adapt.com/index.htm (http://www.novak-adapt.com/index.htm)

quotes from Novak below

"Summary
The AX15 is one of the good successes for Jeep transmissions. They are generally regarded as the best five-speed transmission ever installed into a Jeep. They are an excellent gearbox, and remain in production by Aisin-Warner as and are available new from Novak, new, in their most improved version."

"The 3550 has a fairly generous torqe transmitting capacity (for a transmission of its size) as claimed by it manufacturer. Experience would suggest that it is about the same strength as the AX15, though a small number of failures have been reported to us by our customers. These were probably situations involving extreme terrain or improper use of the overdrive gear"

either way there not a NSG 370 6 speed ! ;);)

Wakes
25-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Here you go:

$140 for a 5 speed. Brisbane

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118400

garth
02-10-2012, 06:20 PM
well, the verdict is :( it's dead,
word from 1 mechanic was nothing was wrong with it, took it to a few other places, a actual gearbox dude, and they all said the synchro's are dead, and the countershaft bearing is dying. so been in touch with a member here, and ill be picking up a ax-15 2nd hand for now to get it back on the road, then ill see what i can do with the current box in the car. the price i got so-far for the repairs on the box range from 2k upto 3.5k (2k if i took out the box) upto 3.5k if i gave them the car. so there ya go.