View Full Version : Foglight Switch / Relay wiring

n_dorphin
29-09-2012, 12:27 PM
Hi Guys,

I have factory rocker momentarty switch, and Relay and want to build it to trigger my driving lights. I already use a toggle switch but Want to use the factory switch and get rid of toggle.

Whats wires go to what???
What wire output of smart relay will trigger light relay?

Smart Relay (Green)
Green Wire -
Green / Yellow Wire -
Black Wire -
Black / White Wire -

Switch
Black Wire - Earth
Green / Yellow Wire - Relay same colour?
Black / White Wire - Relay same colour?
Orange Wire - Dimmer / Backlight

Please help. I tried reading a circuit diagram but couldnt understand it...

Cheers Jas

Jonny Jeep
12-10-2012, 05:22 AM
I don't know what year oyu are referring to as the wire colours don't match up to what's shown in the 98 and 00 FSMs I looked at. I looked at 05 too but there is no relay shown as the lights run straight from the switch.

Could the black/white be brown/white? That's the output from the relay that feeds the rear fog lamps and the fog lamp on bulb in the switch. If you put 12V where that wire goes, and ground where the black wire goes, and the fog lamp on light illuminates, then that's the one to use.

n_dorphin
16-10-2012, 08:08 AM
Do I use the illumination wire for switch to trigger the relay to power lights? I would have thought there would be a separate wire out from relay... Thanks Jas

Clarky
16-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Hi Guys,

I have factory rocker momentarty switch, and Relay and want to build it to trigger my driving lights. I already use a toggle switch but Want to use the factory switch and get rid of toggle.

Whats wires go to what???
What wire output of smart relay will trigger light relay?

Smart Relay (Green)
Green Wire -
Green / Yellow Wire -
Black Wire -
Black / White Wire -

Switch
Black Wire - Earth
Green / Yellow Wire - Relay same colour?
Black / White Wire - Relay same colour?
Orange Wire - Dimmer / Backlight

Please help. I tried reading a circuit diagram but couldnt understand it...

Cheers Jas

To make a “momentary” switch work in a “latched” 12 volt supply with no electronics follow this diagram, simple.:hammer:
No it really is simple, just build it on the work bench and mount it where ever you have space (dry location) and connect the 12 volt output of your relay bank to the existing driving light relay and use an ignition switched 12 volt supply as the constant supply so the relays power down when turn the ignition off.
Don't forget to ground the relay bank.

Image from http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp