PDA

View Full Version : sub box

sssboi
13-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Hey,

Anyone know where I can pick up a 12" sub box to fit in a TJ boot whilst still preserving some space, in Perth?

thirsty_TJ
13-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Not exactly the answer you asked for but for my old single cab ute my mate and I made a custom box out of MDF for a 10inch sub. All we needed was the volume air amount that the sub needed then you can make your dimensions to suit. Mine isn't carpeted as it was hidden but you only need to cut and staple the carpet to the box.
Not sure if that is of any help. Still have the sub and box which convinently fits behind the back seat of my tj so can take a photo for you if like.

wes
13-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Again, a 10" - this is an all inclusive enclosure made by FUSION.
Got mine from Auto One but Repco sell them too and both places have them on special from time to time.
Mounted in the back of the TJ. It's a tight fit with the rear seat in the upright position.
So tight, I'm not sure if it will fit later models with the vent in the tailgate.
(The rub marks on the straps are from the tailgate.)

My back seat is out but it fits with the back seat in... just.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=57434&d=1350121132

Amp in one end...
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=57435&d=1350121215

Sub in the other end.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=57436&d=1350121301

Tuffeb
13-10-2012, 07:46 PM
I coukd build you one but I'm in vic :(

bobby dazzla
14-10-2012, 09:56 PM
Found this under seat sub box on jeep forum (another forum I know but some good stuff there) means tearing foam out of the rear seat and building a box in it. The seat is still functional and you loose no boot space at all.

Looks like a winner if you are ok on the tools.

His website is www.sirgcal.com and you can find a decent write up

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/froesener/Seat%20speaker/speaker.jpg

sssboi
17-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the help guys, DNA sell a 10" sub box (purchased brand new from cash converters) which I cut wider to fit the 12" sub. Its a perfect fit in terms of depth however I don't know if it provides the adequate volume.

Is there any problem with putting a sub into a box too small?

EDIT: Will put some pics up sometime soon

thirsty_TJ
17-10-2012, 08:10 PM
If it's a sealed unit I would imagine you would need the correct volume but if it has hole in it to allow air to move out of the box it may not be as much of an issue. I'm not an expert on this tho so may be worth your while stopping by a car stereo place just to double check as I'm only going off past experience with my own stereo :)

sssboi
17-10-2012, 09:29 PM
Does anyone know for sure about minimum sealed sub boxes? If this is the case, I'll make a port for it asap!!

Rosie
18-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Most companies make Slimline subs to run on limited space and the technology has really improved over the last few years. Pioneer, Alpine, Rockford Fosgate and Kenwood all make good ones.

Mine is in my centre console in a 16L box I made.

dave4x4
21-10-2012, 08:20 PM
I'm pretty sure sealed boxes don't matter on size because there is no air movement from inside to outside the box ( as long as the sub is not touching it)
But what ever you do do not I repeat DO NOT cut a port into a box that is not designed to be a ported box it will sound like absolute garbage and you won't be happy with yourself or the sub (I'm talking from experience here) before my jeep I had a commodore with 2 x 15" subs pushing out just a smudge over 145 db

Rosie
21-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Volume is important on sealed boxes, the subs rely on the compression of the air to cushion the driver and push it back out. You can get away with a smaller box sometimes by running more power through the sub and some people experiment with running the driver in reverse polarity too.

sssboi
22-10-2012, 08:46 PM
calculated the minimum volume and cleared it by about 5-10L cant remember the exact number. so all should be fine. really pleased with the setup however almost all the boot has been lost.

thirsty_TJ
22-10-2012, 09:04 PM
That's good for the sub then at least you won't blow it out. Shame about the boot but there isnt much to loose. I have set my 10" sub box up so I can take it in and out pretty easily which is good if you go on a descent trip and need the space. This thread has got me thinking about the rest of the stereo now. Some of the other wrangler forums googled up some 4x6inch splits that fit in the dash so may try them out and will post up if they are any good.

bobby dazzla
27-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Yep I have just received a set of polk 6x4's will post up how they go during the week. they had good reviews from what I read.

Rosie any pictures of your 16L center console and did you run into to many problems building it ? I am just about to build one for an 8" for a tuffy console and and sure it's going to be a PITA

also on a side note found a cool site that has an amp mount that secures the amp out of sight under the steering wheel column.

www.skinnypedal.net

thirsty_TJ
02-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Finally installed the pioneer 4x6s into the front dash. Had to drill some new holes with a 1/8 bit to suit and cable tie one corner as standard mount had no where to put another screw :) sound wise tho they are an improvement on the standard speakers but don't expect them to be bass pumping by any means. Also installed a new orion 10" sub and sound is great so far. This weekend will be installing some 6" 3 ways into the sound bar so will post how it all turns out.

thirsty_TJ
04-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Ok just capping off last reply... Pioneer 6" 3ways and the 4x6" with new sub sound great. Running off old pioneer amp ATM tho which seems to not like new sub so will be getting new amp soon to run 6" and sub. If people are upgrading their own stereo tho it's something I would almost recommend :) just don't run new speakers and old amp from what I can tell :)
Sorry too change thread slightly sssboi hope your system is sounding good now tho. Sent me on a bit of a spending spree lol :) once I carpet sub box it will also look tops too.

sssboi
09-11-2012, 07:39 PM
Finally installed the pioneer 4x6s into the front dash. Had to drill some new holes with a 1/8 bit to suit and cable tie one corner as standard mount had no where to put another screw :) sound wise tho they are an improvement on the standard speakers but don't expect them to be bass pumping by any means. Also installed a new orion 10" sub and sound is great so far. This weekend will be installing some 6" 3 ways into the sound bar so will post how it all turns out.

thirsty_TJ What 6x4 speakers did you buy and how much were they? do they bolt straight on, if not are there any models that would just bolt straight on? I'm considering adding a pair of these if I could plug and play them. Do they offer mid range sound? I feel thats what my system is lacking.

P.S. post some pics, I'm yet to get around to posting mine!

thirsty_TJ
10-11-2012, 11:13 PM
Hey sssboi I bought the pioneer 2way 4x6 inch speakers. And had to do a little modification to install them by drilling some new holes into the existing speaker housing and cable tie one corner as there was no where to screw but very easy to do and only took half hr or so. Sound is ok but more higher and and minimal mid range. Kinda like having a great tweeter up front if you have ever run splits before. I will get some picks up tomorrow if I can. They were $80 on eBay from Melbourne with free delivery.

Tuffeb
11-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Ok car audio is my speciality I do comps in my falcon

Best advice I can give you is this

A good quality sub will sound terrible in the wrong size box

I cheap quality sub will sound great in the correct size box

Research your model number and measure the box correctly make sure it's with in less then half a square foot smaller or bigger then factory specs

Box size is THE most important part of subwoofers sounding good

Also match the RMS watts rating of the sub to your RMS rating of the amp
Don't go by MAX wattage