PDA

View Full Version : Random Start Issue...

Jaymz
17-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Hey guys I have a 97/98 post update XJ.

I will go and start it first thing in the morning and it usually starts good and runs fine all the way to work (approx 5kms) Then when I go out on my lunch break (about 4 hours later) it seems to crank a lot longer than normal, and finally coughs and splutters to life when i tap the accelerater a few times. When i go out to start it after work (approx 4 hours again) it usually starts fine.

This morning though it felt like it was running on 5 cylinders as soon as I started it but after a minute of so of driving it came good and felt normal again.

In the past 12 months I have changed spark plugs (champion), Leads (Top Gun), commodore injectors, and air filter (ryco). I have a couple new o2 sensers here that I am about to put in, but just wondering if anyone has any ideas about the weird start issue?

I have run a scan for codes and only got one for the fuel guage sensor, Its always read empty after it gets below half a tank.

Dustbowl
17-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Hey guys I have a 97/98 post update XJ.

I will go and start it first thing in the morning and it usually starts good and runs fine all the way to work (approx 5kms) Then when I go out on my lunch break (about 4 hours later) it seems to crank a lot longer than normal, and finally coughs and splutters to life when i tap the accelerater a few times. When i go out to start it after work (approx 4 hours again) it usually starts fine.

This morning though it felt like it was running on 5 cylinders as soon as I started it but after a minute of so of driving it came good and felt normal again.

In the past 12 months I have changed spark plugs (champion), Leads (Top Gun), commodore injectors, and air filter (ryco). I have a couple new o2 sensers here that I am about to put in, but just wondering if anyone has any ideas about the weird start issue?

I have run a scan for codes and only got one for the fuel guage sensor, Its always read empty after it gets below half a tank.

Ummm, I'd look into seeing what the TPS is doing, otherwise those commodore injectors are notorious for their 50,000 km life span :p

Jaymz
17-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Thanks Dustbowl. Just did some reading around on symptoms of a failing TPS and sounds very familar to issues I am having. I have placed a new one on my shopping list for rockauto...

If anyone else has any opinions that'd be great.

Cheers.

mato
17-10-2012, 10:04 PM
check fuel pump pressure and flow
and also fuel pressure regulator. if it leaks all the fuel can drain out back to the tank
an easy way to check is next your next lunch brake turn the key but don't start let the fuel pump prime up switch it off and do the same and then try to start. if it dose the same it is not the pressure reg

Jaymz
15-11-2012, 07:41 AM
Haven't had a chance to do anything about this yet. But I did manage to get a scan on my OBD II port. Came up with P1491, P0545, P0443, P0700, P0463, and P0705. Looks like my girls not happy about something :-(