PDA

View Full Version : One of those bloody sounds... - HELP!

Ra
17-10-2012, 02:04 PM
So my rig is well looked after 2000 TJ with around 240,000 clicks on it.

Started to make this noise about 4 months ago.

- Only start to hear it after about 15-20 mins of driving
- Occurs whether jeep is in gear or neutral (5spd manual gearbox) and at all speeds.
- Had my front drive-shaft uni's replaced last week, noise still there.
- One thing to note although not sure if it's related, is I find it difficult to engage first gear when stationary, all other gears are super-smooth, and can easily engage first from another gear.
- Only makes noise when moving, no noise when stationary.

Please refer to the sound file below and listen out for the squeaky sounds. If anyone at all can offer advice on what the hell this sound is, it would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.tuniphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/jeepNoise.mp3

Jeepsta
17-10-2012, 02:52 PM
So my rig is well looked after 2001 TJ with around 240 clicks on it.

Started to make this noise about 4 months ago.

- Only start to hear it after about 15-20 mins of driving
- Occurs whether jeep is in gear or neutral (5spd manual gearbox) and at all speeds.
- Had my front drive-shaft uni's replaced last week, noise still there.
- One thing to note although not sure if it's related, is I find it difficult to engage first gear when stationary, all other gears are super-smooth, and can easily engage first from another gear.

Please refer to the sound file below and listen out for the squeaky sounds. If anyone at all can offer advice on what the hell this sound is, it would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.tuniphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/jeepNoise.mp3

I got something similar lol... only happens during summer. :)

bonza
17-10-2012, 04:20 PM
try these steps as maybe clutch or transmission related

1. Start your car, set the parking break, and put the car in neutral.

2. With your car idling, listen for a growling noise without pushing the clutch in. If you hear something, it's most likely a problem with the transmission. If you don't hear a noise, proceed to step three.

3. With the car still in neutral, begin to push the clutch and listen for noise. If you hear a chirping noise as you press, it's most likely the clutch release, or throw-out bearing. If you don't hear a noise, proceed to step four.

4. Push the clutch all the way to the floor. If you hear a squealing noise, it's probably the pilot bearing or bushing.

If you don't hear any noise during these four steps, then your problem is probably not the clutch. If you hear the noise at idle and it goes away when the clutch is pressed, it may be an issue in the contact point between the fork and pivot ball.

after coming back from the bush the other day I too had a strange squeal noise that had me beat. eventually found a stone lodged between the front brake disc and the stone guard

justjeeps
19-10-2012, 04:11 PM
every tj with a nv3550 trans has some type of noise just some worse then others. they are a strong gearbox trust me ;-)

garth
21-10-2012, 03:56 AM
i had that exact same noise, ended up greeasing the upper ball joint on drivers side,and bingo, noise gone. that is a squeek like i need oil type squeek.

Ra
22-10-2012, 12:18 PM
@ Garth: So would this only occur once the vehicle/components reach temperature?

As I don't notice any noise until about 15 mins into the drive or the vehicle is already had normal operational temperature.