PDA

View Full Version : Less than half a tank = push to next garage

oestreich
17-10-2012, 08:42 PM
If I wouldn't love that blimming car so much I'd just drive it into the next lake ...

It doesn't start intermittendly; of course it only fails when I'm in a hurry. At least that's what I thought. Took us quite a while to figure out:

- it only misbehaves when the diesel tank is less than half full

- once it's running it'll run sweet as ...

- the longer it's been standing around(day or 2) the more likely we'll walk

Ok it will have to do with the fuel system but honestly I don't have a clue where to start....

Sure someoneout there will reply "easy, no worries ... 10min job" -- that's exactly the person I'm looking for becaus eotherwise .. I hate to repeat myself but that lake round the corner looks just about deep enough! :mad:

Thomas

Raisins78
17-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Im no expert, but does the Diesel have an intank pump like the petrol? It may be either a pump dying (Ive seen the same thing, when full it keeps the pump cool as its fully submerged, as it empties the pump over heats and stops or stops/starts.)
Is there a small hose/tube/pick up off the bottom of the pump that may have fallen off?
meaning it may not reach the bottom half of the tank?
Id google some diesel pump info, and if it is an "in tank" one, wait till your tank is low, rip it out and have a look, or just replace it for safe measure. (petrol ones are $100 or so)
If its an inline external or mechanical diesel pump.....then maybe the tank pickup tube is cracked (sucking air and fuel) or fallen off (same issue as above)
Its the only thing I can think of that relates to a half tank or lower problem....
Either way, id say you will be delving into your fuel tank lol.
Its not that big of a job, maybe an hour or two from start to finish

mato
17-10-2012, 09:50 PM
ok is it cranking and not starting at all? and how much longer than normal dose it crank for before it starts? and have you checked the battery a low voltage may be playing silly buggers
easy way to tell is let it sit a day. put it on charge for a day and try and start it ?? worth a go

mato
17-10-2012, 09:51 PM
oh and most in tank pumps will just stop working 9 times out of 10

Raisins78
17-10-2012, 11:05 PM
oh and most in tank pumps will just stop working 9 times out of 10
true, but I have seen them do the above when they were close to just failing....

anthonygubbin
17-10-2012, 11:28 PM
I thought the desiels had an injector pump....? Not an in tank one...?

Regards A

oestreich
18-10-2012, 04:18 AM
The battery is brand new and it cranks for hours if necessary. Also it's running top notch once I have it running. Just seems not to get diesel 1st thing.

If a pump was broken wouldn't the car not get fuel at all?

Could it be air getting into the system somehow? Is the diesel engine based on vacuum?

Raisins78
18-10-2012, 04:27 PM
If its a mechanical pump (bolted to the engine) then you may be getting air in at the filter etc. but since it only happens at half a tank or lower, I'd still be betting on the in tank pick up

bruggz351
18-10-2012, 05:43 PM
I thought the desiels had an injector pump....? Not an in tank one...?

Regards A
I dunno about the XJ, but a lot of diesels have a pick up pump in the tank to supply the injector pump.

cheers

sfedek
18-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Sounds like your intank pickup is blocked. Happened to me twice with two different XJ Diesels.
Whats happening is in the pick assembly we have two strainers. 1 inside the pickup & 1 outside. The out side one is blocked so it tries to use the fuel coming back from the return which is deposited into the centre on the pickup. (its a cylinder) Once that fuel inside the pickup is gone you stop.
If you have a full tank then some fuel splashed into the cylinder & your ok. When you get to low for alot of splash around your not ok.
When the strainers are clean all is good.
I could not get this build up of crap to easily budge. I use a product called 'shift it' Its a cleaning product available from your local supa cheap.
Pour it in & let it soak.
You will need to pull it apart which can be hard. If you break something your are stuffed. Check the thread link here;
mehttp://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117476
If you want more info ring
Eddy 0407074085

The Smiths
18-10-2012, 07:10 PM
no intank pump.

check the injector sill off pipes, and the end plug.

Could be slow leak letting air in and draining back

also this is very cheap and easy to do - so try it first

oestreich
19-10-2012, 05:45 AM
no intank pump.

check the injector sill off pipes, and the end plug.

Could be slow leak letting air in and draining back

also this is very cheap and easy to do - so try it first

...That's an interesting point, Smith, because the sill of pipes were exchanged by the AA some weeks ago since one came off and diesel was spilling everywhere.

Sure he didn't change the plug and he also didn't bleed either. Would that have been necessary???

Guys, good responses + thanks for that. I'm sure we're getting there :-)

oestreich
19-10-2012, 05:54 AM
Sounds like your intank pickup is blocked. Happened to me twice with two different XJ Diesels.
Whats happening is in the pick assembly we have two strainers. 1 inside the pickup & 1 outside. The out side one is blocked so it tries to use the fuel coming back from the return which is deposited into the centre on the pickup. (its a cylinder) Once that fuel inside the pickup is gone you stop.
If you have a full tank then some fuel splashed into the cylinder & your ok. When you get to low for alot of splash around your not ok.
When the strainers are clean all is good.
I could not get this build up of crap to easily budge. I use a product called 'shift it' Its a cleaning product available from your local supa cheap.
Pour it in & let it soak.
You will need to pull it apart which can be hard. If you break something your are stuffed. Check the thread link here;
mehttp://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117476
If you want more info ring
Eddy 0407074085

Eddy, that's interesting as well since wife complained the other day that she started with quarter of a tank and ended close to empty-empty 50km along the road ... old car and 190.000km of NZ crap diesel ... will go for it!

mud_slut
19-10-2012, 09:57 AM
my diesel does the same at about 1/8 of a tank to go. do you still get roughly 700+ ks of diesel before she does it...when it first happened i thought i had bought a lemon as it broke down on the hwy, got some diesel and she started straight away, wouldn't want to risk it too many times as all the gunk in the bottom of the tank could break the pump.

i just assumed my gauge was inaccurate and always carry diesel in the car with me for emergencies.

jeepboy91
19-10-2012, 10:12 AM
check to see how stuffed the hand primer is once the rubber blows they leak pretty bad failing that fit an inline fuel pump