PDA

View Full Version : Another headlight/switch thread.....

kario
21-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Hey guys,

I've looked through 15 pages of search results but can't seem to find an issue quite like mine.

I haven't had a chance to check a few things I've read today like checking various connectors, but here's my problem:

One time, getting into the XJ at night, I pulled my light switch and no headlights, no parkers, no dash, no low, no high (tail lighrts and indicators ok all round). Did some reading and decided I had a switch issue and ordered a switch from Rockauto.

When installing the new switch, while pushing the rod back into place, I heard a loud arc just as it clipped into place. What happens now is, as I pull the rod out, the parkers and dash lights will flash on just before the rod clicks into the parker position, same if I pull further out to low beam position...the parkers will flash and then go out again as the rod clicks into normal position. No low beams. If I pull and hold the high beam switch, the high beams will work.....then go out again when i let go of the lever. I can carefully push/pull the rod and get it to stop at the point where the parkers stay on, but it's not in the correct position.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

junglejuice
21-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Are you running the stock sized headlights ie 60/55's, if you're running higher powered bulbs it could be causing an issue, of course the issue could be a faulty switch, just because it was new doesn't mean it is good.

Try unplugging the headlights and see if it still makes a noise.

I have a few tested headlight switches here if you need one...

Cheers, JJ

bruggz351
21-10-2012, 06:15 PM
I had a similar issue and it turned out to be the fuse under the dash...:hammer:

junglejuice
21-10-2012, 06:56 PM
I had a similar issue and it turned out to be the fuse under the dash...:hammer:

You wouldn't have that issue now that you have one of my looms fitted....

JJ

bruggz351
21-10-2012, 07:43 PM
You wouldn't have that issue now that you have one of my looms fitted....

JJ
;)
too true:cool:

Billnick
22-10-2012, 07:39 AM
Did some reading and decided I had a switch issue and ordered a switch from Rockauto.

IIRC isn't there a problem with USA LHD light switches?? I recall somebody else saying they were different.

kario
22-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Thanks JJ.

Yer, stock light bulbs.

Didn't get time to look at it today.

Jaymz
22-10-2012, 10:37 PM
I bought a switch off rock auto for my 98 update and it did some really weird things. I got another switch from a wreck off these forums and was all good. From memory mine was beeping all the time like I had the switch turned on after the keys were removed but it was actually turned off.

kario
03-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Got to have another quick look yesterday.

Checked the loom connector at the left headlight, was all cruddy and oxidised...cleaned that up and reconnected, no difference. Went through all my fuses again and found a fuse (#15 I think 15A) blown (I was sure I had checked properly the first time, so there's a lesson there), so I replaced that, and that got the switch working right.....ie the parkers stay on at the parker position, as opposed to before where they would come on just before and then go out again at the correct position. This raised my hopes, had me replacing headlight bulbs, but still, no headlights. (also noticed that the rear fog lights aren't working, so assume they are on the same circuit).

I ran out of time, so just stuck my hand under the dash and wiggled around and squeezed together any connectors I could feel. This morning, I jump in and head off to work and notice that my speedo and tacho aren't working (although my scan-gauge speedo and tacho are working), my oil pressure gauge is showing just under half way (when usually it shows just over half way). It was wet on the road, so I turned on full-time 4wd and the FT4WD indicator light did not come on (??????).....something I did under the dash??? weird

I did fail to mention on my original post that when I replaced the headlight switch, I noticed that the plastic on the connector around two of the pins was a little heat stressed (slightly melted), I checked this by pulling the wires and the actual connectors where in place firmly and 'appeared' as if they would still make a solid connection.

At this stage, all I can think of is to make up nine 'extension' cables and connect them all individually from the switch to the connector making sure the connection into the connector is good and trying that.

Any other thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

kario
13-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Finally worked this one out.

Got back under the dash with a test light and diagrams and noticed that the connector has been hacked in the past. Somewhere along the line someone has wired in a relay prior to the connector just to bypass the power from the connector/switch....using all existing cabling....except the earth, which had come off, causing my grief.