PDA

View Full Version : New to this site. Has anyone else had problems with a XJ 1995 Cherokee?

dontholdback
23-10-2012, 07:11 PM
I have put a bearing kit and shim kit in my rear diff and it was ok driving around on road, Every time i go off road the centre keeps locking up and driving both wheels?! and making a roaring noise?
Ive been looking for a new diff or does anyone know if there is anyway i can fix my current one? I cant find any problem with it?

The Smiths
23-10-2012, 07:25 PM
I have put a bearing kit and shim kit in my rear diff and it was ok driving around on road, Every time i go off road the centre keeps locking up and driving both wheels?! and making a roaring noise?
Ive been looking for a new diff or does anyone know if there is anyway i can fix my current one? I cant find any problem with it?

sounds like you have working limited slip diff (LSD) - apart from the roaring

rainman
23-10-2012, 07:36 PM
do you have LSD oil in it, and or normal diff oil with the lsd additive?

jeepboy91
23-10-2012, 07:37 PM
mine does that minus the roaring gotta admit i like the offroad capability but im sick of sliding sideways on tight obstacles... see if the noise goes away after a little while it could just be everything finding its place

junglejuice
23-10-2012, 07:42 PM
Where abouts are you located?

Welcome to the forum by the way...

GawdZillA
27-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Has anyone else had problems with a XJ 1995 Cherokee? - 1st place winner of 'Understatement of the Year'

hehehe :3 welcome to the XJ owners part of the forums, where if your not fixing it, or it hasn't broken, you haven't had enough fun in it.

Roaring sounds interesting, could be a number of things... is it occurring only in 4wd? forwards/backwards or both? does the roar come from the front or the rear of the car?

You will need to check if the car is working mostly pre or post update, this will help with parts...

braith7
28-10-2012, 10:40 PM
Im far from an expert but something that may be dumb enough for me to think of might be too obvious for the others to think of...

So its all good in 2wd on the road, but when you go off road and change to 4wd things lock up and the noise starts?

I know mine struggles to get past the part time 4wd setting (orange) down to the full time setting (green) without me doing a little dance with the gears and rolling back and forth etc - the locking up and noise could be a sign you're getting stuck in part time too?

Way too obvious? If not, read on. If yes, ignore this and have a moan about newbies piping up when they should keep their un-knowing mouth shut :)

Other makes refer to Part Time and Full Time differently to Jeeps which can lead to confusion - In a Jeep Part Time means you'd only use it Part Time and Full Time means you can drive around with it on all the Time - not Part Time as in you can drive around in it all the time and it will activate when necessary, or Full Time as in constantly in 4wd. Lets not go into which is right, just understand that Jeep does it the first way. Unless you're in really slippery loose stuff, Part Time will make your wheels grip and slip and grunt and pop - especially when trying to turn (if you get stuck in Part Time 4wd on the road - try not to do any turning :) ).

Way too obvious?

junglejuice
29-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Good point, it could simply be the adjustment on the selector for the t/case, these need adjustment over time due to the rear mount sagging....