PDA

View Full Version : 31x10.5R15 on new rims...will they fit?

Raisins78
23-10-2012, 09:09 PM
So here is the dilemma....
I'll start from the start......

Me and the family are taking a month or so off over the Christmas school holidays. We will be driving from WA (the pilbara area) to Newcastle NSW via the Nullabor. We are hanging around a week then scooting off to Darwin. Hanging around for a week or two, then back home.
All with stops along the way.
My 1995 XJ is beeing prepped for the long drive, and I'm basically up to tyres.

My original Plan was to pre order wheels and tyres in Newcastle, and fit them along with my new Bushwacker cut out flares (Which I have already ordered and are being sent to Newcastle)
I rang the only Pro Comp distributer in Newcastle to get a price and order the rims and tyres, to make sure they will be there by Jan 2013.....and here is where the story gets interesting!
The person on the other end of the phone took my details and then began to "price them up" She put the phone down, but did not mute me lol. this is what I heard as she called for the boss to double check the prices....

Lady - "Is this correct?"
Boss - "What do they cost us?"
Lady - "The rims cost $78, the Tyres cost $229"
Boss - "Sell the rims at $175 ea, and the tyres at $329"

She then adds it all up and gives me my price of $2520 for 5, fitted and balanced.

Now if I didn't hear this, I would have just payed for them then and there...most likely.
So I thought I would ring a Perth shop to compare..
$2050 plus $150 freight to my Desert Location....

So, Im now considering either, ringing them back, and asking for a better price, possibly telling them what I heard, or paying the extra $320 so they are in Newcastle WITH my flares, or Buying from Perth, shipping them up and bolting them on before we leave.

The tyres That are on it are ok (Kuhmo AT's 235/75/15's) on the stock rims, so will be fine from here to Newcastle.

The rims im ordering are 15x8 with 4.5 inch backspace, 31x10.5R15 Xtreme AT' tyres, and with the flares requiring 2-3inches of metal to be removed, should fit fine.

I currently have 2 inch spring spacers on it, as per previous owner (Its a sport too)

If I buy them from perth, will they fit with the stock flares (not rub) and the current suspension (Getting a 4.5inch lift soon, probably after the trip)?
How far out will they stick out from the stock flares? (The new flares are 5 inch wider or 8 inch total flares)

This set of tyres will be my AT set for highway and touring off road, and I will later get a set of 32-33 inch Muddies for local fun...but ill chose them once the suspension is done.

Also, we will be doing 99% highway, not much if any offroading during the trip as I cant afford to break an axle etc unless im in Newcastle or Darwin and can order parts while we are there.

So should I order from Perth and fit before we leave, or save 6000km's of wear, order from Newcastle and fit the flares the same day?

Dustbowl
23-10-2012, 09:20 PM
They Fit stock!! You will rub your control arms in tight turns though, and rub ander heavy articulation, but it's still very runnable.
That price is paying out the nose, they can do better!
And unless your going off road, get your tyres in newcastle, but seriously, I bought my mud terrains last week and paid $940 balanced, how could rims cost $1400??
Shop around, there's much, much better deals around.

Raisins78
23-10-2012, 09:28 PM
They Fit stock!! You will rub your control arms in tight turns though, and rub ander heavy articulation, but it's still very runnable.
That price is paying out the nose, they can do better!
And unless your going off road, get your tyres in newcastle, but seriously, I bought my mud terrains last week and paid $940 balanced, how could rims cost $1400??
Shop around, there's much, much better deals around.

will they still rub with the bigger offset (Stock is 3.75 inch BS, new ones are 4.5 inch....)
I really like the look of the Pro Comp 52 rims, and have decided on the pro comp Extreme AT's due to wanting a fairly chunky AT...was between Cooper STMaxx's and these really, as I dont like the BFG AT's (had them before) and the last set of Dick Cepeks FCII's are very hard to get, and cost more (As do the coopers)

Raisins78
23-10-2012, 09:30 PM
Also, i trust Newcastle to provide a shop that can do good wheel alignments, rather than here where I am (Would hate to scrub out a new set of tyres lol. though it is wearing fine at the moment)

kj69
24-10-2012, 12:22 AM
i think 8 inch rims are a tad big for 31`s ,the stock rims u have are a good fit and a shit load cheaper .

Raisins78
24-10-2012, 07:55 AM
but they look like ass (Stock rims) lol
31x10.5R15's are recommended for 7-9 inch wide rims according to most manufacturers...

Dustbowl
24-10-2012, 08:42 AM
Also, i trust Newcastle to provide a shop that can do good wheel alignments, rather than here where I am (Would hate to scrub out a new set of tyres lol. though it is wearing fine at the moment)

I can name 10 good tyre places here on newy off the top of my head, not to mention the bad ones :p
They should fit fine with backspaced rims,
Just thinking about trading control arm rub for guard rub, if it will or not, either way, she will still roll fine
and I don't think you'll have a worry with that width, the blokes at the tyre shop will know for sure.

junglejuice
25-10-2012, 05:12 PM
will they still rub with the bigger offset (Stock is 3.75 inch BS, new ones are 4.5 inch....)
I really like the look of the Pro Comp 52 rims, and have decided on the pro comp Extreme AT's due to wanting a fairly chunky AT...was between Cooper STMaxx's and these really, as I dont like the BFG AT's (had them before) and the last set of Dick Cepeks FCII's are very hard to get, and cost more (As do the coopers)

Stock is 5.25" not 3.75", 31's on a wider less BS rim WILL rub on your guards with such a small lift and you most likely will have it loaded which will make it worse.

This is mine with 3" in the rear and just shy of 2" in the front with 31's...

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x451/junglejuice72/10042012140_resize-1.jpg

On stock offset rims you have a chance of them tucking inside the guards a little on flex, on compression forget it so with less BS rims it will be worse....

Raisins78
25-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Stock is 5.25" not 3.75", 31's on a wider less BS rim WILL rub on your guards with such a small lift and you most likely will have it loaded which will make it worse.

This is mine with 3" in the rear and just shy of 2" in the front with 31's...

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x451/junglejuice72/10042012140_resize-1.jpg

On stock offset rims you have a chance of them tucking inside the guards a little on flex, on compression forget it so with less BS rims it will be worse....

So i should wait until Newcastle, cut the guards out for the flares, then fit them.......I wont be flexing anyway, just highway from west to east.

BillabongXJ
27-10-2012, 10:15 AM
my jeeps about a 2" lift and i fitted a 31 on stock rims and found it rubbed on the control arm. so i bought 4 15"x7" rims with a 4" backspacing and that will have solved the clearance issue. im using maxis bighorn 31" tyres and might get some flare rubbing but haven't actually had it out on the track yet so dont know for sure. still its a better alternative to rubbing on the control arms. i noticed the wheels sticking out another 1.25" is pushing the legality of the stock flares. but luckily the tuck in far enough. to solve the tyre clearance on the flares i intend to pack the bumpstops up a little. problem there is nobody sells ice hockey pucks in australia??? :/

Raisins78
02-11-2012, 11:55 PM
OK, so I am getting the flares sent here to WA (long story) and am now having trouble with getting the rims and tyres (Pro comp stock is very low apparently)
I have been offered a set of rims and tyres in 15x8, XJ stud pattern, but 3.75 inch backspacing.
I read alot of people say 4.5 inch BS is the one to get....
Will the 3.75inch BS be too much (with Bushwacker cut out flares) and hang out the sides?
Its a fantastic deal, but if they wont fit, I wont waste my money.....
Hopefully someone here can tell me before the weekend is over.....

Also, after the round Oz highway trip, I am fitting a Skyjacker 4.5 inch lift with SYE, disconnects, all new draglink, tierod control arms, full leaves (not add-a-leaves) ($2600 delivered)
If the 3.75 offset fits under the guards, will that lift be enough to stop most rubbing on flex? maybe with a bump stop change?
This has been a bigger ordeal than trying to find a RHD steering box lol.....

Mitch
03-11-2012, 05:15 AM
I put pre AU ford alloys on my XJ bout a year ago.Cost $25 each from a scrapyard,honed out the centres myself and now have a proper turning circle and a 1 inch wider track,too easy.Plenty of decent tyre shops here in Newcastle.3.75,s stuck out past my stock guards by 1 inch without a tyre on so are prolly not a good idea.

Jaymz
03-11-2012, 07:16 AM
I'm running black steelies from wooders, 3.75 backspace and 31x10.5 muddies. I have bushwacker flat flares and the rims and tyres line up perfect with the edge of the flare. You will need to bump stop to stop the tyre rubbing the flare on flex though.

Edit: mine are 15x8 too...

Raisins78
03-11-2012, 01:20 PM
I'm running black steelies from wooders, 3.75 backspace and 31x10.5 muddies. I have bushwacker flat flares and the rims and tyres line up perfect with the edge of the flare. You will need to bump stop to stop the tyre rubbing the flare on flex though.

Edit: mine are 15x8 too...

Sounds good. Hopefully the bushwacker cut out flares are as wide as the flat ones then. I'm definitely getting these rims now.
It's a set of 5. American racing AW23's in 15x8 (3.75 BS)
With a set of 31x10.5r15 KM2's....all brand new.
....for $1800!