PDA

View Full Version : Loud knock when turning

Bennyjeepster
26-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Hi fellas! I have a 96 xj sport that makes a very loud knock when I turn corners. Right now I have no idea what it is but its too loud to ingore (i can sometimes feel it through the floor). I've had a mechanic mate do a brief check but we cant seem to pin point the source of the knock. The car is stock as far as i know. Any help, suggestions and assistance would be awesome!

Cheers, Dougy

Richo
26-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Gentle turn or full lock.... At what speed?
Could be transfer case is locked, diffs are dodgy or front diff has a locker in it, could be suspension arms or shock bushes.... Steering box, tie rods, ball joints....

The Smiths
26-10-2012, 07:57 PM
also loose trackbar plateor worn bushes/mounts

Johnny XJ
27-10-2012, 02:17 PM
is it only when turning left-transmission mount?

Billnick
27-10-2012, 04:42 PM
I'll put my money on a dud uni. But more of a clack rather than a knock.

BillabongXJ
27-10-2012, 11:35 PM
id be guessing uni joint

redneckjeeper
28-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Firstly check the steering box is tearing out of the chassis, XJ have a habit of duing that, secondly, & Im afraid I've fprgotten what its called now, on the opposite side to the steering box is a big crown nut with a split pin thru it, its difficult to get to but that nut has to be super tight, this happened twice on my old xj.

Dustbowl
28-10-2012, 09:32 AM
+1 check your steering box, securely fastened and not cracking around the bolts.

Make sure your Pan hard rod is securely bolted on (Bloody swing off em!! ;)) top and bottom, this also causes you issue.

Bennyjeepster
29-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Gentle turn or full lock.... At what speed?
Could be transfer case is locked, diffs are dodgy or front diff has a locker in it, could be suspension arms or shock bushes.... Steering box, tie rods, ball joints....

it knocks regardless of if i'm moving or stationery mainly when turning right to full lock and on the way back from full lock...so it's like *turn right full lock *knock* then back *knock*...if that makes sense..

Bennyjeepster
29-10-2012, 09:30 PM
Firstly check the steering box is tearing out of the chassis, XJ have a habit of duing that, secondly, & Im afraid I've fprgotten what its called now, on the opposite side to the steering box is a big crown nut with a split pin thru it, its difficult to get to but that nut has to be super tight, this happened twice on my old xj.

i've had a look at the steering box and there doesn't seem to be any tearing/shredding around the area (thats if im looking in the right place). thanks mate i'll check up on this crown nut you speak of.

cheers!

Bennyjeepster
29-10-2012, 09:31 PM
could it be the auto locking hubs?

Dustbowl
29-10-2012, 09:42 PM
could it be the auto locking hubs?

highly unlikely, look at your tailshaft (front and back), sometimes they can jostle the muffler, benign... but super irritating

Johnny XJ
29-10-2012, 10:03 PM
mine also knocks badly but only on left turns!

jakob292721
30-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Hi, mine was doing this aswell, once turning left then once on the way back. (stationary) bent my lower steering arm 4wheeling and replaced it with a hd one and it hasn't done it since. Still don't know, presuming problem is the worn tierods. Good luck. :)

Richo
30-10-2012, 01:17 PM
So it knocks once you get to full lock in either direction?
Is the pitman arm tight, or slipping on the splines? (The short arm hanging off the bottom of the steering box, has a big nut on it, needs to be mega tight)

ruffy01
30-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Mine was doing similar, it was the ball joint at the end of the track bar. (Drivers side ;) )
If you get under the front & have some one turn the wheels for you, you should be able to locate it.

junglejuice
30-10-2012, 03:58 PM
If you wanna bring it over later in the week I can have a bit of a look for you, I have plenty of bits here if you require anything to sort it out.
I am at Waterford West...

Bennyjeepster
30-10-2012, 06:15 PM
So it knocks once you get to full lock in either direction?
Is the pitman arm tight, or slipping on the splines? (The short arm hanging off the bottom of the steering box, has a big nut on it, needs to be mega tight)

it knocks on the way to full lock right..then knocks again just coming out of full lock..is the pitman arm the same thing that redneckjeeper was talking about? he mentioned a crown nut that had to be super tight..

Bennyjeepster
30-10-2012, 06:20 PM
If you wanna bring it over later in the week I can have a bit of a look for you, I have plenty of bits here if you require anything to sort it out.
I am at Waterford West...

Thanks for the offer mate. PM sent.

junglejuice
09-11-2012, 05:37 PM
For those interested we found two issues, firstly the steering box output shaft has considerable play and secondly the panhard rod has play at the chassis end.....